Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowshoe or other ski resorts have any convenient charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
Snowshoe or other ski resorts have any convenient charging?

Plugshare shows nothing at Snowshoe, Canaan Valley or Timberline. And just Lake Point Inn at Wisp.

Any other options?

Starting my campaign - please join me:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/forms/contact-us.aspx

Hi There,

I am planning on coming to Snowshoe this winter, again in the late spring for Wanderlust, and again the next winter. It would be really great if I could drive there using my Tesla, but you don't have electric car chargers. Please consider installing electric car chargers and/or Tesla HPWCs, especially since Tesla is now installing a supercharger in Lexington VA and has one installed already in Strausburg, VA. The nearest other chargers for Tesla are 2 at the Greenbriar.

Again, please consider,

Regards,

...Andrew

Starting my campaign - please join me:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/forms/contact-us.aspx

Hi There,

I am planning on coming to Snowshoe this winter, again in the late spring for Wanderlust, and again the next winter. It would be really great if I could drive there using my Tesla, but you don't have electric car chargers. Please consider installing electric car chargers and/or Tesla HPWCs, especially since Tesla is now installing a supercharger in Lexington VA and has one installed already in Strausburg, VA. The nearest other chargers for Tesla are 2 at the Greenbriar.

Again, please consider,

Regards,

...Andrew

Sent an email as well! ;-)

Please let "us" know if there are any other locations to reach out to!

Last edited:
For Snowshoe there is a now a plugshare entry for 2 HPWCs at Seneca. It is 150 miles and 4200 feet elevation from the Strasburg VA supercharger. The Seneca | Snowshoe, WV | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Massanutten has a 14-50 and a couple wall plugs in Lot 2 if they aren't ICEd. Massanutten Resort - Parking Lot 2 | Massanutten, VA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Canann Valley has Canaan Valley Resort State Park Campground | Davis, WV | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare a campground open in winter nearby.

Any others?

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
Winter ski trips from NoVa to Snowshoe, WV. 180 miles, climbing to 5,000 feet on twisting secondary roads. Temps at the top are often in the teens or single digits, snowy roads. Loaded with gear. No charging of any kind (per Plugshare) on the route, no Internet service for more than half of the trip (Greenbank blackout zone). There are two Tesla destination chargers at Snowshoe, but outside, on the back side of the public parking lot (ridge top where it is coldest). If they are out of service, or full, there are not any other options. Telling my wife that we have to turn down the heat to increase the range is definitely not an option.

Compare that to taking my Touareg TDI, 700 mile range, excellent heating that I can park in the heated underground parking garage at the condo (no outlets). I'll keep it just for this.

Could I make it work? Maybe. Does it make sense for me? No.

This weekend confirmed that Seneca garage has outlets in addition to Soaring eagle garage with outlets. And autopilot on many of the well marked roads to snowshoe makes it a breeze.

I supercharged to 244 at Strasburg and arrived at Seneca garage plugging into wall outlet at 16amps with 45 miles range remaining in a P85D in range mode in snow and rain pretty much the whole way and using seat heaters and occasional front defrost, until was obviously in the clear to arrive with a nice buffer and then ran the regular heat towards the end. Nokian wrg3 tires at 50psi. 4 humans plus their baggage and a well loved Autopilot.

Reactions: BobV and swengl
This weekend confirmed that Seneca garage has outlets in addition to Soaring eagle garage with outlets. And autopilot on many of the well marked roads to snowshoe makes it a breeze.

I supercharged to 244 at Strasburg and arrived at Seneca garage plugging into wall outlet at 16amps with 45 miles range remaining in a P85D in range mode in snow and rain pretty much the whole way and using seat heaters and occasional front defrost, until was obviously in the clear to arrive with a nice buffer and then ran the regular heat towards the end. Nokian wrg3 tires at 50psi. 4 humans plus their baggage and a well loved Autopilot.
Nice!! Thx for the good report.