Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow clearing mode???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It snows in Ottawa a fair amount. Before I leave my outdoor parking spot at work, especially on snowy days, I warm/defrost the car through the app, which is awesome. On the days when it has snowed a lot (more than an inch), I brush off the snow before I hit the road, and this is where my car mildly annoys me.

In an ICE, you unlock the door, start the car and let it run and keep defrosting while you scrape off the snow.

In my model 3, as soon as I open the door to grab my snow brush (haven’t needed the scraper yet!), it turns off the climate/defrost mode, and the car usually locks itself while I’m brushing the snow off from the passenger side.

it’s a pain in the backside to have to pull out the phone, open the app and put defrost back on while brushing snow off the car. OK, maybe it’s a very minor inconvenience, but it still bugs me.

Thankfully, I don’t have this problem in the mornings at home, since the car has warmed itself up in the garage and charged itself before I leave. No complaints there - just another reason why the Model 3 is awesome!

Am I missing something, or do we need to ask Elon for a ‘snow clearing mode’ that keeps the climate/defrost on until we’re actually sitting in the car? Anyone else have this same problem?

I've occasionally been mildly annoyed by this behaviour.
You can get in the car (or lean in), press the climate button (fan icon), then activate Keep Climate On. I do this when reaching for the snow brush. It's quicker and more convenient than fiddling with the phone/app.

Reactions: Tz00
I leave my phone in the car while I'm brushing off the snow and it doesn't turn off. (Model 3)

Interesting. Not sure I want to chance the car deciding to lock the doors while I’m outside brushing off the snow. Then both my “keys” and phone are locked in the car. I wouldn’t even be able to phone for help.

One of the disadvantages of me storing my key card in my phone’s case...

Interesting. Not sure I want to chance the car deciding to lock the doors while I’m outside brushing off the snow. Then both my “keys” and phone are locked in the car. I wouldn’t even be able to phone for help.

One of the disadvantages of me storing my key card in my phone’s case...

Good point - I always have my wallet on me separate from my phone. Though I don't see why it would lock - though just because its never happened to me doesn't mean it's not a possibility!

Is there an email or other where such suggestions can be made to Tesla? Snow mode could also be used to put the wipers in service mode, limit regen braking to provide more control to the driver and defrost the door handles etc. I have been doing some research on car washes and a car wash mode would also be a great feature - put it into neutral, fold the mirrors etc

Is there an email or other where such suggestions can be made to Tesla? Snow mode could also be used to put the wipers in service mode, limit regen braking to provide more control to the driver and defrost the door handles etc. I have been doing some research on car washes and a car wash mode would also be a great feature - put it into neutral, fold the mirrors etc
That would be fatal to wiper blades and motors if there’s more than an inch of snow, and especially bad if the blades were frozen to the windshield.
You’ve got climate control, and you can prioritize windshield defrosting in the app. You don’t need more than that.

car washes: just go to a car wash that doesn't move your car, touchless etc. Less chances of scratching your mags anyway. You just park and wait while the machines work around your car...
limiting regen is not necessary in winter, there have been plenty of discussions on that. Anyway, Tesla removed it from 2021 model, which shows they agree with me :)
Door handles are now defrosted, albeit slowly, when you heat the car. Same for the charging door I believe.
When you open the door, if you press the brake pedal, or you touch the screen and set the climate ON mode, you should still have climate. Otherwise, unless cleaning the car takes more than a couple minutes, the car should still be warm when you enter, no?

Reactions: duanra
Ya this annoys me as well but for different reasons...
It should also called i need to put the kids backpacks in the car but pls continue to warm up the car mode OR i'm in a tight garage so let me back up the car outside and when i leave, pls continue to warm up the car mode. :)

Reactions: Smytty