Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

snow chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can not emphasize enough that anyone who tells you that M+S and AWD will make you safe in the mountains isn't giving you advice. M+S can very from kind of ok to absolutely a death trap, Never good.

And AWD does absolutely nothing for you when using the brakes.

Every cars traction depends on the rubber hitting the road. No what some "local" on a forum suggest that won't be there when you get into trouble.

From some non local on a forum [emoji19]

I know how to drive in ice\snow and understand completely what AWD does, and doesn't, do for you. I have never lived in a climate where I needed winter tires as "all season" was "fine" and from what I can tell the tires on my S90D are M+S, which again, should be just fine if you know what you're doing. My only question is whether or not in CA, on US 50 to South Lake Tahoe, in the chain control areas does CHP enforce to the letter of the law\sign? I'm not buying chains for ONE yearly trip during the winter to SLT if I don't absolutely have to.

Jeff

I know how to drive in ice\snow and understand completely what AWD does, and doesn't, do for you. I have never lived in a climate where I needed winter tires as "all season" was "fine" and from what I can tell the tires on my S90D are M+S, which again, should be just fine if you know what you're doing. My only question is whether or not in CA, on US 50 to South Lake Tahoe, in the chain control areas does CHP enforce to the letter of the law\sign? I'm not buying chains for ONE yearly trip during the winter to SLT if I don't absolutely have to.

Jeff

My advice is to buy a pair of chains, even if they will only serve you as ballast in the trunk. Cheap insurance for CHP forcing you to go home.

Based on this link, there may be cases when chains will be required even for AWD. More details here: Caltrans Winter Driving Tips Chain Controls

Jeff
Most of the time, they have R2 control which for 4WD drive cars is snow tires only, no chains required (although they only look at tread depth). They say that you should "carry chains" but I have never seen them look for the chains. I've had 4WD vehicles for 35 years and never carry chains and never have been turned back. Forecast is for snow this weekend.
YMMV

Most of the time, they have R2 control which for 4WD drive cars is snow tires only, no chains required (although they only look at tread depth). They say that you should "carry chains" but I have never seen them look for the chains. I've had 4WD vehicles for 35 years and never carry chains and never have been turned back. Forecast is for snow this weekend.
YMMV

Thanks!!! Yeah as you can tell from my post before yours I went ahead and got a pair just to have, just in case... :) I'm looking forward to the possible major winter storm(s) coming up... Possibly... :)

Jeff

Based on what I've read here, and on new Trak Sport Snow Chains on Tesla Store, I think I'll order the SCC Z-563 cables mentioned above. Amazon currently has them for about $87, with Prime delivery. We've had SCC Z cables for our other cars and they work fine. I'm skeptical that spending $400 for the Trak Sport chains at the Tesla store would make sense for us, given the problems some have had with those chains coming off while driving.

I bought the original Z chains sold by Tesla two years ago, and used them on my prior 2013 P85. I now have an 85D. Do I use them on the front tires? I would think so.
I am heading up to Mammoth this morning and a big storm is due.

I bought the original Z chains sold by Tesla two years ago, and used them on my prior 2013 P85. I now have an 85D. Do I use them on the front tires? I would think so.
I am heading up to Mammoth this morning and a big storm is due.
I've never used chains on 4WD cars and you'll probably be fine in Mammoth without them but if it comes to it, here's some advice from a reliable source.

Allow me a word about traction first:

A car needs traction for 4 things: lateral stability, acceleration, steering and braking.

4WD gets you 100% more traction than 2WD. Good!

We all know, rubber tires on snow and ice have very little traction.
So, in 4WD you get 100% more of very little. That isn't much!
It might be enough to get you over the snowy pass. Definitely it is not enough to be really safe. Only aggressive steel tire chains put between the tire and the surface of the road increase traction to a truly safe level.

Only tire chains increase traction of rubber tires on snow and ice significantly!

Back to the question, what happens when you mount tire chains on either front or rear:

On 4WD vehicles:

• Snow chains mounted on all 4 with 4WD/AWD
- ideal lateral stability, perfect acceleration, crisp steering, super braking. However, part time systems will show some understeer (turns are wider than intended). Full time 4WD systems are best. This is what everyone should have for snow and ice. Be careful anyway.
Snow chains mounted on front axle with 4WD/AWD - good acceleration, good steering, good braking. However, since the rear wheels have no lateral guidance, the rear end might come around - fast. Not good. Feather your brakes. Go slow.
• Snow chains mounted on rear axle with 4WD/AWD - good acceleration, lousy steering (no lateral guidance), marginal braking (remember, 80% of brake force is created at front wheels and without chains that ain't happening). No fishtailing. Best compromise for 4WD with only one pair of chains. Go slow.

