Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snow chains for model X, asap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone know where to buy model X snow chains for stock 20 inch rims?

online store seems to have been sold out for the past several months... amazon doesn't sell em...

i couldn't find anything on ebay... any idea if other brands will be compatible?

thanks.

AFAIK, you shouldn't use anything but the crazy expensive Trak 4x4 snow chains on Teslas because of their unique suspension design...any chain that wraps around the back of the tire can damage the suspension. The ones for Model X are $500...which has caused me to think twice about taking her to Mammoth this season (and it kills me knowing that Mammoth has recorded a record for January snowfall...AND IT IS STILL COMING DOWN!).

Tesla — Model X Snow Chain - Trak 4X4

Find your trak

Last edited:
The official chain has been out of stock for a while and no service center seems to be carrying it. This is what I got as an inexpensive backup for the upcoming trip: sz441 super z-6
Did a test fit a few days ago and it seems to fit fine with plenty of clearance in the back.

Has anyone tried these ... Price: $11.34 Car Truck SUV Safe Snow Tire Wheel Chain Anti-skid Belt Universal Yellow | eBay

upload_2017-1-20_22-30-40.png

Last edited:
I bought these:

Thule K-Summit Low Profile Light Truck / SUV Snow Chain, Size K67 (Sold in pairs) Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low Profile Light Truck / SUV Snow Chain, Size K67 (Sold in pairs): Automotive

They work great! Really smooth riding, even on concrete.

I would practice putting them on - attaching them to the lugs is difficult. Also: you have to take out a variable number of springs to accommodate your tires. The guidance in the instructions suggests 0, but I found I needed to remove 3.

You can only put them on the rear, just as the ones from Tesla. Normally on a 4wd car you put them on all 4, but there are some parts of the suspension in the front with nearly no clearance and it doesn't look possible.

I bought these:

Thule K-Summit Low Profile Light Truck / SUV Snow Chain, Size K67 (Sold in pairs) Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low Profile Light Truck / SUV Snow Chain, Size K67 (Sold in pairs): Automotive

I would practice putting them on - attaching them to the lugs is difficult. Also: you have to take out a variable number of springs to accommodate your tires. The guidance in the instructions suggests 0, but I found I needed to remove 3.

You can only put them on the rear, just as the ones from Tesla. Normally on a 4wd car you put them on all 4, but there are some parts of the suspension in the front with nearly no clearance and it doesn't look possible.
FYI: Amazon indicates that the Thule K-Summit K67 are not compatible with Tesla Model-X.

I bought these:

thats what i was talking about mine was the k55 it doesnt snow down here enough to need chains .. If i get time i'll see if they even fit on the model x but i bought them a few years back and never took them outta the bag

thats what i was talking about mine was the k55 it doesnt snow down here enough to need chains

The standard tires that come with the car are an odd ratio and the k55s are too small. Here is a link to the instructions, which includes a listing of the supported rim size as tire size supported by each model. K67 works for the standard 265/45 r 20 tire:

https://snowchains.co.uk/_pdf/instructions_k_summit.pdf