TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Snowfall Glare

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by wycolo, May 1, 2013.

1. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#1 wycolo, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    Drove thru heavy snowfall last night over the Divide. High beams = too much snow glare as per usual. Low beams = also lots of snow glare which really made driving difficult. There is simply too much light reflected upward from the headlights and enclosures.

S_headlights-upward.jpg

This on a green ('black') ModelS. The shiny bottom plates should be sprayed flat black. Also the bottom surfaces of the lens caps could be blushed with flat black paint.

My low beams are adjusted a bit high and I do plan to drop them a bit. But that is definitely not the cause of this problem. And no other car I've driven has produced so much glare.
    --

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#2 wycolo, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Exhibit #2: Roadster offering: plan view:

roadster-headlights-upward.jpg

Shows why driving thru heavy snowfall is a non-issue with Roadster 2.0. Do 'white' ModelSs have the blacked-out treatment from factory??

Will attempt to 'get into' ModelS headlight assemblies sometime this summer to spray at least the bottoms flat black. Maybe just inject the paint & slosh it around. :smile:
    --

3. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Good point. I hadn't figured out what was causing the snow glare.