Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow with the Model Y RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First batch of snow this morning and the MY RWD handled really well on the roads with about 2inch snow and also the icy roads was nice and steady! Then the issue came uphill I would say around half inch snow the wheels started to spin!

At that moment I was not aware of slip start mode which was turned off but I managed to get up the hill just about!

My question is does this need to be constantly on during snow and icy road weather ? Or just when pulling out a drive or going uphill on show or in mud etc ?

I have summer tyres at the moment but will upgrade to all season next winter if I can survive these two months!

My feeling is that by the point you need the slip-start it's going to be too late. I've never got to the point where power to the wheels has been cut completely in icy conditions.

Easiest solution is, as you say, to fit winter tyres. I have them on my 3 LR and haven't touched the slip-start option in two years of ownership in North Yorkshire.

Reactions: herohonda777
Slip start is basically turning down the traction control to allow some wheel spin. This may allow the tyres to cut through snow or mud, to find some traction underneath. It’s limited in its effectiveness and may get you unstuck. It wouldn’t provide any help with ice. All season tyres or winter tyres make a huge difference as the rubber works much better at temperatures lower than 7 degrees and the tread will pick up snow (snow sticks to snow well) therefore aiding traction.

I don’t think driving around in slip mode will make much difference if you’re on summer tyres so I wouldn’t worry if it’s on or off. If you get to a stage where you’re struggling, it may help, but will have limited success.

I use winter tyres on my RWD M3 SR+ but have not actually found any advantage using "slip start". I just drive gently and can go anywhere! I understand that it is a setting to deal with a particular situation rather than a mode to leave on all the time. In my view safe winter driving is all about avoiding losing traction*. There are some exceptional circumstances where it may be advantageous to intentionally spin the wheels when all else fails. Torque at almost zero revs is so good on an EV you are usually going to be best just using a very light right foot and letting the excellent traction control do its thing.

*Not including "fun" in areas off the public road.

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Winter tyres are brilliant... plus 4x4

My first ROI picture for this year.

Pirelli Zippi Grippi's (said with a strong Italian accent...)

20230118_133734.jpg

Bad idea. Really bad idea to delay. Even AS tyres is not a great choice unlesss they are rated with the 3MP snow symbol.
This the UK. Tyre designations are different. AS tyres here are not the same as AS in USA. This is one of the reasons we have UK/Ireland sub-forum so that discussions remain relevant to our shared experience. Our version of Michelin CrossClimate 2 all season for example outperforms many full winter tyres in the snow.

This the UK. Tyre designations are different. AS tyres here are not the same as AS in USA. This is one of the reasons we have UK/Ireland sub-forum so that discussions remain relevant to our shared experience. Our version of Michelin CrossClimate 2 all season for example outperforms many full winter tyres in the snow.
The Michelin are the ones that I am going for! Great tyres!

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I used to fit winter tyres but modern all season tyres are usually better in our climate because although the usually have slightly less grip in the snow they are better in the wet and we do far more driving in the wet than the snow.
I have Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF2 Elect on my model Y, they are very good in the snow but I have been hugely impressed with how much grip they have on wet, icy, muddy Perthshire backroads.
Tesla.jpg

Agree with Michelin CC2s. These are my winter tyres for my M3LR and swap them for the Pilot’s late spring. Living down south didn’t see the need for full winters and they are almost as good anyway. Have tested them up in NE Scotland in snow and were flawless.

Edit: I know we don’t get much snow but at lower temps just above freezing they do improve grip and traction on greasy roads over the standard summer Pilots.

I used to fit winter tyres but modern all season tyres are usually better in our climate because although the usually have slightly less grip in the snow they are better in the wet and we do far more driving in the wet than the snow.

I have Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF2 Elect on my model Y, they are very good in the snow but I have been hugely impressed with how much grip they have on wet, icy, muddy Perthshire backroads.
Also can vouch for these Pirelli Scorpion All Season. This is what Land Rover put on my Disco 5 and actually the white stuff a few weeks ago was the first time got to try them out in snow, was really pretty impressed. I think All Season is a really good fit for UK weather.