Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow driving, Model 3 RWD with snow tire handles better than RX350 with snow tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking because I was doing this constantly yesterday (I was testing out my car). It would push the rear out a bit to the right but it would eventually correct and fix itself although it is a little unsettling at first. Its very easy to do, go around 30km and a slippery road, don't floor it but gradually go into the power. Inititally it will start to push the rear out to the right until it corrects. It is a little unnerving at first. I wanted to know because my understanding was that the rear should push out to the left initially as a safety measure. Its the reason FWD cars will always steer you into the curb when slipping.

I had no problems with the RWD, I'm just curious about this aspect.

LOL! No, it doesn't work that way. It depends upon the camber of the road.

However, the dynamic stability and traction control in the Model 3 is so fast and sensitive it's not going to happen that way. From the way people are talking around here I would swear I just got teleported back to the 1970's and everyone is driving crude Chevy Novas or something! Hasn't anyone driven a modern car?

Last edited:
I wanted to know because my understanding was that the rear should push out to the left initially as a safety measure. Its the reason FWD cars will always steer you into the curb when slipping.

I'll explain it again. On a slippery surface (assuming the car is travelling in a straight line) the slide will always go downhill. Always. One thing that distinguishes a poor snow/ice driver from a good snow/ice driver is the good driver has the ability to read the side slope of the road ahead. This doesn't get discussed much but is one of the most important skills when driving on ultra slippery surfaces. The crown of the road in countries that drive on the right side of the road generally slopes from left to right.

The reason a slide is always downhill is because a slide is nothing more than the mass of the car being pulled by gravity to a lower state if the lack of friction will allow it.

I'll explain it again. On a slippery surface (assuming the car is travelling in a straight line) the slide will always go downhill. Always. One thing that distinguishes a poor snow/ice driver from a good snow/ice driver is the good driver has the ability to read the side slope of the road ahead. This doesn't get discussed much but is one of the most important skills when driving on ultra slippery surfaces. The crown of the road in countries that drive on the right side of the road generally slopes from left to right.

The reason a slide is always downhill is because a slide is nothing more than the mass of the car being pulled by gravity to a lower state if the lack of friction will allow it.

This is absolutely correct if there is an assumption: the friction under four tires is equally same.

Unfortunately in reality it is not usually the case. This would require the car to sense it in real time and adjust the torque independently quickly. Model 3 does excellent job but compared with RX350 in non scientific way, Lexus seems having better traction control.

This is absolutely correct if there is an assumption: the friction under four tires is equally same.

Unfortunately in reality it is not usually the case. This would require the car to sense it in real time and adjust the torque independently quickly. Model 3 does excellent job but compared with RX350 in non scientific way, Lexus seems having better traction control.

Your comment makes no sense in the context of the discussion (which was which direction the rear of the car would slide if traction was lost).

In otherwords, this holds true even on cars that are not equipped with traction control. Regardless, in the current world, that would only be found on old, outdated cars. The Tesla traction and stability controls are likely the best in the business. It's good to know Lexus is right up there in your "non-scientific" observation. Most of it will have to do with tires.

Having come from an AWD C350, the RWD Model 3 takes a bit of getting used to, but the back end doesn't move much as long as you drive sensibly and don't take corners like a maniac. You can see the traction control indicator lighting up when the tires start to slip, which so far has only happened if I accelerate too quickly. No issues on straight roads, and for corners or traffic circles just go an appropriate speed.

One handy tip I picked up on Reddit the other day is to create a new Driver Profile named Snow (or The North Remembers ;) #GoT). Set acceleration to Chill, set Regen to Low, turn Creep off, along with any other settings you prefer for slippery conditions, and then Save. When the roads are bad, just switch to this profile before heading out. When the weather improves, just switch back to your normal driver profile.

Reactions: tlr1000
Having come from an AWD C350, the RWD Model 3 takes a bit of getting used to, but the back end doesn't move much as long as you drive sensibly and don't take corners like a maniac. You can see the traction control indicator lighting up when the tires start to slip, which so far has only happened if I accelerate too quickly. No issues on straight roads, and for corners or traffic circles just go an appropriate speed.

One handy tip I picked up on Reddit the other day is to create a new Driver Profile named Snow (or The North Remembers ;) #GoT). Set acceleration to Chill, set Regen to Low, turn Creep off, along with any other settings you prefer for slippery conditions, and then Save. When the roads are bad, just switch to this profile before heading out. When the weather improves, just switch back to your normal driver profile.

I've been using the second profile for Chill mode. One thing that tends to happen over time is the seating position goes out of whack for some reason. Even though the Chill profile was set exactly the same as my normal one save for the chill setting.

