TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Snowflake icon

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by alb, Jan 9, 2017.

1. alb

alb Member

My 2015 Model S had a snowflake icon on the dash today next to the battery guage. I know this is an indication of cold weather but does anyone have any idea why it would be on at 9 degrees, off at 6 degrees (lower), back on at 5 degrees?

Is there any additional logic other than the temperature? I looked in the manual on the dash but the icon wasn't listed.

Attached Files:

2. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I believe it is that the battery, or a portion of it, is too cold to accept a charge. It sounds like it was warming up but as you were driving the cold air brought the packs temperature down again.

• Like x 1
  3. alb

alb Member

Thanks, I had never seen it before. Makes sense with the snow, wind and single digit temperatures in Boston right now.

4. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

IIRC this was introduced in 4.x but I figured they had since removed it. It indicates that the battery is very cold and that the range estimate may be inaccurate.

5. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

Odd. The snowflake on the Mercedes, VW, Audi and Saab I owned always indicated possible ice conditions: 25 to 36 farenheit if memory serves.