Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get asked if I have chains on a relatively regular basis in the central Sierra, never have actually used them but usually have them. I bought the tesla chains and it seem like they are the only option because the suspension prevents full wrap around the back of the wheel type chains.

Also if you do get the chains you should also get a lug nut cap remover because the chains don't fit over the caps on the stock 20"s. Tested mine in the garage a few weeks ago.

View attachment 201763
Where did you get the lug nut cap remover?

My S is not AWD. This was over Donner Pass coming home from Tahoe. It tore up suspension parts because, even at under 25mph, the chains moved enough to rub it. I had them on the car only over the pass where it was required, no more. Lesson learned.
My Z chain seems to be going to be for show and tell only. I will install them to see how they fit, but ohmman's comments make me nervous.

My Z chain seems to be going to be for show and tell only. I will install them to see how they fit, but ohmman's comments make me nervous.
I also looked at the Z cables for the X. I have a set for both my Leaf and Prius, and really like them. I was also having a hard time with the $500 price tag of the TM chains. But I'm going for the TM chains anyway...my fear is having body or suspension damage from "unapproved" chains and paying even more than the $500 for repairs.

I also looked at the Z cables for the X. I have a set for both my Leaf and Prius, and really like them. I was also having a hard time with the $500 price tag of the TM chains. But I'm going for the TM chains anyway...my fear is having body or suspension damage from "unapproved" chains and paying even more than the $500 for repairs.

Not sure why anyone would consider using chains for a Model X or Model S with AWD?
The AWD traction with M+S rated is tires is far better than needed in almost all winter conditions except R3.
I drive to Tahoe all winter long, and my Model S with dual motor outperforms my BMW X5 by a large margin. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: aesculus
I agree with @FlatSix911 . Just buy the cheapest cable chains you can that fit the tires. Use them to show the CalTRANs checkpoint if they ask (which I have never had with dozens of chain controls passed). If your MS/MX with AWD and good M&S tires cannot cut the mustard, you should turn around or pull over and wait out the storm. If you absolutely get stuck, throw them on just to get unstuck and don't drive more than 5 mph until you reach a place you can safely drive again with just the M&S tires.

BTW: The biggest reason CalTRANS puts up chain restrictions is to slow everyone down, otherwise they would drive too fast and pile up in seconds. I have seen plenty of AWD cars and pickups that were upside down on the side of the road because the drivers failed to maintain control, mostly on steeper, winding roads. Don't be that guy or gal.

Not sure why anyone would consider using chains for a Model X or Model S with AWD?
The AWD traction with M+S rated is tires is far better than needed in almost all winter conditions except R3.
I drive to Tahoe all winter long, and my Model S with dual motor outperforms my BMW X5 by a large margin. :cool:
I agree with @FlatSix911 . Just buy the cheapest cable chains you can that fit the tires. Use them to show the CalTRANs checkpoint if they ask (which I have never had with dozens of chain controls passed). If your MS/MX with AWD and good M&S tires cannot cut the mustard, you should turn around or pull over and wait out the storm. If you absolutely get stuck, throw them on just to get unstuck and don't drive more than 5 mph until you reach a place you can safely drive again with just the M&S tires.

BTW: The biggest reason CalTRANS puts up chain restrictions is to slow everyone down, otherwise they would drive too fast and pile up in seconds. I have seen plenty of AWD cars and pickups that were upside down on the side of the road because the drivers failed to maintain control, mostly on steeper, winding roads. Don't be that guy or gal.

Is more snow expected this season, I heard news about La Nina. So apparently less rain in SoCal but more in NoCal?
I will just take my old MDX chains and show it to them if I get pulled over, not sure what I would do if they told me to put it on?

The AWD traction with M+S rated is tires is far better than needed in almost all winter conditions except R3
When Colorado DOT implements full Chain Law, chains are required, even on all wheel drive vehicles, and regardless of the tire type.
I travel in the Rockies during the winter and want the insurance of good chains.

When Colorado DOT implements full Chain Law, chains are required, even on all wheel drive vehicles, and regardless of the tire type.
I travel in the Rockies during the winter and want the insurance of good chains.
Calif is more conservative. We have the same rule - Restriction R3. This is the reason they want to know if you have chains, even with AWD and M&S tires.

But the CHP has almost always shut down the highways when it gets to that because most Californians cannot handle that type of driving and they end up getting in the way of the snowplows or worse, get stuck or in an accident.

My S is not AWD. This was over Donner Pass coming home from Tahoe. It tore up suspension parts because, even at under 25mph, the chains moved enough to rub it. I had them on the car only over the pass where it was required, no more. Lesson learned.
Ohmman - would really appreciate your advice! This winter before a trip from SF Bay area to Mt Ashland in Oregon in our MX 100D 20" tires, the Tesl
20190221_20-35-11_Riddle_2250.jpg
20190221_20-34-28_Riddle_2246.jpg
a-approved chains were sold out, and it was 6 weeks delivery and even more expensive to order them from the European manufacturer. I saw your post about Z-chains. But, snow was predicted for I-5 around Mt Shasta. So with trepidation I ordered some TC741D Titan low-profile z-cables. I then rigged up the custom standoff/tensioner modification shown in the picture using a 13/16" socket, some 1/2" steel square stock, 1/4-20 eyebolts, and some heavy gauge copper wire. The intent is to both increase the tension to keep the cables tight against the tires up to ~25 mph, and also keep the rims from being marred by the cable end plates. We never needed them, but am interested in whether you think this would have prevented suspension damage.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911