Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snoqualmie summit Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last 6 years I've had an Audi S6 with aggressive snow tires (Blizzaks). I'm going up to Snoqualmie summit for a work ski event and was wondering thoughts on using the OE All Seasons (20" ContiSilent 265/45R20) to get around. I was looking at the chains but $440 for the OE chains seems excessive when a set of winter tires is $1000.

If possible I'd like to get by with the Continentals. I've always had a summer/winter setup in the past and I'd like to get there eventually but I don't want to until the all seasons are toast.

Looks like you have dual motors. All Seasons should be great for Snoqualmie. We usually get around just fine with our rear wheel drive 60 using all seasons. If you want to be super safe, get chains on Amazon for $90 and bring a shovel.

From experience, if the pass requires chains on AWD=> state patrol usually shuts down I-90 pretty fast for accidents are avalanches.

Turning down the regenerative brakes helps in slippery conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: Xtek
If you want cheaper chains, look into Autosocks. They are legal in WA state when chains are required. Other non-Tesla-recommended cable chains can cause serious damage. By law, you are required to carry chains for at least one set of drive tires even with AWD.

Yes, by law you must carry them "when traffic control signs are posted by the department of transportation."

But there is no indication that you are always required to carry chains. That would be ridiculous.
Ah, I see what you mean, that would be silly. I assumed that since the thread was about going over the pass when chains are needed, I read the statement about requiring chains to be carried in that light.

A dedicated weather wimp like me who is only in WA in the summer would definitely be PO'd if I had to buy snow chains and cart them around.

I took my X100D up to the pass last Saturday. Was snowing heavily past mile 35, snow & ice covering the road past mile 40.

The X handled it like a champ. Not a single moment of slipping or lack of traction. Much better than the ICE 4wd vehicles around me.

The traction control on Teslas I continue to advocate as the best money can buy. Massively impressed with the Ds and even RWD are substantially better, and more predictable, than any other.

Still need to be careful with this traction control as these cars are very heavy and whilst it’s very good at ensuring traction under acceleration, I’m not Seeing the same level of advantage with the braking systems ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: goneskiian and Xtek
The traction control on Teslas I continue to advocate as the best money can buy. Massively impressed with the Ds and even RWD are substantially better, and more predictable, than any other.

Still need to be careful with this traction control as these cars are very heavy and whilst it’s very good at ensuring traction under acceleration, I’m not Seeing the same level of advantage with the braking systems ;)

Yeah in the Audi community people routinely responded with "Quattro helps you go, it doesn't help you stop". It's important to know with such a heavy car once you break static friction all bets are off.

Reactions: MikeBur
Nice.

’ve had some incidents on the fine edge where acceleration was required to regain control... there’s a definite pucker moment when finding that balance.

I actually run snow tires in the winter, purely for the ability to steer and brake more comfortably over the passes :)

Edit: I run summer perf tires. They are deadly below 35 imo :). All seasons are a lot better than summer tires in snow...

Yeah we had a P85D loaner and were just going to take it up to the pass until I noticed it was running the Conti max performance summer tires. That would have been fun.

We once had Pilot Super Sports on our S6 when a cold snap came through and made for a pucker-ridden 35 minute commute.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
Ha! No kidding about ultra performance summer tires being death traps in the cold.

I've got Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for my STI and if I haven't changed to winter tires yet and it's below 40 it feels like the tires are made of steel and grip accordingly - and that's in the dry. Heaven help me if it's wet or actually below freezing.

I watched my dad get his IS-F running PS Cup 2s stuck half way out of the garage with 2 inches of snow. So little grip it couldn't overcome the rolling resistance of the tires still in the garage.

NEVER run summer tires in the cold!

interesting!

my house has a long driveway and it's downhill. it's not crazy steep or anything but when there was a lot of snow, my old fwd toyota sienna was scary...it lost control and skidded down the entire driveway and luckily slowed down at the bottom near the house when it flattens out.

after that experience, i've been scared to try driving down the driveway with any car so we just park up on the main street and walk down. it's only around 50 or 100 yards maybe so it's not really far. i didn't try it with the X since i don't have snow tires. i have chains but never used them.

maybe i'll try it in the X...

as for chains, I got these am amazon. they seem relatively easy to put on and don't seem like they will damage the wheels but i don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N7ZV8R/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my house has a long driveway and it's downhill. it's not crazy steep or anything but when there was a lot of snow, my old fwd toyota sienna was scary...it lost control and skidded down the entire driveway and luckily slowed down at the bottom near the house when it flattens out.

The type of car doesn’t matter when going downhill safely. Snow tires on a Honda Civic will give you more control downhill and around turns than All Season tires on a Model X.

To go uphill with confidence then AWD really matters, but snow tires are more important on flats and downhills.