Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All

About to take the MX to Lake Tahoe (from the Bay Area) next week and looks like snow is in the forecast. Just wondering if chains would be required on a MX with all season tires or if will be ok without?

Thanks in advance! Love this community!

You should always carry chains just in case. Weather changes, unforeseen events, detour off the beaten path.
I don't think they really check unless weather is really bad. Check latest weather updates before driving up, they'll tell you if you need chains. I've been up there with all-seasons and winter tires. If there's a chain check point, they usually waved me pass (in either set of tires, so I don't think they check, if they recognized the car is AWD/4WD). Don't go up that often in snow, so not sure how consistent my experience is. I usually just leave the Thule K-Summit in the trunk, just in case.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: DIL and AppleSam
Check out Auto Socks, available at most tire stores and on Amazon. In most states they are a legal alternative to tire chains, are easy to put on and take off, and work great! We've used them on our previous Model S and now on our Model Y. As mentioned above, always carry traction devices in winter, regardless of whether or not you have winter tires and AWD, and a small, extendable handle shovel, ice scraper, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and AppleSam
500 Inland Center Drive San Bernardino, CA 92408

Nice little mall to stop by for a pit stop and grab a bite. The chargers are right outside the parking structure.

There's also an RV park but I did not go there

398 Edgemoor Road, Big Bear Lake CA 92315

Our airbnb had an exterior 120v so I "siphoned" juice from there lol. (I did need to stop by the local hardware store to get an extra heavy duty 50' outdoor extension cord)

Just like the chains, the mobile connector and adapters are a must.

Reactions: AppleSam
Check out Auto Socks, available at most tire stores and on Amazon. In most states they are a legal alternative to tire chains, are easy to put on and take off, and work great!

We just moved to a home at 6000 ft elevation in Southern California. All roads to here have chain requirements. Going to need something for our M3.

From the CalTrans definition of 'Tire Traction Devices', it appears to me Auto Socks meet their requirements. Has anyone had experience with both Snow Chains and Auto Socks? My interest is more with effectiveness than cost - would like to know if one works better than the other.

I live in LA and go to Mammoth almost on a weekly basis during the winter as I have a place there. I've researched this issue inside and out. It would be a royal pain if I had to put on chains every time I get into Mammoth Lakes so I found a much better solution: ALL WEATHER TIRES rated for snow. I'm not talking about all season tires with just the "M+S" icon. These don't do anything for you in snow and ice because they're only designed to grip over a certain temperature (around 7 degrees Celsius or 44 degrees Fahrenheit), which is why you need chains even with an all wheel drive vehicle like the X. The rubber used in M+S all season tires gets hard as a hockey puck and loses all its grip at low temps. Snow rated all weather tires on the other hand are designed for use BOTH in snow/ice AND in warmer weather. They're not quite as good as dedicated snow tires on snow and ice but they come pretty close. They actually have a little "Snow Peak" icon stamped on the tire that shows that they're rated for extreme snow conditions. The only catch is that it's a new technology and it's more common in Europe than in the US so the models and sizes available here are a bit hard to find.
I use Toyo Celsius tires on my 2016 Model S 90D. I'm about to trade it in for a Model Y and I already ordered the same tires for the Model Y.
I actually even have a set of tires for the Model X because I thought I would be buying one to replace my S. They are the Michelin CrossClimate SUV and they also carry that same snow peak icon. They're for the 20" tires of the model X. I've never used them. If anyone here is interested I can offer them at $750 (50% off) as I won't be needing them and they take up room in my garage :) Picture are attached.
Unfortunately I can't ship them so you'll have to come and get them in LA. There is one set of front tires: P265/45R20 and one set of rear: P275/45R20.

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5168.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5167.JPG
    IMG_5167.JPG
    927.2 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 365gtb4
I wish you were in San Diego as I would possibly get these from you. I'm in a similar predicament. Trading X for Y this Fall but still going to go to Big Bear a few more times over the next 2 months. I just need something for the rare cases where I start slipping and sliding going up the huge inclines you sometimes have in the mountain.

