Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow experience with and without smart air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been searching for the right 2015 or 2016 Model S with dual motors. Has anyone driven in a snowy winter without air suspension and then switched to a car with air suspension? I am wondering if it is worth the extra weight and complexity (and repair costs) to be able to raise a dual motor car in a few inches of snow? Thanks.

I have a RWD only P85 near Green Bay and leave for work before the roads are powered and only once this past winter did I use the highest suspension setting to get past a drift.
I have no AWD Tesla experience but the way my RWD does I can only believe AWD would be great. That said I got my driver's license when living on the Keweenaw Peninsula so my snow driving experience may be above average. I am actually going up for vacation soon August is pretty reliably snow free up there though.:cool:

Reactions: EVguy77
I have a RWD only P85 near Green Bay and leave for work before the roads are powered and only once this past winter did I use the highest suspension setting to get past a drift.
I have no AWD Tesla experience but the way my RWD does I can only believe AWD would be great. That said I got my driver's license when living on the Keweenaw Peninsula so my snow driving experience may be above average. I am actually going up for vacation soon August is pretty reliably snow free up there though.:cool:
I'm sure it was fun learning to drive in the snow. I am perfectly comfortable with RWD coupled with snow tires. But when my wife would not be. So it sounds like AWD is good enough and I can take the SAS off my must have options list! Thank you.

I’ll chime in. On my previous p85 RWD we had SAS. so glad we did. It was the difference between getting out of a jam and being towed out. A car was traveling in the middle of the road and not moving. It was hit then or slip into the packed snow berm. We were stuck because the car was literally sitting on the snow. We raised it and it was enough to get out without causing any damage. SAS May be expensive later but when we were looking for a newer Tesla it was a must have. (We get between 3 and 4 feet of snow where our hone is)

Reactions: EVguy77
One of my concerns with the Tesla in the snow is the way the snow just fills up the wheel wells, potentially restricting turning the wheels. For that, air suspension may help. Unlike an ICE, there's no heat generated in those areas up front to melt it.

I have been searching for the right 2015 or 2016 Model S with dual motors. Has anyone driven in a snowy winter without air suspension and then switched to a car with air suspension? I am wondering if it is worth the extra weight and complexity (and repair costs) to be able to raise a dual motor car in a few inches of snow? Thanks.

Invest in snow tires. That's the right answer for the snow condition but it somehow gets overlooked in the U.S. The all-season tires are compromise. The difference between snow tires and all-season, no matter on which car, is like day and night.

Reactions: glide and jerry33
Invest in snow tires. That's the right answer for the snow condition but it somehow gets overlooked in the U.S. The all-season tires are compromise. The difference between snow tires and all-season, no matter on which car, is like day and night.
Agree completely. I have been using snow tires on my Volt for 4 years. It is like a different car in the snow.

Reactions: Droschke
This is the correct answer in my opinion. If you live where there is little snow and only a short period of winter weather there are all-weather tires, such as Nokian WR-4, which are better than all but the very best snow tires (all-weather tires have triangle icon with snowflakes) but have the advantage that they don't melt on warm days. Two sets of wheels reduce the cost and bother of switching, particularly if you DIY.

I have Michelin X-ICE3. Love them. Coil suspension. Driven in 13" snow unplowed street (maybe 200 feet in deep snow, rest of the 1 mile round trip was on plowed and salted roads (well, less than 4" on the roads). Won't do that again (snow gets in EVERYWHERE). I basically used my car to plow the street but it was an emergency (needed some meds/supplies for a baby) in a blizzard. Car was fine once the louvers were dug out and car melted when back in garage. Car is a freaking tank.

One of my concerns with the Tesla in the snow is the way the snow just fills up the wheel wells, potentially restricting turning the wheels. For that, air suspension may help. Unlike an ICE, there's no heat generated in those areas up front to melt it.
The snow in the wheel wells also can cause air suspension errors when it gets packed into the suspension and blocks it from lowering (by "wedging" the springs open). I added a wooden stick to my "winter weather tool kit" to knock the snow & ice out of the wheel wells & suspension...

The snow in the wheel wells also can cause air suspension errors when it gets packed into the suspension and blocks it from lowering (by "wedging" the springs open). I added a wooden stick to my "winter weather tool kit" to knock the snow & ice out of the wheel wells & suspension...
Given that experience, would you still get an SaS car? Also, can you share info about your winter tool kit items?

Not sure why those singing the praises of snow tires assume you can't have both snow tires and SaS. Having multiple tools available to you is always better.
I didn't say that. but SaS won't help if you don't have snow tires. Having both will help in some situations, but snow tires will help in all situations.

I didn't say that. but SaS won't help if you don't have snow tires. Having both will help in some situations, but snow tires will help in all situations.
That's simply not true. Snow tires will do you no good if you can't physically clear the depth of the snow. Saying snow tires help in all situations isn't entirely true so why take such a strong stand?

They both have benefits & both can compliment each other so arguing over one being more important than the other is silly. Get both if it's an option & if you have excessive snow. I have no idea why some people just want to argue about everything.

The OP was asking specifically about SaS versus non-SaS for snow. I answered that question. Anything else about windshield wipers, tires and ice scrapers is kind of off topic here. Of course those are important considerations for those in snow regions but that's not the topic of this thread so lets keep it on topic.

That's simply not true. Snow tires will do you no good if you can't physically clear the depth of the snow. Saying snow tires help in all situations isn't entirely true so why take such a strong stand?

They both have benefits & both can compliment each other so arguing over one being more important than the other is silly. Get both if it's an option & if you have excessive snow. I have no idea why some people just want to argue about everything.

The OP was asking specifically about SaS versus non-SaS for snow. I answered that question. Anything else about windshield wipers, tires and ice scrapers is kind of off topic here. Of course those are important considerations for those in snow regions but that's not the topic of this thread so lets keep it on topic.

I didn't think I was taking a strong stand. My opinion is that raising the vehicle won't help if the tires can't get traction. Raising the vehicle will help if they can (assumes deep snow).