Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowshoe Mountain Destination Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Washington DC to Snowshoe in a Model X 75D:

Start with 90%, coffee break (15 min supercharge) at Mt Jackson, and the 1 hour in Staunton. You need 65% to get to the top - so top up to 90 and drive calmly. The last climb from Cass to Mountain Top is 12kW or 15% of a 75kW. Drive is 4:30 with charging of 1:15 for a total of 5:45.

It’s much more likely to slide or spin on the road to Snowshoe with those high torque motors than to get run out of energy. So keep calm, and “Chill”

We just arrived with comfortable 33% energy left and we are pugged in the 50A Tesla charger - empty at the time. Outside was windy, snowing, and 20F and the predicted energy consumption was right on spot. Thanks to Tesla’s navigation team for tuning it so well!!!

Attachments

• 994F5629-4531-4FF5-9960-2071DCE56F9E.jpeg
    994F5629-4531-4FF5-9960-2071DCE56F9E.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 123
This charger no longer appears on the Tesla map or Plugshare. Does anyone know the story? I'm assuming it's no longer around...

Green Bank Observatory added a Clipper Creek pair at least, so not a total desert, but still a tough haul through that area if moseying around.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
This charger no longer appears on the Tesla map or Plugshare. Does anyone know the story? I'm assuming it's no longer around...

Green Bank Observatory added a Clipper Creek pair at least, so not a total desert, but still a tough haul through that area if moseying around.
Seneca chargers are still on their website :https://www.snowshoemtn.com/discover-snowshoe/frequently-asked-questions

I used their wall outlets in their covered garages to trickle charge too.

weird. why would a business remove their tesla chargers and leave the generic j1772 ones.
An increasing number of EV's on the road are not Teslas and all EV's can use a J1772. In addition these EVSE's are generally available at Home Improvement stores for a nominal amount of money. Hotel/Resort can satisfy more guests.

Only negative would be the removal from Tesla's "destination charger" database. Users of other EV's are already more familiar with Plugshare than the average Tesla owner.

An increasing number of EV's on the road are not Teslas and all EV's can use a J1772. In addition these EVSE's are generally available at Home Improvement stores for a nominal amount of money. Hotel/Resort can satisfy more guests.

Only negative would be the removal from Tesla's "destination charger" database. Users of other EV's are already more familiar with Plugshare than the average Tesla owner.

The bigger negative is that now Tesla owners have to compete with the non-Tesla in charging at the J1772s. Snowshoe had Tesla chargers. Better to add the J1772 while still leaving the Tesla chargers.

Reactions: loganwatson
The bigger negative is that now Tesla owners have to compete with the non-Tesla in charging at the J1772s. Snowshoe had Tesla chargers. Better to add the J1772 while still leaving the Tesla chargers.
I would agree but a company makes an adapter to allow a Tesla destination charger to work with other J1772, similar to how we have adapters. Ultimately, by removing the Destination chargers it’ll appear as if the car can’t make it to the place in the cold weather because often you’d have to charge the moment you get there. I don’t think a standard range could even make it. The cold is brutal to the battery going to snowshoe combined with going up hill.

So now that it won’t be in the Tesla Nav it will deter the common driver who doesn’t know to go through PlugShare etc.

I would agree but a company makes an adapter to allow a Tesla destination charger to work with other J1772, similar to how we have adapters.

Similar, but not. That adapter is a $160+ item. Doubtful that most individuals would have that, although I suppose the resort could invest in an adapter or two.

So now that it won’t be in the Tesla Nav it will deter the common driver who doesn’t know to go through PlugShare etc.

I consider that a sad statement for the average Tesla driver (even though in some cases it's true). Somehow "regular" EV drivers have figured out how to find non-Tesla charging stations!

I consider that a sad statement for the average Tesla driver (even though in some cases it's true). Somehow "regular" EV drivers have figured out how to find non-Tesla charging stations!
Alternatively, it could be a statement about how much better and more comprehensive Tesla's charging solutions are. Their coverage and discovery system through the in-car navigation and website are good enough that most oblivious Tesla owners are never forced to "grow up" and be fully competent EV adults.

I would agree but a company makes an adapter to allow a Tesla destination charger to work with other J1772, similar to how we have adapters. Ultimately, by removing the Destination chargers it’ll appear as if the car can’t make it to the place in the cold weather because often you’d have to charge the moment you get there. I don’t think a standard range could even make it. The cold is brutal to the battery going to snowshoe combined with going up hill.

Inclusive vs Exclusive. Clearly many here would like to see hotels always be exclusive to Tesla. If someone were to bring their Tesla destination to J1772 adapter, folks would complain that Tesla helped foot the bill to put in those chargers and other makes shouldn't even be able to use them with an adapter. Let alone the fact that these adapters until recently were closer to $400 than $200.

If the mission is to encourage EV adoption - especially in West Virginia - we shouldn't encourage artificial barriers.

Reactions: SigNC and RTPEV
I’ve taken my model 3from FAIRFAX va to snowshoe about 4 times a year since mid 2018 when I got my 3. Most times until this winter, the 2 destination chargers had been empty. Not anymore! 4 of us jockeyedforaccess during midweek before Xmas season 2020. And today Sunday night not in a holiday period both were occupied and 2 were coming back to charge. Snowshoe staff- please add more chargers as usage is growing quickly. I need to charge to 250miles in Strasburg va to drive another 140 miles to snowshoe. I arrive with 50 miles, left Due to climbing and the cold. More chargers are essential if snowshoe wants ev drivers to visit.

growing

I’ve taken my model 3from FAIRFAX va to snowshoe about 4 times a year since mid 2018 when I got my 3. Most times until this winter, the 2 destination chargers had been empty. Not anymore! 4 of us jockeyedforaccess during midweek before Xmas season 2020. And today Sunday night not in a holiday period both were occupied and 2 were coming back to charge. Snowshoe staff- please add more chargers as usage is growing quickly. I need to charge to 250miles in Strasburg va to drive another 140 miles to snowshoe. I arrive with 50 miles, left Due to climbing and the cold. More chargers are essential if snowshoe wants ev drivers to visit.

growing
This whole chain has been really interesting to me. I haven't taken the EV plunge yet and one of my concerns is the Snowshoe trip from northern Virginia. That's a trip I usually make about four times during ski season. I noticed on the Tesla 'findme' site that Snowshoe wasn't listed although Snowshoe's website says they have chargers ... in addition to the two mentioned in the chain above Snowshoe says they have a pair at Mountain top and also two at Silver Creek I think. I had done enough other reading to understand that the mountains and cold would be tough on EV range and the experiences mentioned above certainly confirm and quantify the issue. In case anyone is interested, you can find real world independent test data videos on the web from the Norwegian auto club, in English or at least English subtitles, I don't recall which at the moment. Back to the range, my gas car, a 2020 Acura RDX, will not make the Snowshoe roundtrip, about 400 miles for me, on one tank of gas. As I recall it only holds about 16 or 17 gallons and frankly it's a bit of an economy disappointment. With the mountains I only average in the 24 range for the roundtrip. I leave home with a full tank and fill up either in Moorefield or Petersburg on the way down which then gives me plenty of range to make it the rest of the way and home. I am thinking more about going EV but I'm just not quite there yet. One of the reasons is I put so few miles on a car anymore since I've retired. In the year and three quarters or so I've had the RDX I've put less than 5000 miles on it and probably 25% of that mileage is going skiing to Snowshoe or Whitetail or Liberty. With so few miles it gets harder to justify an EV on economic grounds. In any event, thanks to all of you who posted above for sharing so much good information.

Reactions: 101dals