Has anyone tried either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFS3QSJ?linkCode=ogi&tag=pop-lift-20&ascsubtag=%5Bartid%7C10060.g.35005418%5Bsrc%7Carb_ga_pop_d_bm_g35005418%5Bch%7Ce8f18627062a43ed3fa35bf37564b199%5Blt%7C&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/EASE2U-Automobiles-Adjustable-Applicable-8-5-12-4in/dp/B07WFT2CS5/ref=psdc_2539196011_t1_B07WFS3QSJ?th=1

I live in the SF Bay Area and occasionally go up to Lake Tahoe, and am worried about chains as well. I have heard from this forum that the Tesla branded chains do not do that well, hard to fit and occasionally disappear while driving. I have used regular chains and wire chains in the past, wondering it I could use these as well. If I need to, I would suppose that the chains would go on the front wheels, even with the 4 wheel drive. My 4 wheel drive hybrid has never been challenged by the chain authorities about needing chains, but what are other's experiences with chain control?
Mike P

I live in LA and go to Mammoth almost on a weekly basis during the winter as I have a place there. I've researched this issue inside and out. It would be a royal pain if I had to put on chains every time I get into Mammoth Lakes so I found a much better solution: ALL WEATHER TIRES rated for snow. I'm not talking about all season tires with just the "M+S" icon. These don't do anything for you in snow and ice because they're only designed to grip over a certain temperature (around 7 degrees Celsius or 44 degrees Fahrenheit), which is why you need chains even with an all wheel drive vehicle like the X. The rubber used in M+S all season tires gets hard as a hockey puck and loses all its grip at low temps. Snow rated all weather tires on the other hand are designed for use BOTH in snow/ice AND in warmer weather. They're not quite as good as dedicated snow tires on snow and ice but they come pretty close. They actually have a little "Snow Peak" icon stamped on the tire that shows that they're rated for extreme snow conditions. The only catch is that it's a new technology and it's more common in Europe than in the US so the models and sizes available here are a bit hard to find.
I use Toyo Celsius tires on my 2016 Model S 90D. I'm about to trade it in for a Model Y and I already ordered the same tires for the Model Y.
I actually even have a set of tires for the Model X because I thought I would be buying one to replace my S. They are the Michelin CrossClimate SUV and they also carry that same snow peak icon. They're for the 20" tires of the model X. I've never used them. If anyone here is interested I can offer them at $750 (50% off) as I won't be needing them and they take up room in my garage :) Picture are attached.
Unfortunately I can't ship them so you'll have to come and get them in LA. There is one set of front tires: P265/45R20 and one set of rear: P275/45R20.

View attachment 630604

View attachment 630605
View attachment 630607
So do you leave these on year-round?

So do you leave these on year-round?

Yes! That's the beauty of it! They work great in all conditions and no need to ever put chains on.
Two other benefits are:
1) That when we get a lot of rain down in LA, which is rare but can be quite violent, these tires work much better than regular all season tires.
2) They are rated for more miles than the OEM tires so they'll last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIL
I'd personally like to get those tires but I also worry that when R3 restrictions are on (LIKE NOW) in Big Bear they require ALL CARS and trucks have chains, no exceptions. So either way I'd be forced to put on chains. $550 for the stupid Tesla chains that will fall off (happened to me already) OR ca. $700 for your tires AND I still need to put on stupid chains in such a case.... I just wish Tesla had normal wheels so I could put standard chains that every other car uses.. very frustrating.

AM I THE ONLY ONE ON THIS FORUM WITH THIS DILEMMA?

I'd personally like to get those tires but I also worry that when R3 restrictions are on (LIKE NOW) in Big Bear they require ALL CARS and trucks have chains, no exceptions. So either way I'd be forced to put on chains. $550 for the stupid Tesla chains that will fall off (happened to me already) OR ca. $700 for your tires AND I still need to put on stupid chains in such a case.... I just wish Tesla had normal wheels so I could put standard chains that every other car uses.. very frustrating.

AM I THE ONLY ONE ON THIS FORUM WITH THIS DILEMMA?

We were up there by Lake Arrowhead just before New Year. Chains were required on all vehicles. You put on chain or you don't go up. Some went up before they put up the block and got stuck. We passed by a few Tesla (Model 3, S, X) on the way up and they were stuck.

I have these on my MX's rear tires and they work perfectly. Super easy to put on too. Some other MX owners recommended these on this forum a few years ago. I used it twice in 3 years have not not noticed any damage to my suspension yet.... ymmv.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZFDQE/

Reactions: Itsuo-DC

View attachment 630604

View attachment 630605
View attachment 630607

If I have room in my garage I would buy them in an instant. I just changed out my MX's tires last year... wanted the Michelin CrossClimate but not even tirerack had it in stock.

If I have room in my garage I would buy them in an instant. I just changed out my MX's tires last year... wanted the Michelin CrossClimate but not even tirerack had it in stock.

You don't need room in your garage. That's the whole point. These go on your wheels PERMANENTLY. You use them year round and never have to think about chains or snow tires.