Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains Alternative -- Snow Socks

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I saw a couple of Teslas in the Discount Tire waiting lot and wondered why they were there. Apparently, they regularly service Tesla owners' tires. I asked what kind of snow chains they recommend and they said "none of the above," as the wheel-well clearances are too tight. "So I'm stuck?"
They pulled up an ad for a new kind of "tire chain" called a snow sock. I did some research and found there are several varieties of these new traction devices. These "socks" slip over the tire like a sock and can provide enough traction to get through snow and ice. I found that Amazon's price (for my 20" tires) was better than at DT, so I ordered a pair.
AUTOSOCK 698 Size-698 Tire Chain Alternative.
Has anyone tried these? They're a lot cheaper than the Trax or other traditional chain systems that seem to have so many other issues.

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
I agree about “chains” on the X. I have them but never have used them, finding the winter tire kit to be plenty sufficient.

I’d be more curious if these “socks” meet legal requirements as alternatives to chains.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC