Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow driving - Traction Control over-aggressive!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in that Toronto storm too and totally agree. The traction control was WAY too much. Had to turn on slip start to even move. It was pretty dangerous. And to the “Tesla can never win” comment, that’s ridiculous. They can find a middle ground. Sure people will complain no matter what. But when the car refuses to move when another car is coming down the road at you. Yes it’s a huge issue.

Reactions: newsletter
Was in that Toronto storm too and totally agree. The traction control was WAY too much. Had to turn on slip start to even move. It was pretty dangerous. And to the “Tesla can never win” comment, that’s ridiculous. They can find a middle ground. Sure people will complain no matter what. But when the car refuses to move when another car is coming down the road at you. Yes it’s a huge issue.

Thanks coconutboy84! Ok, so that now makes 3 of us that confirm the traction control was beyond ridiculous/definitely dangerous in the snow here on the weekend...we can't all be crazy. Something definitely messed up with our cars' TC.

Reactions: coconutboy84
What does it take for the front engine to engage in the current software? I have scanmytesla, I'll try to check next Time I'm on slippery stuff. I bought an awd, I hope it's not behaving like a rwd unless I punch it. I understand on dry roads the rear gets all the weight transfer and front can only be on full acceleration but in slippery conditions that's not how you want it to behave.

I texted Telsa service about this issue. This what they txt back:

vehicle may have been stuck in deep snow, preventing it from moving forward. We do not see any indication through your logs to be able to confirm a component issue or failure. Please monitor the vehicle and advise if you experience the issues when there isn't as much snow on the ground. Please also record the date and time of occurrence in case diagnoses is needed. Thank you.

I texted Telsa service about this issue. This what they txt back:

vehicle may have been stuck in deep snow, preventing it from moving forward. We do not see any indication through your logs to be able to confirm a component issue or failure. Please monitor the vehicle and advise if you experience the issues when there isn't as much snow on the ground. Please also record the date and time of occurrence in case diagnoses is needed. Thank you.

What a B.S. cop-out answer. I emailed my local service centre, but what number do you text to report the issue? Maybe if enough of us report it...

That was a heck of a storm. I made it home with 8% battery in my SR+, too close for comfort. I was able to have fun with the Partybox until about 3 pm when it started getting really bad. Winter tires are a must!

Hey MP! Didn't know you guys were in T.O.! :)

Yeah, we blew through 50% of the SR+ battery in a short trip from north york to vaughan and back...crazy...

What year is your SR+ and how was your T/C with the partybox disabled? Did you experience the same ridiculous lack of acceleration on turns?

What does it take for the front engine to engage in the current software? I have scanmytesla, I'll try to check next Time I'm on slippery stuff. I bought an awd, I hope it's not behaving like a rwd unless I punch it. I understand on dry roads the rear gets all the weight transfer and front can only be on full acceleration but in slippery conditions that's not how you want it to behave.
Excellent question. All I have gotten from service is “when needed” which is super unhelpful. I’m curious what you seen with scanmytesla. In my experience giving it significant throttle input is the only way to get it to engage even in low traction situations.

I too find it engages pretty easily. I'm in a may 2018 LR RWD. Using the Tesla winter tire pack (Pirelli Winter 240).

Same thing last year and I was pretty worried until I remembered that the car had the slip start feature.

My AWD CX5 feels much more stable in snow than my model 3.

Reactions: afeudale
I drove my Model 3 Performance between Seattle and Revelstoke, and to ski resorts around Seattle and drove a lot on snowy and icy roads these past two weeks. Last winter I had some complains on the traction control in winter - in places Tesla found amazing traction, in other places it was hard to keep up with Subarus, Audis, etc. Felt like that rear bias during acceleration that many threads have discussed here.

After V10 upgrade I noticed driving dynamics had changed some. M3P started to bring the rear around some under harder acceleration into a turn without track mode (in sport). I love it. It does so in an "efficient" way as opposed to "fun" way, though.
Now these past couple of weeks driving on the snow I didn't have complaints I had last winter. It was good. I think I passed all cars on multilane snowy highways... no, a Canadian ranger's car passed me with ease once. Tesla still slows down and harder to get going on poorly plowed roads with mashed and moved snow. I didn't try slip mode then, just plowed along as the car felt stable and the speed was 35-70mph.

I learned to slow down before a turn in Tesla more than in a sporty ICE with same tires I still have in family. Both when dry and when slippery. I can still take such turns faster modulating acceleration through the turn - just the dynamics are different.

To folks wishing Track Mode. I found it impractical for everyday driving. There's that whine from cooling the battery even I don't push the car hard and you can't use AP when needed.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Hey MP! Didn't know you guys were in T.O.! :)

Yeah, we blew through 50% of the SR+ battery in a short trip from north york to vaughan and back...crazy...

What year is your SR+ and how was your T/C with the partybox disabled? Did you experience the same ridiculous lack of acceleration on turns?
Yes, but it was due to a total lack of grip. With TC off, the tires were spinning with the lightest touch of the throttle. It is a 2019 SR+.

I looked at scanmytesla while driving this morning as there was a bit of snow. The front motor normally doesn't engage when I'm easy on the accelerator but it does engage when the back wheels start slipping. I'm pretty sure I was not changing my accelerator position and it engaged by itself. That is great and removes one possibility.
I hit a couple of more slippery patches while accelerating in a corner and the power cut very suddenly. I think the traction control is a bit aggressive and that's all there is. It's great to stop slipping but: I think it cuts a bit too much, and it seems the power doesn't quite come back fast enough. It does feel like traction control is more aggressive in its power reduction when the steering wheel is turned, even when the car isn't sliding sideways at all. I'll need to find time to roam around when it's very slippery and try to gather more info.

It does feel like traction control is more aggressive in its power reduction when the steering wheel is turned, even when the car isn't sliding sideways at all.
Same impression. It's a bit annoying not to be able to play on a whim, but knowing how unpredictable AWD handling can be in low grip, it's probably for the best on public streets. I can see how this can be a problem for RWD cars tho.

Same impression. It's a bit annoying not to be able to play on a whim, but knowing how unpredictable AWD handling can be in low grip, it's probably for the best on public streets. I can see how this can be a problem for RWD cars tho.
Not to engage in thread necrophilia, but, wanted to leave it here, as I was quite annoyed at 2021 M3LR awd today on slush and packed snow today. Stock continental 19 inch all seasons. Taking over was not fun, as power was cutting out quite strongly, even on straight patches of highway. My previous 2016 MS 75D had less ESC/TC interventions, was more fun to drive (in snow only), and overall felt more confident. To be fair, it did not have such strong regen either. Perhaps that's a factor.