Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowmode for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going to be difficult to know other than doing the same test as Bjorn did with the MY. It would be easy although you need the OBD dongle. The pass through is a little tough to put behind the cover in the MY but can be done. I keep the OBD Bluetooth module out between the passenger seat and center console. Now to the software. These minor undocumented changes are hard to keep up with to determine what firmware has this feature. I'm not sure if it was mentioned what firmware he was using in his test. Another thought is that the Model Y comes with off road assist. I wonder if selecting that feature will give you as Bjorn says, (Snow Mode).

It's going to be difficult to know other than doing the same test as Bjorn did with the MY. It would be easy although you need the OBD dongle. The pass through is a little tough to put behind the cover in the MY but can be done. I keep the OBD Bluetooth module out between the passenger seat and center console. Now to the software. These minor undocumented changes are hard to keep up with to determine what firmware has this feature. I'm not sure if it was mentioned what firmware he was using in his test. Another thought is that the Model Y comes with off road assist. I wonder if selecting that feature will give you as Bjorn says, (Snow Mode).

I wonder if the recent documented "improvements to regeneration" include snow mode and they just didn't bother to mention it?

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
I'm almost certain that the Y also has the new snow mode, which would have been described as "cold weather improvements" in the software release notes.
So how is it implemented?
If it's not something you can manually turn on or off I'm not interested. Right now lowering regen and driving in chill mode work just fine.
How can you control regen on a MY?? I understand that some early models allowed this, but surely those cars have received updates that removed the adjustability. How do you still have it?

So how is it implemented?
50/50 power distribution for a period of time when the car detects slippery conditions. Bjorn has a good video about this (posted in the first post of this thread).
How can you control regen on a MY?? I understand that some early models allowed this, but surely those cars have received updates that removed the adjustability. How do you still have it?
Early cars have adjustable regen but newer cars don’t. Tesla has not removed the controls from cars that were delivered with it.

Reactions: ScottNY
Reactions: SWIPE and Big Earl
From my experience driving ours on snow, I agree – snow mode exists, and it works well.

In this recent Norwegian test of the effect of regeneration on snow and ice, the Model Y performed "without drama" and was "perfectly safe" 👍

Unlike the Ioniq 5...
I have to agree. I haven't had my MYLR for very long, but in that time we've had a few days with snow and one particular day with nasty ice. The car handled a lot better than I expected it to. I was used to our old Subaru Ascent where snow/ice would get it to slide around a bit. The MYLR feels far more planted. The one time it was sliding a bit going into a turn lane, you could feel the car working against the slippage. Honestly, I was rather impressed.

First winter 20/21 with the MY, the rear end was rather squirrelly in slippery winter conditions. Car always straightened itself out and never an issue however someone who does not understand what is happening would probably get white knuckled because this does not happen on FWD ice vehicles. Winter of 21/22 there was definitely a change as the rear end settled down quite a bit in comparison, almost non existent. So yes I would say they changed something. I would not call it snow mode but rather slip detection mode as it would work as well on slippery water covered street or muddy roads. making it seamless was definitely the right choice.