Has anyone experimented with use of the Swiss-made "Spikes-Spider" product for winter traction on a Tesla? I used this system on my
old Volvo station wagon with great success. They are a snap (literally) to get on and off, compared to tradtional chains.

I've never used chains on 4WD cars and you'll probably be fine in Mammoth without them but if it comes to it, here's some advice from a reliable source.

Allow me a word about traction first:

A car needs traction for 4 things: lateral stability, acceleration, steering and braking.

4WD gets you 100% more traction than 2WD. Good!

4WD gets you 100% more (maybe) traction during acceleration. It has near-zero improvement on anything else, especially braking. Does this not seem obvious to anyone else?

Anybody know about the reports of suspension abrasion from Z-chains? I don't know whether the reports are for 19" or 21" wheels, or RWD vs. AWD cars (they didn't say)...I have a set (RWD S85) but am hesitant to use them until I can validate or dismiss the suspension issues...

I just spoke to tesla service and they said that the Z-chains are perfectly fine - when installed correctly, and that they tested them for many miles before offering them. They switched because the newer chains are easier to install.
The install procedure requires you to install, drive the car a few feet, and then stop and re-tighten the chains. And the chains are only to be used on 19" wheels.
I don't know what to say about the reports of damage...broken chains? not tight enough?

I put my Z-chains on the way to Truckee and drove a few hours with them on. They are a pain to tighten properly. Two man job.

I had them in the snow storm in January. CHP did check for chains on every car.

I had them on the front wheels on my AWD 19" (late 2015). I got some sound that I didn't like from behind the wheel. I am going to test putting them on back wheels to see if that's better. If not, I'll get the newer chains (Trak Sport) since the chains don't go around the wheel, and put them on the back wheels. Unless someone suggests a better snow chain. :)

I put my Z-chains on the way to Truckee and drove a few hours with them on. They are a pain to tighten properly. Two man job.
Yes, I also found my Z-chains tougher to install than expected. While I installed them without assistance, it was a real bear to tighten them because, unlike the Z-chains that I've had for the Nissan LEAF and Toyota Prius, they do not use center-ring chain tighteners. I also find it tougher putting chains on rear wheels because you can't turn the wheels to improve access. Then again, I don't use chains all that often, so my technique probably isn't perfect. I expect our family's next Tesla, hopefully the Model 3 that I've reserved, will have AWD so that we will virtually never be required to install chains.

Hi all,

It is 2021 so I thought let's give an update on my experience so recent buyers have a double check as well.

I bought the: Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Z-563-Performance-Traction/dp/B000OAVLJ0

And they fit very well on my rear tires: 19'' Tempest Wheels on my 2021 model S.
IMG_7881.jpg

and there is still enough space between the tire and the suspension. See images where i put my fingers in between.
IMG_7892.jpg
IMG_7895.jpg

HOWEVER: Please do take care of the following thing when putting them on:
  • there is a plastic cover on the inside and the wires (when putting them on easily go behind the corner (see image below)
IMG_7888.jpg

So you have to DOUBLE CHECK that that wire is not catching anything and then you can tighten it.

PS: i did drive with it slowly and all worked and when I drive in the snow with it, I will update you guys!

Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: abasile
Hi all,

It is 2021 so I thought let's give an update on my experience so recent buyers have a double check as well.

I bought the: Security Chain Company Z-563 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Cable Tire Traction Chain on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Z-563-Performance-Traction/dp/B000OAVLJ0

And they fit very well on my rear tires: 19'' Tempest Wheels on my 2021 model S.

and there is still enough space between the tire and the suspension. See images where i put my fingers in between.

HOWEVER: Please do take care of the following thing when putting them on:
  • there is a plastic cover on the inside and the wires (when putting them on easily go behind the corner (see image below)

So you have to DOUBLE CHECK that that wire is not catching anything and then you can tighten it.

PS: i did drive with it slowly and all worked and when I drive in the snow with it, I will update you guys!

Wishing you all the best.
I use this as well, though after several long drives on them, one link broke. Not surprising.
Why did you put these on your rear tires? If you have dual motors, the front tires should give you better traction.