TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Snowchains on 21"?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lloyds, Oct 28, 2013.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

So anyone done it yet? The chains I've seen offered are for the 19"s only. Just wanted to see if anyone's seen it available for the 21s and if so, what are your experiences with chains on them.

2. AC1K

AC1K Member

hopefully you are not planning on putting chains on summer tires...

to be honest, 21" 30 series tires for winter is probably the worst thing you can do, i dont recommend it at all.

if you are going to some where heavily snowed in i recommend steel 19" wheels with studded tires and chains.

if you hit anything under the snow with 21" wheels, i guarantee that you will bend the rim and blow the tire.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

ditto. don't drive in snow on those wheels/rims...unless you enjoy ice skating with $100k liability when you fall.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

AC1K and Yobigd are correct. Get a set of 19" wheels and tires. Summer performance tires' tread compound turns hard when the temperature is below 40 F. Don't risk it. If economics are a concern, look for some used wheels. You don't want to mess up your expensive 21" wheels with winter driving anyway.

5. lloyds

lloyds Member

Thanks all. It was out of laziness that made me wonder if I can do it on the 21s over getting the 19s swapped for the season. Makes a whole lot of sense.