I had two short drives in the local neighborhood this morning - same route, one with M3 AWD snow tire and another one with my 2010 Lexus RX350 snow tire. I have to say my 10-y old RX350 traction control is much much better than M3's ... especially the uphill start. I always wondering how I can be sure my M3 is AWD :(

Hi - can I ask what snow tires you are using for the Model 3 and the RX350 ?

Having come from an AWD C350, the RWD Model 3 takes a bit of getting used to, but the back end doesn't move much as long as you drive sensibly and don't take corners like a maniac. You can see the traction control indicator lighting up when the tires start to slip, which so far has only happened if I accelerate too quickly.

True, if you are too heavy on the throttle the back end can kick out a bit. But when I know it's slippery I instictively go easy on all the controls so I'm generally taking corners with a neutral throttle. I hit a patch of black ice on a sharp corner that I was not expecting to be ice because it had been dry for days (the humid fall air from the adjacent creek had condensed on the roadway). I didn't have winter tires on. Anyway, I was taking the corner hard, as if it was not icy, but I was fairly neutral on the throttle since the patch of ice was at the apex of the corner. I was very impressed with how the Model 3 handled it with it's balanced weight distribution it just skipped three feet sideways and hooked back up again without drama and carried me the rest of the way around the corner without changing attitude. I've been in a lot of other RWD cars that would have spun out in the same situation.

On roads solidly covered in snow/ice, the traction control on the Model 3 is telepathic in that it senses whether you want the back drive wheels to slip or not. When using sensitive throttle inputs it reacts instantly to stop a wheel from spinning. When ham-footing the throttle it appears to sense that you want to kick the rear out a bit and is more liberal, letting you apply more power and creating some slip. It's like it actually gives the driver some credit for knowing what they want to do without letting things get too far out of hand. I love it.

Last edited:
Model 3 RWD with Hakka R3's as well. Drove around the GTA quite a bit Saturday and Sunday, pretty happy with the snow performance overall. Acceleration on completely unplowed roads can't match AWD, but the traction control was phenomenal. It would allow you to slip for a split second before completely recovering. I felt like if you spin the wheels a bit into a turn it adjusts so that the car goes along the path you are pointing to, rather than recovering traction along "any path" like other cars I've driven in the past, if that makes sense.

+ Traction control is almost telepathic
+ Stopping distance is very good with the R3's
+ A touch of fishtail/drifting can be fun

- Limited acceleration on completely unplowed roads (physical limitation with 2 wheels pushing instead of 4)

+ Traction control is almost telepathic
+ Stopping distance is very good with the R3's
+ A touch of fishtail/drifting can be fun

- Limited acceleration on completely unplowed roads (physical limitation with 2 wheels pushing instead of 4)

AWD with Stock Aero Summer tires handled the weekend storm like a champ. On the side streets with no cars parked, I jerked the wheel left and right at 40kph and the car never once fishtailed or slid - firmly planted. It would fishtail the rear end when I entered a turn too aggressively while the front motor drags the car along. Recovery is split second quick. Makes me want to put winters on the AWD and take it to Mont Tremblant :)

I've been using the second profile for Chill mode. One thing that tends to happen over time is the seating position goes out of whack for some reason. Even though the Chill profile was set exactly the same as my normal one save for the chill setting.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. I swear in my MX the seat position varies slightly from time to time, and sometimes it's just way off from where it was originally set. I keep having to make adjustments.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
AWD with Stock Aero Summer tires handled the weekend storm like a champ. On the side streets with no cars parked, I jerked the wheel left and right at 40kph and the car never once fishtailed or slid - firmly planted. It would fishtail the rear end when I entered a turn too aggressively while the front motor drags the car along. Recovery is split second quick. Makes me want to put winters on the AWD and take it to Mont Tremblant :)

I thought you had a RWD car for some reason. Winter tires on your AWD would be amazing. I'd even opt for a more sport oriented winter tire with the AWD.

**Edit** Per your sig, you do have a RWD, no?

Last edited:

TIL that driver profiles also save your driving settings. The possibilities are now endless!

Check out my efficiency over the last 50km! Under 50%! Heat on all the time !

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_081036.jpg
    IMG_20190122_081036.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 56
I have a RWD, in the shop for a ding repair from a hit and run. They got me a AWD rental; loving the extra pick up <3

Oh boo. Lucky you got a Tesla rental!

If you love the AWD acceleration, your mind will be blown if you ever get to drive a P3D :D

As much as I want to drive a P3D, I think it's in my best interest to not do so....otherwise I may make some poor financial decisions...lol