Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need room in your garage. That's the whole point. These go on your wheels PERMANENTLY. You use them year round and never have to think about chains or snow tires.

I just changed out all 4 tires...they are like brand new because of Covid (we didn't go anywhere much last year). Even if I swap them out, I still need room in my garage to store the 4 tires currently on the car. I am okay with them. I go up to snow maybe once a year... and I do have chain. But you should be able to sell your Crossclimate super easily. Just post them on Tesla part for sell or something. They are supposed to be amazing even if you just use them as all season tires without going to snow.

I'd personally like to get those tires but I also worry that when R3 restrictions are on (LIKE NOW) in Big Bear they require ALL CARS and trucks have chains, no exceptions. So either way I'd be forced to put on chains. $550 for the stupid Tesla chains that will fall off (happened to me already) OR ca. $700 for your tires AND I still need to put on stupid chains in such a case.... I just wish Tesla had normal wheels so I could put standard chains that every other car uses.. very frustrating.

AM I THE ONLY ONE ON THIS FORUM WITH THIS DILEMMA?

I can't speak for Big Bear because we never go there so I'm not familiar with cops there but I know in Mammoth my All Weather tires with snow peak icon qualify as winter tires so I never need chains.

We were up there by Lake Arrowhead just before New Year. Chains were required on all vehicles. You put on chain or you don't go up. Some went up before they put up the block and got stuck. We passed by a few Tesla (Model 3, S, X) on the way up and they were stuck.

I have these on my MX's rear tires and they work perfectly. Super easy to put on too. Some other MX owners recommended these on this forum a few years ago. I used it twice in 3 years have not not noticed any damage to my suspension yet.... ymmv.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZFDQE/

YESSS thank you SOOO MUCH!!! I will get these now - you have 20" 275/R20 stock on rears?

You don't need room in your garage. That's the whole point. These go on your wheels PERMANENTLY. You use them year round and never have to think about chains or snow tires.
Hi,
Winter's coming on. We live in the PNW (North of Seattle but near sea level). Thinking of buying some kind
of "traction devices". Questions:

1) Do I need them on all 4 wheels, just the front, just the back?
2) Chain brand and model recommendations? I have a MX-100D with Continental Cross Contact LX Sport 265/45 R20 108V tires.

Thanks for your help ... Jim in the PNW

Hi,
Winter's coming on. We live in the PNW (North of Seattle but near sea level). Thinking of buying some kind
of "traction devices". Questions:

1) Do I need them on all 4 wheels, just the front, just the back?
2) Chain brand and model recommendations? I have a MX-100D with Continental Cross Contact LX Sport 265/45 R20 108V tires.

Thanks for your help ... Jim in the PNW
Additional info - not likely to ever need them in a serious "chains required" situation. Auto Socks? - Jim