Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains for a model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clicked the "notify me when available" button and got several notifications. One I ignored, the next I responded to within two hours (and discovered that I hadn't acted fast enough, they were already sold out) and the third time was the charm. They seem to restock the tire chains pretty frequently.

Chains to use regularly or just to carry, use in an emergency?

Snow Socks
I clicked the "notify me when available" button and got several notifications. One I ignored, the next I responded to within two hours (and discovered that I hadn't acted fast enough, they were already sold out) and the third time was the charm. They seem to restock the tire chains pretty frequently.
Thx

After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw

After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw
FB03AEC4-E53A-49F1-9818-347D0639C8D6.jpeg
FB03AEC4-E53A-49F1-9818-347D0639C8D6.jpeg

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 Amazon.com
+1 The Konig chains available on the Tesla website for the MY will shred the 20" induction wheels. DO NOT BUY OR USE THESE!!!!

I haven't order mine yet but my brother using AutoSock on his Model Y with great success. You can check the correct part number at autosock.us then order thru Amazon. Also, check with your state for compliance. Here's the link for the one for Gemini on Amazon: https://a.co/d/7rA6ooG
Hi,
Someone on the review page said the 697 size was too big for 255/45R19. That's what's recommended on the autosock site as well as what you linked. Did yours fit well?

people dont use chains. get dedicated snow tires and even better. get them studded, snow chains are junk
This is the reality if you live in California and plan to visit the ski resorts.

"There are 3 ways to and from Big Bear Lake, CA. During the winter months of November - April, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. By law, snow chains or cables must be carried in your vehicle at all times during winter months."

Real-Time Road Conditions and Snow Chains Requirements to Big Bear

Similar snow chain or tire cable restrictions apply during winter storm conditions on I-80 to the Lake Tahoe region.

Road Conditions - Go Tahoe North

s
This is the reality if you live in California and plan to visit the ski resorts.

"There are 3 ways to and from Big Bear Lake, CA. During the winter months of November - April, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. By law, snow chains or cables must be carried in your vehicle at all times during winter months."

Real-Time Road Conditions and Snow Chains Requirements to Big Bear

Similar snow chain or tire cable restrictions apply during winter storm conditions on I-80 to the Lake Tahoe region.

Road Conditions - Go Tahoe North
i know plenty of people who go there all the time and do not have issues with passing through enforcement when they see they have studded tires

There’s only 5

There’s only 5 states where its illegal and 4 of them are all the way down south lol.
Here are the facts regarding studded tires for passenger vehicles:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/studded-winter-tires

There are six states that have no restrictions on the use of studded tires. In Kentucky, Colorado, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming you can use these tires as you wish.

Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties). Only six states permit the use of studded tires without restriction: Colorado, Kentucky, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming. Most of the remaining states allow studded tires with date restrictions. For example, in Washington State where the TireBuyer offices are located, studded tires are permitted from November 1-March 31.

Here are the facts regarding studded tires for passenger vehicles:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/studded-winter-tires

There are six states that have no restrictions on the use of studded tires. In Kentucky, Colorado, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming you can use these tires as you wish.

Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin (some of these states allow tires with rubber studs; Maryland allows studs only in certain counties). Only six states permit the use of studded tires without restriction: Colorado, Kentucky, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, and Wyoming. Most of the remaining states allow studded tires with date restrictions. For example, in Washington State where the TireBuyer offices are located, studded tires are permitted from November 1-March 31.
and the thing is no one cares lol have a few friends in Minnesota who all run nokian metal studded for years now as at the end of the day being safer out weighs most peoples thought on "oh i hope i dont get pulled over because my car has more grip than others"