Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so a short excerpt from my trip this week. Nashville to Orlando to Charleston and then back to Nashville, tonight. (Just got home)

All was well in Charleston, rainy, but not bad. Expected snow as I got further north, but I was not prepared for the mess I ran in to... This was my first time taking the Model S through snow, so don't laugh too much!

I was just passed Spartanberg when I started to hit the snow/rain mix, and it didn't start out too badly. About 15 minutes later, there was visible snow accumulation on the ground, but I still had good traction and the car wasn't floating or anything. I did slow down to about 10 under the speed limit, just so I wouldn't be flying down the road passing other traffic constantly. After about 10 minutes, the energy prediction updated. I went from arriving with 29% to arriving with 19%. Ouch.

Okay, so still good, kept going, thinking it would probably drop and settle around maybe 9% or 8%... and it did, but after about 20 minutes it dropped AGAIN to 3%, and for the first time ever, I actually started to feel a bit of range anxiety. Went ahead and slowed down to about 45MPH as road conditions were worsening a lot, and it was difficult to find the lines. Settled in behind an 18 wheeler and followed him most of the way up the mountain that comes before the Asheville SuperCharger, while watching my energy consumption increase instead of decreasing, even though I had just hacked 20MPH off my speed. I had also begun to look at places I might be able to stop and charge for the night, as my "ultra high performance all season tires," as expected, SUCK in the snow and I was quickly getting uncomfortable. I decided that if the road got any worse, I'd stop at the next hotel I found and stay there the night.

I didn't have to, though, as I made it to Asheville and got off the ramp at 1% SOC... Eeked my way over to the shopping center the SuperCharger was at and rolled into the parking lot with the "Battery very low, climate reduced" message.

Here is the "Crap" moment: The roads in the area were being cleared, as were the main arteries through the parking lot the SC was at, but not the pathway in front of the SC or the spots that they were in. Okay, that's fine. I can just drive through the snow drift (I did) shift into reverse (I did) and then back into the spot. Wait, why isn't the car moving? Maybe I need more power... Nope... It's on a hill... and there's a foot(ish) of snow on the ground, and my "Ultra high performance all season tires" have roughly zero traction. I thought for sure I was either going to not be able to get up the hill, or that I was going to get the "Car shutting down" message as I'm within 50ft of the SC.

THANKFULLY, there was a spot near the SC that a car had been parked in recently, and it was completely clear, so I was able to park in that spot, and then accelerate enough to make it up the hill. I ended up double parked, but as no one was there, I didn't worry about it for the 45 minutes that I was there.

I did, however, give myself a nice 30% buffer to get to Knoxville, only to find that the snow ended about 20 minutes north of Asheville. All in all, I didn't lose much time to charging to that buffer, as I now only had to stop in Knoxville for 20 minutes instead of 40.

Live and learn, right?

I did call Tesla and ask if they could have the property/city please clean out those little spots as well. Hopefully they can/will, as I wasn't the only set of tracks that led into the SC.

(Please don't bug me about not being properly equipped for the snow. As I stated, my trip was originally to Orlando and I didn't expect the snow to be so messy. Plans changed a lot through the week, and I just went where I needed to. I made sure to be safe and keep the car under control and I knew what my limits were.)

Attachments

• 24796679_1765510777085393_7940077029694292006_n.jpg
    24796679_1765510777085393_7940077029694292006_n.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 24910036_1765485550421249_5303629759650000744_n.jpg
    24910036_1765485550421249_5303629759650000744_n.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 156
Obviously you don't buy snow tires for one single trip where you may encounter snow in the mountains. You just adjust your driving accordingly. I'm not driving down to Fl with my studded tires in January but finding winter conditions in the Adirondacs on HWY 87 or in Syracuse is a near-certainty so it's just a matter of slowing down until driving is safe based on the traction your tires give you.

On another note, driving in snow gives crazy rolling resistance to the point where even drafting behind a truck won't do much good. It's like driving around with only 20PSI.

Aside from that good job on keeping it on the road on a snow-covered mountain road!:cool:

Reactions: Ken7
This is the exact reason we removed all our 21's and went with all season 19". Summer tires are useless below 50 degrees. We only ride on Michelins Primacy's on both our S's and will never buy another S with 21's.

I had a similar experience in early 2013 before their were superchargers - back then campgrounds saved me.

Here in Virginia you get charged with reckless driving /ticketed if a State Trooper catches you with summer tires on and you were involved in an accident in snow covered roads.

Modes the title should be SNOW+RWD+SUMMER TIRES = NO GOOD

A good driver with SNOW+RWD+WINTER TIRES= BAD ASS

Last edited:
Here are the three codes that they cite when they give you the ticket... don't ask me how I know :mad:..... never drive a 2400 pound supercharged car with RWD and summer tires in the snow.... Also reckless driving in Virginia comes with mandatory 2 day jail time!!!

