Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snowtrips in the Model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing some planning for a snow trip in the Model 3 from Melbourne. I'm just looking for some heads up from any Model S/X drives on their experience.

I live in inner east Melb and heading up in mid July/August, probably to Mt Buller, it's not the best resort, but it's close and if it's bad well you've got the Yarra Valley early return option. I see the Mansfield Supercharger isn't built yet and doubt it will be there for the season and checked with Mt Buller and asked about electric charging and got the big no.

So i've checked with A Better Route and it's expecting to arrive at the Summit with about 35% charge for a LR Model 3, 75 kWh. I'm guessing that won't take into account the hopefully very cold and snowy weather and it's effect on the battery, or the time waiting in queues, putting snow chains on (rear tyres only I believe for the AWD), the car heater, snow gear.

I'm guessing once the battery warms up a bit you should get some regen on the way back down the from the summit, but any other big gotchas?

I'll probably make it a weekend trip and stay overnight at the Sebel (at the bottom) which has a destination charger.

I guess the other option is to swap over to Hotham/Falls with the longer drive.

Last edited:
Use the seat heater in place of the in car heat to save some energy, seat heaters use a lot less juice. If the roads have any snow at all on them set you regen to low, you will fish tail. Other than those two things the Model 3 is great in the snow and with winter tires it's even better.

Reactions: baillies
I live in inner east Melb and heading up in mid July/August, probably to Mt Buller, it's not the best resort, but it's close and if it's bad well you've got the Yarra Valley early return option. I see the Mansfield Supercharger isn't built yet and doubt it will be there for the season and checked with Mt Buller and asked about electric charging and got the big no...
If you don't want to pay for the Sebel luxury, my daughter has an airbnb called Papillon, 10 minutes drive from Mansfield with a 32A destination charger. More suited to a family, but it is another option for you to consider.

Sounds like you’ll have plenty of juice, just head up in style with the heater blazing and happy passengers.
Leave home with a full 100%, and time it to finish charging just before departure to preheat the battery.

If you don't want to pay for the Sebel luxury, my daughter has an airbnb called Papillon, 10 minutes drive from Mansfield with a 32A destination charger. More suited to a family, but it is another option for you to consider.
You should get your daughter to add her charger to PlugShare and the Tesla site. I often shop for accommodation using PlugShare to shortlist.

Reactions: Flatbat
I thought of getting her to do that, but I reckon it might lead to blow ins trying to sponge a charge, rather than staying the night ;)
Instead I created a chrome plugin called evBNB that filters airbnb to find stays with EV Chargers. You cannot filter for this in the airbnb. Shopping the same outcome to what you suggest, from the opposite direction.

I'm doing some planning for a snow trip in the Model 3 from Melbourne. I'm just looking for some heads up from any Model S/X drives on their experience.

I live in inner east Melb and heading up in mid July/August, probably to Mt Buller, it's not the best resort, but it's close and if it's bad well you've got the Yarra Valley early return option. I see the Mansfield Supercharger isn't built yet and doubt it will be there for the season and checked with Mt Buller and asked about electric charging and got the big no.

So i've checked with A Better Route and it's expecting to arrive at the Summit with about 35% charge for a LR Model 3, 75 kWh. I'm guessing that won't take into account the hopefully very cold and snowy weather and it's effect on the battery, or the time waiting in queues, putting snow chains on (rear tyres only I believe for the AWD), the car heater, snow gear.

I'm guessing once the battery warms up a bit you should get some regen on the way back down the from the summit, but any other big gotchas?

I'll probably make it a weekend trip and stay overnight at the Sebel (at the bottom) which has a destination charger.

I guess the other option is to swap over to Hotham/Falls with the longer drive.

It's how we do it, stay at the Sebel and bus it up each day...we leave all our stuff at the top in lockers etc. and having nothing to carry up each day. The charger at Sebel (x2) is good.

We do this in a Model X 75D (with 22's).....don't plan on doing it in my 3 and never took the S up to the snow.