Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So..., a flying car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Automotive X PRIZE: Automotive X Prize Contestant To Build Hover DeLorean

"Various competitor entries are expected, but none will show the agility of AirShip Technologies Group’s vehicle known as the AirShip. The AirShip ground transport vehicle is designed from the ground up to be powered by electric based track-spheres. Critically developed transit track spheres or “track balls”, shell brakes, suspension systems and guidance software are specified for adaptation to the chassis. For ground transit, all four drive train track spheres have a revolutionary electric base powertrain assembly that incorporates a free moving spherical ball that replaces traditional wheels and tires. The track sphere wheel assembly rotates the spheres by forward, aft and lateral electric motors that can change the direction of travel on demand. The motors fit into circular frame hubs that hold the spheres in place, vastly simplifying the drive system and eliminating the need for fuels that produce Green House Gases (GHGs)."

AirShip Technologies Group | Don't Tell Us We Can't Change The World!

^ There's another.

Anyway, back on topic: What these guys have done is basically reinvent the wheel. Apart from those situations where you need to drive sideways or avoid a truckload of killer robots, I don't see what advantage it gives you.

^ There's another.

Anyway, back on topic: What these guys have done is basically reinvent the wheel.

Re-invented the wheel, or the "in-wheel" motor...?!

Apart from those situations where you need to drive sideways or avoid a truckload of killer robots...

You mean "situations" like changing lanes or, the ever troublesome, parallel parking?

...I don't see what advantage it gives you.

I did mention "parallel parking"...didn't I?

I'd definitely say it's a new wheel.

Changing lanes - apart from when you are in stationary traffic and want to change lane into a gap, I find the steering wheel quite an effective tool for this.

Parallel parking - well maybe - but again I don't find this too tricky either.

Good luck to them, but I'm not convinced it isn't a solution looking for a problem.