• Sec. 114-626. - Use of tire chains or snow tires.
    No person operating a motor vehicle on a snow emergency route on which there is a covering of snow, sleet or ice shall allow such vehicle to become stalled wholly or partly because the drive wheels thereof are not equipped with effective tire chains or snow tires.

State Law reference— Use of tire chains, Code of Virginia, § 46.2-1044.

• Whenever a vehicle becomes stalled for any reason, whether or not in violation of this division, on any part of a snow emergency route on which there is a covering of snow, sleet or ice or on which there is a parking prohibition in effect, the person operating such vehicle shall take immediate action to have the vehicle towed or pushed off the roadway of such snow emergency route, either into the first cross street which is not a snow emergency route, or onto the public space portion of a nearby driveway. No person shall abandon or leave his vehicle in the roadway of a snow emergency route, except for the purpose of securing assistance during the actual time necessary to go to a nearby garage, gasoline station, or other place of assistance and return without delay.

(Code 1978, § 17-386.6)
The main statute used for this charge is VA Code 46.2-853. That statute – 46.2-853 – is fairly brief: A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a vehicle which is not under proper control or which has inadequate or improperly adjusted brakes on any highway in the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
It's also worth emphasizing that even all season tires aren't at their best in colder temperatures. On even clear roads in the cold you are better off with a good snow tire than with all seasons once the temperature drops much below 50 F. I had previously thought that snow tires were just for lots of snow and was recently corrected and I am now a convert. There are a number of interesting comparisons on the internet that show the benefit of snow tires even when it isn't snowy.

This was a really interesting comparison:
http://umich.edu/~umtriswt/PDF/SWT-2016-10.pdf

Some more good stuff:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=103
Tire Testing Showdown: Winter vs. All-Season
Tested: Winter vs. all-season tires on ice

If you google for this stuff there are a lot of well done comparisons.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Was range mode turned on?
Did you stop using the heater before the car turned it off for you?
A warm coat and just the seat heater work quite well.

Yep, range mode was on for the whole trip and I was bundled up with the seat heater on. Wasn’t worried about being cold, just getting there.

On another note, driving in snow gives crazy rolling resistance to the point where even drafting behind a truck won't do much good. It's like driving around with only 20PSI.
The drafting was more because the truck was displacing the snow and creating a clearer part of the road for me to drive on. I dont know that drafting has a real effect at 30-40MPH anyway, but it made it easier to have a path to follow. :)

It's also worth emphasizing that even all season tires aren't at their best in colder temperatures. On even clear roads in the cold you are better off with a good snow tire than with all seasons once the temperature drops much below 50 F. I had previously thought that snow tires were just for lots of snow and was recently corrected and I am now a convert. There are a number of interesting comparisons on the internet that show the benefit of snow tires even when it isn't snowy.

This was a really interesting comparison:
http://umich.edu/~umtriswt/PDF/SWT-2016-10.pdf

Some more good stuff:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=103
Tire Testing Showdown: Winter vs. All-Season
Tested: Winter vs. all-season tires on ice

If you google for this stuff there are a lot of well done comparisons.
It’s definitely something I’ve been aware of, but a week ago it was 50f in Nashville and then Tuesday I was in 90f Orlando, so even if I owned a set of winter tires, I wouldnt have taken them to Florida because they’d be stacked in the apartment since it was still warm more often than cold. That’s probably why it snowed on me for 2 hours.

Took my 13 P85 out in the MA snow for the first time (for me). Per forum advice, I turned Regen breaking on low, and had winters (Michelin Ice X3’s) put on. Handled really well in about 4 inches of slush, icy snow. Noticed TC kick in on turns coming off the freeway, but It felt really planted going on/off ramps at 30-35mph. I have an A4 for years, which runs all seasons, and the P85 seemed close to the same feeling. First drive though, so it’s not the perfect gauge.

I use Nokian all WEATHER tires. It's a compromise between summer and winter tires but better than all season (3 season tires). Saves me from getting two sets of tires. I travel between Vancouver, Canada to Los Angeles twice a year and have seen some really bad winter conditions through Oregon. Once had my guage at -10km (-6 miles) in the middle of nowhere late at night and freezing out...barely making it to a supercharger. Had to turn everything off, even headlights, roll windows down cause they were fogging up from no climate control and reduce speed by half. Looked on my app before plugging in and it said I had less than 50 meters (about 150 feet) remaining in the battery, was really lucky I guess. Ever since then, I've always charged extra even when the software says there's enough to the next destination. You need even more in cold conditions. The software is a lot better now but there's always unknown factors.