Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chain configuration from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks, I just opened up the box of snow chains (Maggi Trak 4x4 51 LT) from Tesla and found that the configuration they shipped me does not match the configuration the Tesla website says I should use, PLUS they left out all the other configuration options... so I can't reconfigure them to match what the Tesla website says I need to use, and I can never configure these chains for any other vehicle.

I have a X100D with 20" slipstreams with winter tires (purchased from Tesla in the same transaction as the snow chains.)

According to Maggi the fitment kit should include:
* 4 bolt lengths (XS, S, M, L)
* 3 lug nut sockets (17, 19, 21mm)
* 2 spacers (red and blue)
* 2 shorteners

According to Tesla's site, I should use the M bolt and the red spacer, along with the 21mm socket.

The box arrived containing the L bolts, the red and blue spacers and the 19mm socket installed; the shorteners removed. This is NOT what the manufacturer says it should arrive from the factory with - they indicate in the manual it should arrive with the XS bolt connected to the 17mm socket and no installed spacer; it's unclear if the shortener is installed or not. So i assume when Tesla opened it to insert their instruction brochure they also reconfigured them? And tossed the extra parts?

So, two questions:

1. What configuration are folks using with their X on 20" slipstreams?
2. Did anyone buy these from Tesla and get *all* the parts Maggi says you should?

And before folks jump in with the "you don't need chains" commentary I see all over my searches for chains on this forum, on the main Tesla forums and on reddit... if that's what you're bringing to the conversation, just move on to the next post, you don't know where I'll be driving and what I'll need... with luck, these will never come out of the bag, but legally I'm required to have them where I live and where I drive. I have previously been required to show that I had chains to progress, and I have in the past had to hang iron to get where I needed to go, even with AWD, serious traction tires and 20 years experience driving in northern latitudes and mountains.

To close the loop in case anyone else is interested... I just got off the phone with Tesla support... who finally tracked down someone in the ecommerce section who knew anything about these. The recommended configuration on their website is no longer correct. They configured the chains for my specific wheels before shipping them. So I guess I paid more (if you can find a set direct from the manufacturer, they usually run about $60 less than from Tesla) and got less (my chains can now only be used with this wheel/tire size combo) but did get the right thing.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I came to the same conclusion when I gave in and ordered the more expensive Tesla set, but only after trying to order the Maggi set from Amazon, having it not show up, and having Amazon cancel the order and credit my account (after they presumably figured out the seller wasn't delivering).

I was suspicious whether the lugnut size was right, but I haven't installed them yet. Better give it a shot before I need them and they don't fit.

So, did yours actually end up fitting??

I went out in the garage and popped the plastic lug nut cover off yesterday and successfully fit the center post into it... it's a slightly snug fit, so I did have to push a bit to get it seated all the way in, but that's actually a good thing in my experience. Also had to rotate slightly to get it lined up on the lug correctly... betting that's why it didn't feel right the first time.

I also laid the chains around about 3/4 of the tire... all but the bottom was on, and it was fitting about as I would expect. I think the instructions Tesla provides to fit them that far, then drive half a wheel rotation and fit the final 1/4 will be perfect. The manufacturers claims about just fitting that far then driving off are crazy imho.

So yes, what they shipped fits so far as I can tell without a full installation. If I have the unfortunate requirement to use them in the next couple weeks on my big roadtrip through the mountains I'll be sure to post back results. :)

Hey! I actually bought a set that of the LT51 that was about $80 off from somewhere else. Let me know if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the contact. They are the exact same. The instructions are a little off from the kit as the 17mm isn't included anymore. I just reconfigured my kit to the Tesla standard and 21mm, took only about 10 min to do. Hoping never to use them on my X, came close to it this past weekend in Tahoe. Just gotta show 'em when Chain Control asks...