Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow socks in lieu of chains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the AWD Model 3 and am interested in these for ski trips on a particular mountain road that often requires chains. Winter tires would be great, but it's only 3-5 days a year, otherwise I'm in hotter temps.

Alternatively there are the Tesla recommended Pewag Sport RSS 76 for 18 inch aeros. But they've been out of stock for a month or so, and nobody else sells them.

Has anyone tried ISSE Snow Socks? I saw a consumer reports review, and all of these textile products fared well.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Oh wow, those looks pretty hardcore! I'd be concerned that they would kill the suspension parts, etc., at least on the front wheels.
Tesla says to only put chains on the rear wheels (actually I wonder if that goes for the socks too...)

Does the road actually require chains? If so then the “socks” won’t do the job. If you have the money and garage space, buy actual snow tires and some cheap wheels to fit them. They’re soooo worth the money, especially in our cars with the quickness they deliver power. If not, maybe just borrow someone’s car for the ski trip or a rental car (check out Costco btw for rental cars)

www.tirerack.com or check your local FB marketplace for people trying to sell lightly used winter tires/wheels.

I’m going skiing a couple of times this season in WA and I believe the state requires you have tire chains on some of these rides up with cops checking on some roads that you have AWD or chains. Apparently auto socks are the only approved alternative in all states. I went to Les Schwab intending to pick up chains because they have a great policy where you can buy them and return them at the end of the season if you didn’t have to use them so I figured it was low risk. When I gave them my model they said they would only sell “alternative” tire chains for the Tesla due to “reduced clearance issues”. They’re look easier to put on for sure but the employee told me that I should only go under 25mph and never on exposed road without snow so they are for true emergencies. Not sure what speed limitations exist for true wheel chains.

I’m going skiing a couple of times this season in WA and I believe the state requires you have tire chains on some of these rides up with cops checking on some roads that you have AWD or chains. Apparently auto socks are the only approved alternative in all states. I went to Les Schwab intending to pick up chains because they have a great policy where you can buy them and return them at the end of the season if you didn’t have to use them so I figured it was low risk. When I gave them my model they said they would only sell “alternative” tire chains for the Tesla due to “reduced clearance issues”. They’re look easier to put on for sure but the employee told me that I should only go under 25mph and never on exposed road without snow so they are for true emergencies. Not sure what speed limitations exist for true wheel chains.
Tire chains have the same limits. I looked at the socks prior to this winter and read mixed reviews on durability.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Tire chains have the same limits. I looked at the socks prior to this winter and read mixed reviews on durability.
Yea I think the big thing is that you should only be using them on snowy roads. The lady told me that if there was a snowy patch transitioning to asphalt, that you should pull over right away and pull them off because they’ll get chewed up.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Yeah exactly - only for specific roads (often mountain ski roads), for short periods of time, and typically under 25-30 mph (depending on the product specs). The socks are considered to be consumables.

The issue with the Model 3 is also wheel clearance, otherwise I'd go with a solid 3-party chain. Tesla certifies that the Pewags will work (rear wheels only) without destroying suspension parts, etc. However, a word of warning: I've seen evidence that the Pewags can scrape the rims a little.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I'm in France where it has just become mandatory to have chains or socks in the car if you drive in any of the mountainous regions. We are not directly in the mountains but some of the towns we have to pass through to go anywhere are classified as mountainous zones. I'd be happier with the snow socks as I've had rims and wheels scuffed and scratched by chains in the past. Of course finding compatible socks for the M3 at short notice will be interesting.
I don't want to buy winter tyres because I don't spend the winter here, just November usually.