Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow and Ice effect on sensors

Cptvn

Aug 19, 2020
Lawrence, Kansas
I had a situation yesterday. My Model Y front and rear bumpers were covered with ice and snow causing the vehicle to think that it was blocked by some objects and refused to allow me to move the vehicle. After trying to debug for a while, I came to this realization and cleaned off the snow and ice, and this resolved the situation and allowed me to move the vehicle. Does anyone encounter the same situation? Thanks.

hcdavis3

HCD3
Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2019
I had a situation yesterday. My Model Y front and rear bumpers were covered with ice and snow causing the vehicle to think that it was blocked by some objects and refused to allow me to move the vehicle. After trying to debug for a while, I came to this realization and cleaned off the snow and ice, and this resolved the situation and allowed me to move the vehicle. Does anyone encounter the same situation? Thanks.
Seems normal to me.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Preconditioning will defrost the Autopilot cameras, radar array, parking sensors and de-ice the charging port. Depending on temperature and weather you may need to precondition for at least 30 minutes. Use a snow brush to clear snow and ice off the front hood, roof and rear glass. You will also need to clear snow and ice from the headlights and tail lights as the LEDs do not generate enough heat to melt snow and ice.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I have an Audi A4 that has some sensors for collision warning, bumper object proximity, etc and those will become non-functional when they get iced over. If your glasses are fogged up, you can’t see, right? The should still be drivable, however, just without autopilot, etc.

WattsappMTL

Nov 2, 2020
Montreal
No, and no

Actually, yes and no. Last week while driving on the highway in snow, I had a slush buildup on the front bumper which eventually caused the radar to declare itself inoperative, and as a consequence autopilot became unavailable. At the same time, snow accumulated on the rear bumper and blocked the parking sensors so I got a constant "Stop" warning when I backed up. Neither had a direct impact on the operation of the vehicle but autopilot stayed off until I cleaned the bumper manually.

Reactions: JAM3S

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
Actually, yes and no. Last week while driving on the highway in snow, I had a slush buildup on the front bumper which eventually caused the radar to declare itself inoperative, and as a consequence autopilot became unavailable. At the same time, snow accumulated on the rear bumper and blocked the parking sensors so I got a constant "Stop" warning when I backed up. Neither had a direct impact on the operation of the vehicle but autopilot stayed off until I cleaned the bumper manually.

This happened to me recently on a short drive. Blowing, wet snow caused a slight build up on snow on the front bumper and prevented AP from activating. Radar wasn't working properly. The whole bumper should be heated! :D

WattsappMTL

Nov 2, 2020
Montreal
This happened to me recently on a short drive. Blowing, wet snow caused a slight build up on snow on the front bumper and prevented AP from activating. Radar wasn't working properly. The whole bumper should be heated! :D
Yes, but in those conditions you shouldn't be using autopilot anyway so it's probably not worth the cost and energy consumption. Still, it makes one wonder how FSD can be practical for all weather conditions.....

MY2Ski

Jun 2, 2020
Portland, OR
2020MY at MHM 12 17.jpg

I have been driving my MY regularly in severe snow conditions to and from Mount Hood Meadows (with a 162" base at the lodge). Have not had any driving problems but get various warnings of blocked sensors (some of these are even on sunny snow free days). The backup camera has gotten covered many times and it still will allow me to back up (looking at the mirrors and side cameras). I have also noticed that sometimes the parking/proximity sensors get un accurate when covered. This has some jeopardy in that it indicates it is safe to proceed when something is really getting too close.
I have only tried autopilot in the snow a few times and most of the time it will not engage or turn off shortly after engagement.
The pre heating/defrost works great. I turn on the defrost with my phone at the top of my last ski run and by the time I get to the car it is warm and the windshield is wet or at least easy to clear without having to scrape any ice. Many times it has been much more covered with snow and ice than the picture above shows.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC