Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippy forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@insaneoctane thank you for posting this. I’ve only recently registered to this forum, but I’ve been a reader since 2016, anxiously biding the last 18 months until my Model 3 arrives.

I fell hard for the mission of Tesla - and more broadly, the mission of Elon Musk - several years ago. I’ve been the “Musk evangelical” in my social group ever since, both playing the cheerleader for the cause and countering anti-Tesla (or simply anti-electric car) arguments with the reading and research I’ve done across the several sites I visit daily, including Electrek, Teslarati, /r/teslamotors, WaitButWhy, and this very forum. I am used to playing the part of optimistic, glass-half-full fanboy in these scenarios specifically _because_ I am oftentimes speaking to a skeptical audience in my friends and family.

If I were to construct, in my own fantasy, an ideal forum for Tesla fans - people who are so passionate about Tesla and its mission that they take precious minutes and hours out of their waning, mortal days to discuss the goings-on of a company with other strangers - I would want it to be a space not _only_ for cheerleading, optimism, feverish excitement, and OCD-levels of photo, video, and tweet analysis, but ALSO a space where Tesla fans, in good faith, can be critical, questioning, or cautious about the company they believe in so very, very much.

When I spend so much energy in the outside world championing the company to skeptics, I yearn for a place where I can occasionally be skeptical of the company with its fellow champions.

I believe there has been a fundamental shift over the last decade in how our society approaches discourse, and more importantly, how it perceives dissent amongst “allies.” I live in Los Angeles, and work in the entertainment industry, so much of my friend group skews liberal. The Democratic primaries were an absolute bloodbath on my Facebook feed. If you were rooting for the “wrong” candidate, you were a Traitor to the Party, and even if you supported the _same_ candidate, but not as enthusiastically, you weren’t a legitimate liberal, but rather a pagan of sorts, as you weren’t committed enough to “the cause.”

Let me repeat: I watched some of my closest friends - people who knew each other in real life - say the most awful, cruel, despicable things to each other if they so much as slightly disagreed with what was perceived by “the true believers” to be The One True Way Forward heading into the general. The friends I have who are conservative reported similar phenomena amongst their social circles: never-ending Purity Tests handed out by self-perceived in-group arbiters.

I quit Facebook in November and I haven’t looked back. But I feel that this “all or nothing” style of discussion, this politicization of all aspects of our lives, has been seeping in to non-political forums throughout the internet. And it saddens me greatly, because it sucks the fun out of pretty much every topic, everywhere.

So much of the world is _already_ skeptical or outright hostile to the idea of electric vehicles. I do what I can, in my own small way, to advocate for a cause I know we all believe in. But damn is it ever disheartening to watch the way some folks on this forum both perceive and react to oftentimes well-reasoned, or well-earned concerns, critiques, or questions about the company so many of us deeply believe in.

I meant every word of this post, but it speaks volumes that I felt the need to prove my bonafides up front before I got to the meat of it.

I love Tesla and its mission. I value this forum; I would love for it to be a space where we can all speak freely without fear of being labeled a Traitor to the Party.

I imagine that many of you feel the same.

I am NOT enjoying the level of negativity and snippiness of late. I know many of the members are anxious and even frustrated, but the average quality of the posts in this forum has declined IMO. Did the MS/MX sub forums also experience this as production struggled to ramp up?

The psychological ages of those here are far more widely distributed than either 1) the physical ages, or 2) the incomes needed to buy a Tesla.

@insaneoctane thank you for posting this. I’ve only recently registered to this forum, but I’ve been a reader since 2016, anxiously biding the last 18 months until my Model 3 arrives.

I fell hard for the mission of Tesla - and more broadly, the mission of Elon Musk - several years ago. I’ve been the “Musk evangelical” in my social group ever since, both playing the cheerleader for the cause and countering anti-Tesla (or simply anti-electric car) arguments with the reading and research I’ve done across the several sites I visit daily, including Electrek, Teslarati, /r/teslamotors, WaitButWhy, and this very forum. I am used to playing the part of optimistic, glass-half-full fanboy in these scenarios specifically _because_ I am oftentimes speaking to a skeptical audience in my friends and family.

If I were to construct, in my own fantasy, an ideal forum for Tesla fans - people who are so passionate about Tesla and its mission that they take precious minutes and hours out of their waning, mortal days to discuss the goings-on of a company with other strangers - I would want it to be a space not _only_ for cheerleading, optimism, feverish excitement, and OCD-levels of photo, video, and tweet analysis, but ALSO a space where Tesla fans, in good faith, can be critical, questioning, or cautious about the company they believe in so very, very much.

When I spend so much energy in the outside world championing the company to skeptics, I yearn for a place where I can occasionally be skeptical of the company with its fellow champions.

I believe there has been a fundamental shift over the last decade in how our society approaches discourse, and more importantly, how it perceives dissent amongst “allies.” I live in Los Angeles, and work in the entertainment industry, so much of my friend group skews liberal. The Democratic primaries were an absolute bloodbath on my Facebook feed. If you were rooting for the “wrong” candidate, you were a Traitor to the Party, and even if you supported the _same_ candidate, but not as enthusiastically, you weren’t a legitimate liberal, but rather a pagan of sorts, as you weren’t committed enough to “the cause.”

