Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Snowflake" icon seen Model-3 dashboard & phone app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellow Model-3 owners,

In past few days it's been cold in Virginia. I have been seeing (off n' on) a 'snowflake' icon besides the the battery (miles remaining) life information on the dashboard & the app in my cellphone. Please review the attached two photos of what I mean. These two photos were take on two different days.

Any idea why this is seen (other than the obvious reason that its cold outside), is there anything wrong with the battery or anything else? Thanks.

Cold Tesla with Snowflake Icon-1.JPG
Cold Tesla with Snowflake Icon-2.jpeg

LMGTFY

The snowflake means that the battery is very cold and power and capacity will be limited.

First stage of cold: Limited or no regen available
Second Stage of cold: Available power is slightly reduced
Third stage of cold: The snowflake appears and power is seriously limited and no regen available

It hit -22 here yesterday and after the car sat in that all day, I’ve never driven a Tesla that gutless. I had zero regen and only about 50kW of drive power. I could barely get up to highway speed ...

Hello Fellow Model-3 owners,

In past few days it's been cold in Virginia. I have been seeing (off n' on) a 'snowflake' icon besides the the battery (miles remaining) life information on the dashboard & the app in my cellphone. Please review the attached two photos of what I mean. These two photos were take on two different days.

Any idea why this is seen (other than the obvious reason that its cold outside), is there anything wrong with the battery or anything else? Thanks.

View attachment 360727 View attachment 360726
Have you considered reading the owners manual?

In all seriousness, it's page 44 in the manual

-------
Note: In cold weather, some of the stored
energy in the Battery may not be available
until the Battery warms up. When this
happens, a portion of the Battery meter is
blue and the driving distance value has a
snowflake image next to it. If Model 3 is
plugged in, you can heat your Battery
using wall power by turning on climate
control using the mobile app. When the
Battery warms up, the blue portion on the
meter and the snowflake image are no
longer displayed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Saturday
I sometimes get the dots on the left side of the consumption meter even when it's not cold (60s), but without the snowflake or a warning about limited regen. Happens irrespective of battery level (my car hasn't been above 80% since summer). Can't make sense of that one but haven't quite been annoyed enough to ping Tesla about it.

In all seriousness, it's page 44 in the manual

-------
Note: In cold weather, some of the stored
energy in the Battery may not be available
until the Battery warms up. When this
happens, a portion of the Battery meter is
blue and the driving distance value has a
snowflake image next to it. If Model 3 is
plugged in, you can heat your Battery
using wall power by turning on climate
control using the mobile app. When the
Battery warms up, the blue portion on the
meter and the snowflake image are no
longer displayed.

Have read the manual, but it's better to get actual experiences from M-3 users.

Reactions: Fizzyo