Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow tires for 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I just took delivery (19 October 2022) of an extended range Model Y. This is my first Tesla and I am seeking recommendations for snow tires for the beast. I live in Colorado and good snow tires are a must. Thanks for the help.

while back in 2016 I bought a used 2013 Nissan Leaf FWD and it runs a champ in Colorado winter. It has one of the worst rated tire-Blacklion but I drove it every winter no matter the amount of snow (instead of my other car Subaru). I got the very early M3 RWD in 2018-the Michelin Cross Climate 2 is so awesome. I don't like winter tire-replacing & storing off season is a waste of money/space.

Upvote 0
19" Hakkapelitta R3 on Replika R241 wheels for my Model Y in Colorado. I am very happy with them. On my Model 3 I run the Michelin Cross Climate 2. This is my first winter on the Cross Climate 2 but I had the Cross Climate+ before that and was happy enough with them to buy the next version.

The MY goes skiing so that is why it has the real snow tires whilst the M3 is mostly between Denver and Colorado Springs and it does fine with the all-seasons. The Cross Climate+ was better in rain than snow. I will be getting them (Cross Climate 2) for the MY for summer as well.

I spent about $150 at Harbor Freight on a breaker bar, floor jack, torque wrench, and socket so that I can swap the Model Y tires out in the garage. It doesn't take long and I have the space to store the MY summer tires.

Upvote 0
while back in 2016 I bought a used 2013 Nissan Leaf FWD and it runs a champ in Colorado winter. It has one of the worst rated tire-Blacklion but I drove it every winter no matter the amount of snow (instead of my other car Subaru). I got the very early M3 RWD in 2018-the Michelin Cross Climate 2 is so awesome. I don't like winter tire-replacing & storing off season is a waste of money/space.
In Texas I don't need a winter tires anymore, but in climat like your, I would deeeeeefinitely have two set of tires - summer tires and winter tires. all-seasons is like having half of summer tires' performance and less than half of winter tires' performance.

And it's not wasting money at all, because summer tires last longer during the summer than all-seasons. So one set of summer tires and one set of winter tires will last you longer than two sets of all-seasons PLUS you ll have a MUCH better road performance during each of the seasons.

Reactions: arbitrage000
Upvote 0
Building on this theme about winter tires, and I appreciate everyone’s feedback/experiences, what are your best practices driving your Model Y during snowstorms or winter conditions? I have a MYP for reference and just put everything in chill mode, drive under 25mph.
It can be difficult to hold to no more than 25 MPH when descending a hill. On highways you need to increase your usual follow distance by double or more; then invariably other drivers will enter the space you have created between your vehicle and the one ahead. Better to stay off the road altogether until the roads have been plowed and treated.

Reactions: Redekw
Upvote 0
Building on this theme about winter tires, and I appreciate everyone’s feedback/experiences, what are your best practices driving your Model Y during snowstorms or winter conditions? I have a MYP for reference and just put everything in chill mode, drive under 25mph.
Chill mode, low regen, no autopilot/adaptive cruise control, use seat heaters to offload hvac, preheat if your car has been out overnight (watch for windows that are frozen stuck and don’t drop when opening the doors, make sure not to close your door if so), delay charging to near departure time so that battery is warm.

Upvote 0
In Texas I don't need a winter tires anymore, but in climat like your, I would deeeeeefinitely have two set of tires - summer tires and winter tires. all-seasons is like having half of summer tires' performance and less than half of winter tires' performance.

And it's not wasting money at all, because summer tires last longer during the summer than all-seasons. So one set of summer tires and one set of winter tires will last you longer than two sets of all-seasons PLUS you ll have a MUCH better road performance during each of the seasons.
lived in Colorado for so long-never/ever own Winter tires-now, the Climate is screwed up I rarely see snow storm like I used to. Through the years I've seen supposedly AWD had issues in winter. I tell people follow the basic winter driving rule: Drive slow no matter!

Upvote 0
lived in Colorado for so long-never/ever own Winter tires-now, the Climate is screwed up I rarely see snow storm like I used to. Through the years I've seen supposedly AWD had issues in winter. I tell people follow the basic winter driving rule: Drive slow no matter!
Winter tires are not only for snow storms. Winter tires have softer rubber compound and because of that, they perform much better in cool/cold weather even on a completely dry and clean road. The normal operating temperature for winter tires is around 45F and below. But even if a few days during the winter you ll have days around 50-60F, it's not a problem for a winter tire, you ll just feel a little softer steering and handling.

You just need to try a winter tire once, to understand the difference I am talking about.
Before the Texas I lived in a climate warmer than Colorado, we had snow 2-3 times only during the winter, and temperatures rarely went and stayed below 30F. But even then, I had summer and winter sets of tires, because the benefits were obvious.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I'm new to the Forum and may not be posting my question correctly.
I have Y LR with the 20" rims and tires.
Can I use 19" rims and tires for winter driving or do I have to purchase 20" like I have now? Trying to save a little $, if possible.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello,
Can I use 19" rims and tires for winter driving or do I have to purchase 20" like I have now? Trying to save a little $, if possible.
Thanks
You can use 19", even 18" wheels and tires (the smaller wheel size is popular option when selecting winter tires) on the Long Range Model Y.

Upvote 0
The 18" winter tires are a good option due to more selections available. But in my opinion the Model Y does fine with all season tires in any amount of snow I would actually consider driving in due to the effectiveness of the traction control and the option to turn on off road mode to distribute the drive and braking forces evenly front to back. It even works on ice in this mode. Some people are very concerned with the regenerative braking causing loss of control but I have never found this to be an issue. I think it depends on individual driving style. With the 20" tire size though I'm not sure if there are many good all season offerings. I have the regular 19" wheels.

Upvote 0
Hello,
Thanks
Yes. If you're buying them from Tesla and are logged in, the website should say they fit your car.

Upvote 0
cant open new post so im tagging on:

2023 Y LR, i would like more ground clearance than the stock snows. i dont care much about performance.

im looking at an 19" 255/45R19, but can the wheel well handle a taller tire, if so what would the profile look like?

Upvote 0
I know you’ve already made your purchase so just another data point from me for others looking.

I’m likely in the minority, but I chose to buy Tesla’s $2750 19” winter tire and wheel combo (4x Gemini wheels, Pirelli Sottozero, TPMS). I got the store alert that they were in stock a few weeks ago, bought them online, got them shipped to my local SC, and had them installed by the following weekend. 30 minute install appointment, and the brand-new original wheels and conti tires are in my basement ready for the swap back in early April-ish.

For me, it was painless, and the Pirelli’s don’t seem any louder than the stock Conti’s so far.

I’m at about 279 Wh/mile combo city/hwy after about 900 miles on the winters. 2023 MYLR.

Edit: side note: always been extremely pleased with the team and service at the Council Bluffs IA SC.
Dumb question. If I switch to winter tires and we don’t get much snow, is the ride still ok? In Des Moines and sometimes we have snow and other times I have weeks of dry pavement. Don’t feel like I need anything more than a all season tire but open to ideas

Upvote 0
Dumb question. If I switch to winter tires and we don’t get much snow, is the ride still ok? In Des Moines and sometimes we have snow and other times I have weeks of dry pavement. Don’t feel like I need anything more than a all season tire but open to ideas
Depends on outside temperature. The 46F and below is considered the optimal operating temperature for winter tires. So if it's your case - you are completely fine switching to winter tires.
1697469202857.png

Reactions: heavync
Upvote 0