Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow with the Model Y RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be skeptical ... but even better refer to actual tests:
OK,

Which of the listed tyres are dedicated winter tyres ? I ask because you said
Our version of Michelin CrossClimate 2 all season for example outperforms many full winter tyres in the snow.

All I see it that the CC2 does even match a reference winter tyre. Don't presume I am against CC2 -- it is what I have on my car. I just do not delude myself into thinking that it is a match for dedicated winter tyres. And in any case, my point was to not drive on summer tyres when cold/icy/snowy roads.

Last edited:
OK,

Which of the listed tyres are dedicated winter tyres ? I ask because you said
Watch the video

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 18.18.04.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at your graph
Did you watch the video? This is all about choosing a suitable tyre for the conditions. It's about compromises. If you drive in snow much of the time the best tyre is a dedicated winter tyre. Surprisingly in some parameters an AS can match or exceed the performance of a winter tyre even in those conditions... though a winter tyre will be better overall. In mixed winter conditions such as those experienced in the UK where snow is relatively rare it is argued that an AS tyre is a sound choice. No tyre can be the best in all conditions. In the UK we would have to be changing our tyres on a daily basis to have the best performance in cold wet weather or in cold dry weather or in warm dry weather or on wet salty slushy roads or (rarely) on packed snow. We therefore need to choose the best compromise. In practice there is only a tiny percentage of UK vehicles have their tyres changed for winter/summer. Most people drive all year on what you would call summer tyres. Some people (including myself in recent years) do use a dedicated winter tyre and change for summer but we are the exception. The variability of our weather makes an AS tyre a reasonable choice if not wanting to change tyres/wheels twice a year ... especially as the weather where a dedicated winter tyre excels is a relative rarity in most of the country.

How many accidents would you like to have a year ?

How many days a year does water on the road freeze ?

How many days a year do you drive in ambient below 40F, when summer tyres lose traction from loss of flexibility ?
what I am saying, is that there is 1 day with snow every 2 years where I am and no one uses winter tyres.
Secondly, the amount of days when water freezes in uk is more or less the same as number of days when it is snowing.
Thirdly, I am well aware of summer tyre rubber compound behaviour in low temps.

Most inportantly, I myself come from a country where summer tyres are banned from 1st of November till 1st of April and I know the benefits of winter tyres probably better than you do :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FastLaneJB
One of the reasons I chose to fit winter tyres and wheels to my M3P, even though we rarely get snow in southern England, is that according to Michelin the summer tyres I use (Michelin PS4S) may be structurally damaged if put under load, i.e. driven, in temperatures of -7 C or less. Where I live in Oxfordshire temperatures this low are not that uncommon. This winter we have seen as low -12 C!

Bad idea. Really bad idea to delay. Even AS tyres is not a great choice unlesss they are rated with the 3MP snow symbol.

Color me sketical.

However, as I wrote above there are AS, and there is AS with the 3MP rating. That is true in the EU also, so far as I know
Most of the all season that are available here have the 3MP, as someone has already pointed out your in a different region and things are not the same where you are.

Also can vouch for these Pirelli Scorpion All Season. This is what Land Rover put on my Disco 5 and actually the white stuff a few weeks ago was the first time got to try them out in snow, was really pretty impressed. I think All Season is a really good fit for UK weather.
I had the Scorpion Zero All Seasons (21s) on my two Disco 5s, they are good. I’m going to switch my MY to them (or other AS tyres) before next winter. Hopefully will have got 50% life or more out of the current summer tyres by then.

I had the Scorpion Zero All Seasons (21s) on my two Disco 5s, they are good. I’m going to switch my MY to them (or other AS tyres) before next winter. Hopefully will have got 50% life or more out of the current summer tyres by then.
Good plan. Wonder though if it has an impact on efficiency. I suspect a bit but wonder how much. Guess you'll be able to tell us in half a year or so 👍

Reactions: MashinBenzin
looking to change to AS tyres when I need to replace my existing MY tyres. Is there any comparison in terms of wear between summer and AS tyres.
Just think if rubber a bit softer on AS they will wear out quicker but I could be wrong ?

Good plan. Wonder though if it has an impact on efficiency. I suspect a bit but wonder how much. Guess you'll be able to tell us in half a year or so 👍
My layman’s theory is that the bigger efficiency impact will be in summer when range is good anyway, so a hit can be absorbed.

On a freezing wet winter’s day when the range is down to 200 miles anyway, I suspect the increased rolling resistance will barely figure.

Just a guess.

My layman’s theory is that the bigger efficiency impact will be in summer when range is good anyway, so a hit can be absorbed.

On a freezing wet winter’s day when the range is down to 200 miles anyway, I suspect the increased rolling resistance will barely figure.

Just a guess.
That seems logical. I forget exact figure but tyres can make up to a 15% difference in fuel economy on an ICE. I wonder though if they can soak that up more due to their general inefficient nature more than an EV.

Maybe should Google this as someone must have tried this already.

That seems logical. I forget exact figure but tyres can make up to a 15% difference in fuel economy on an ICE. I wonder though if they can soak that up more due to their general inefficient nature more than an EV.

Maybe should Google this as someone must have tried this already.
I haven’t found a noticeable effect on efficiency (surprisingly) in running winter tyres vs summer tyres. I’ve even run the winters in summer temperatures which rules out the fact that you get better efficiency in summer vs winter.