Let me repeat: I watched some of my closest friends - people who knew each other in real life - say the most awful, cruel, despicable things to each other if they so much as slightly disagreed with what was perceived by “the true believers” to be The One True Way Forward heading into the general. The friends I have who are conservative reported similar phenomena amongst their social circles: never-ending Purity Tests handed out by self-perceived in-group arbiters.

I quit Facebook in November and I haven’t looked back. But I feel that this “all or nothing” style of discussion, this politicization of all aspects of our lives, has been seeping in to non-political forums throughout the internet. And it saddens me greatly, because it sucks the fun out of pretty much every topic, everywhere.

So much of the world is _already_ skeptical or outright hostile to the idea of electric vehicles. I do what I can, in my own small way, to advocate for a cause I know we all believe in. But damn is it ever disheartening to watch the way some folks on this forum both perceive and react to oftentimes well-reasoned, or well-earned concerns, critiques, or questions about the company so many of us deeply believe in.

I meant every word of this post, but it speaks volumes that I felt the need to prove my bonafides up front before I got to the meat of it.

I love Tesla and its mission. I value this forum; I would love for it to be a space where we can all speak freely without fear of being labeled a Traitor to the Party.

there are some people who need to go find a good echo chamber. regardless of the worth of somene's opinion they are free to hold them and even express them, everyone will have an opinion and many time those opinions will not be in lock step with popular opinion. either people can learn how to survive in a world that appears to be imperfect to them or they could cloister themselves inside of an echo chamber where only their views can be heard.

Let me quote a line from your post.

"I love Tesla and its mission. I value this forum; I would love for it to be a space where we can all speak freely without fear of being labeled a Traitor to the Party."

That's exactly how I feel.

Truth first - no matter what.

For what its worth, I feel that when people fanboy for tesla (or any company really) thats when everyone from the tesla haters to reasonable tesla supporters will get extra "loud" or "negative" to balance out the blind optimism of said fanboys. It could also be more to say "see fanboy!? your company isnt so perfect, so stop your constant cheerleading! Wheres your Messiah now???" as opposed to anger at tesla.

I will also add that I get the feeling that many forum members here were never car guys before, so, a lot of said cheerleading comes from ignorance to the industry as well as not being used to having "feelings" about cars/car companies.

I am NOT enjoying the level of negativity and snippiness of late. I know many of the members are anxious and even frustrated, but the average quality of the posts in this forum has declined IMO.
I don't like the way California does it and I think they should not be so greedy and presumptuous as to try and tax someone twice. Greed............Or, maybe California should review their tax policy BEFORE they send all their higher income earners away and try to pay for the "sanctuary state" on the back of just a few..........You really shouldn't assume that if Brown does it, it is good because my opinion is the contrary.
I don't like Brown and think being a "sanctuary state " is embarrassing.

Greedy California leadership is CONSTANTLY trying to find ways to get around prop 13.

Well said @Migdilio
I can only speak for myself but since we're waiting so long for our car, I think it's only natural that we have a wide range of emotions that accompany our journey. I've been on a pendulum of excitement, concerns, joys, and doubts. And like @kablammyman said, I've never had these "feelings" for a car before so that adds to it all. It's been a fun journey though and the moment I get my car it'll all be worth it

Reactions: Garlan Garner
@T34ME....Touché. You stumbled upon one of my hot buttons (California leadership) and I took the shot. I can assure you my replies were tempered ;). I think, relative to my OP, that the negativity that I am speaking of is, unfortunately toxic...several posters have made excellent observations....between "the natives getting restless" and the fading ability in America to hear alternatives to our opinions and remain objective, many posters are struggling (apparently myself included). I do enjoy the objective conversations here and hope for many more good quality ones in the future.

Last edited:
I am NOT enjoying the level of negativity and snippiness of late. I know many of the members are anxious and even frustrated, but the average quality of the posts in this forum has declined IMO. Did the MS/MX sub forums also experience this as production struggled to ramp up?

This is my first time being a part of a car release like this. I have been a part of many iPhone build ups and console build ups. But I have seen the negativity here climb and climb. There is a lot of negativity about all the features that people aren't getting, even at this stage of released info. I understand some people thought this $35k car was going to have HUD, and Tow hitch, AM radio, free charging , and solar recharging roof, and a grill option, and dual displays, and 100 other things, and are pissed about it. And there is nothing you can do to calm them. They expect.... no they demand these features be included or they cancel their reservation.

I liked probably 5 months ago when everyone was still speculating and it was positive and fun. People were creating resources for those of us without Tesla experience, and sharing information from their current experiences. I miss those days :-(

This is my first time being a part of a car release like this. I have been a part of many iPhone build ups and console build ups. But I have seen the negativity here climb and climb. There is a lot of negativity about all the features that people aren't getting, even at this stage of released info. I understand some people thought this $35k car was going to have HUD, and Tow hitch, AM radio, free charging , and solar recharging roof, and a grill option, and dual displays, and 100 other things, and are pissed about it. And there is nothing you can do to calm them. They expect.... no they demand these features be included or they cancel their reservation.

I liked probably 5 months ago when everyone was still speculating and it was positive and fun. People were creating resources for those of us without Tesla experience, and sharing information from their current experiences. I miss those days :-(

I know the real reason everything started to go negative on the forum.....

It happened just after Elon put all the Easter Eggs in an easily accessible menu.

Easter is about searching for Easter Eggs just like Jesus intended...

Now all I have are firmware updates and discussions of bottlenecks and auto-sensing wipers.... I'm just saying, hide the damn eggs Elon....