Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it’s the wrong time of year but does anyone have any recommendations for snow chains for an MX with 20” rims? Seriously thinking about heading down to Geneva next year for some skiing and no doubt we’ll need a pair for the front tyres. I will probably only use them 1-2 times a year so nothing super fancy required.

anyone have any recommendations for snow chains

We fit winter tyres to all our cars in Winter. Night-and-Day compared to summer tyres (in UK on ungritted country roads, cold-wet tarmac and so on). Deffo don't need chains with them in Alps. I have driven up where road had packed snow all the way down to Moutier in a FrontWD People Carrier and made much better progress than the people with chains on, including a Disco driver (with chains) travelling in convoy with me.

Reactions: ediflyer
I know it’s the wrong time of year but does anyone have any recommendations for snow chains for an MX with 20” rims? Seriously thinking about heading down to Geneva next year for some skiing and no doubt we’ll need a pair for the front tyres. I will probably only use them 1-2 times a year so nothing super fancy required.
have you considered autosocks? a heck of a lot easier to fit than chains

I think they wear out really quickly on any stretch of tarmac that is clear?

At the Gendarme checkpoint for chains they were quite happy that we only had Winter tyres ...
As much as I’d like to think it would be ok to not carry chains you could get turned away so I’m not going to risk it.

I was thinking a cheap set of chains and some decent winter tyres. I guess the investment would be that I’d wear both tyres over the years so no loss. Just need to store them somewhere that won’t upset the family!

I think they wear out really quickly on any stretch of tarmac that is clear?

True but you can ruin your filings and your snow chains on tarmac as well if you arn't careful . And at least socks are easy to whip on and off for difficult sections. My current car (not a Tesla) is not approved for any snow chains by the manufacture so it was either that or £££ spike spiders £££

At the Gendarme checkpoint for chains they were quite happy that we only had Winter tyres ...

Old thread I know, but just as an FYI - both the Model 3 and X specifically say to put the snow chains on the REAR tires (even if AWD), which is different from other AWD vehicles I've had.

Old thread I know, but just as an FYI - both the Model 3 and X specifically say to put the snow chains on the REAR tires (even if AWD), which is different from other AWD vehicles I've had.
for someone called "FairWeatherFan" you do a lot of posting on threads about snow chains :)
I have 2 pairs of autosocks. if it ever gets very bad I might cover my bases and fit all four. I can't see clearance being an issue with a sock.

for someone called "FairWeatherFan" you do a lot of posting on threads about snow chains :)
I have 2 pairs of autosocks. if it ever gets very bad I might cover my bases and fit all four. I can't see clearance being an issue with a sock.
Ha! I prefer to live in Fair Weather places and just drive to the snow! The name also refers to the fact I go through a lot of cars, and we have no (manufacturer) brand loyalty. We'll buy what we feel is best for our needs at that point....

Re: clearance... I've been looking at the Autosock too, because I really don't want to spend $400 considering I already have a 2nd set of wheels with Snow/Ice tires. However, it does claim on their website they need 15mm of clearance on the inside vs. the Tesla approved one is entirely external with 0mm internal clearance requirements. I can't see the autosock damaging the control arms like other people with chains have experienced, but I'm somewhat paranoid...