TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Snowy drive over Hwy 58

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Lyon, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Took my P85 Classic over the Willamette Pass today. 32 degrees, snowing, packed snow over ice on the road. Tires: Nokian WRG3. Grip was pretty darn good given the slippery road surface.

IMG_6517.jpg IMG_6519.jpg IMG_6521.jpg

2. evp

evp Nerd

Sweet pictures! I've driven that road, in those conditions. It was not the most fun part of my life.

3. ilovemycoffee

ilovemycoffee Member

Great pictures! I just got Nokian WRG3's installed on our car yesterday, thanks to your recommendation. Glad to see you made the trip safely. I take it you didn't have to worry about chains? We were thinking of going over the pass next month ourselves.

The last trip we took with our minivan it was nasty, white knuckle driving, even with chains. :scared:

4. Lyon

Yeah, no major drama.... or chains. A huge factor in how well this thing drives in the snow is how well balanced it is. If you get a little wiggle it's not a significant event and only requires a very minor correction. To be clear, with all the power this car has, I was able to spin the rear tires at 55mph on that surface but the traction control always stepped in to keep things tidy.

I can only imagine that the dual motor cars would drive over this like it was bare pavement.

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Those conditions were perfect for wheel well build-up. Did you ever sense the front tires were affected by snow blocking their turning ability? Did you have to knock snow loose at any time?

6. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I can attest that the 85D has exceptional performance in snow. I've been driving a fair amount in snow since I got the car last Feb. including a few trips over mountain passes in snow storms with snow and ice on the roads. It really feels like driving on dry pavement. I never have felt the car slip or slide. The weight distribution (low and 50-50), all wheel drive and traction control/stability control all work flawlessly to give a very safe, secure ride. Just another way this in an incredible car.

7. Lyon

I did not. It was about 31-32 degrees and most of that stuff just fell off periodically.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a strong likelihood that I will join the dual motor crowd in the future. At the moment we are waiting for my wife's Model X so come at the end of the month. Maybe she'll let me drive it some.

8. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Because I had seen it discussed in another thread around regen and black ice, did you have it in normal mode or the regen set to low to make things less grabby when letting off the pedal?

9. Lyon

Normal. I simply modulated the right pedal so as not to transition too hard into regen. In one corner I had to slow things down pretty quickly in order to avoid a snow plow that was about a foot over the center line. I was pretty sure things were going to get ugly but it tracked beautifully.