Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So about all these ads with people with their hands off the wheel..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems every other car ad these days shows drivers taking their hands off the steering wheel and letting their car "self-drive".

Questions:

Do other cars really have auto-steer features equal to Tesla? (level 2-3)

Why are they showing them with their hands off the wheel if they are supposed to keep them on the wheel?

Reactions: mblakele
The only ads I've seen by other car manufacturers are ones for lane drift / unsafe lane change warnings and automatic emergency braking. Maybe you're referring to videos of self-driving prototypes from the likes Google, Uber, Nissan, and Mobileye? Or homemade videos posted on YouTube of Tesla drivers using Autopilot (sometimes unsafely)?

I've been looking for better information about this too. Maybe it's a little early for good comparisons? Tesla's HW2 is still finding its feet, after all.

Last time around my buying process focused on finding a car that would make my commute as easy as possible. When that turned out to be a Tesla, I bought one. I don't regret that: the car is easy to drive, and I've had a full year of impressive assistance from AP HW1. But if the next substantial improvement comes from another car maker, it will have my full attention.

Other cars do have Level 2 auto-steer systems which require you to have your hands on the steering wheel.

Regardless of what an Ad might show they all have nags if you don't.

V7 firmware with AP1 was the only nag free auto-steer level 2 system. It only nagged when conditions warranted you to needing to have your hands on the steering wheel.

Can't wait to get back to that, but with a more evolved AP system that's capable of Level 3 driving or better.

please specify which ads you are referring to. Tesla does not advocate self driving cars at this point.

Let's see.... I saw a Cadillac ad played over and over during the NCAA Final Four that shows the driver taking her hands off the wheel and letting the car auto steer. I think there was a Lexus ad too. Car makers seem to be touting the technology, what I am wondering is if it even exists and why they are showing them with their hands off the wheel? Wish I could find the ads, but I am not seeing them on Youtube.

Reactions: S'toon
Let's see.... I saw a Cadillac ad played over and over during the NCAA Final Four that shows the driver taking her hands off the wheel and letting the car auto steer. I think there was a Lexus ad too. Car makers seem to be touting the technology, what I am wondering is if it even exists and why they are showing them with their hands off the wheel? Wish I could find the ads, but I am not seeing them on Youtube.

An important point to note about Cadillac is on their upcoming supercruise system (what's shown in the ads) is they don't require the driver to have their hands on the steering wheel. Instead the system visually watches you to make sure you're paying attention. I can't wait to try it out once they start giving demos.

Super Cruise Coming To Cadillac CT6 Late This Year

An important point to note about Cadillac is on their upcoming supercruise system (what's shown in the ads) is they don't require the driver to have their hands on the steering wheel. Instead the system visually watches you to make sure you're paying attention. I can't wait to try it out once they start giving demos.

Super Cruise Coming To Cadillac CT6 Late This Year

Yes, that must be what I saw... and as I expected, it is not available yet. It is interesting that they have concluded that a driver will have time to react to dangerous situations with a flashing light to get their attention. It's a bit risky... that fraction of a second from flash of light to hands on the wheel is crucial. Also, it is geo-fenced to interstates, so I wonder if you can only use it on certain interstates or all interstates? Here is how it is supposed to work:

Brandon Vivian, executive chief engineer at Cadillac, said the system will be unlike any other semi-autonomous system currently on the market for good reason. GM has spent many hours developing safeguards to ensure the driver remains attentive during the system’s use. But, the brand also said it will offer true hands-free driving in the system’s optimal conditions.

“The difference between our system and others is that we’ll have technology to monitor the driver and make sure that they’re being attentive,” explained Vivian. Super Cruise has been developed to operate on interstates, and Cadillac says the vehicle will give a clear indication as to when the system may be engaged.

“It’s geo-fenced to interstates only and we have those mapped,” he added.

As for those safeguards, the system will use the latest facial and eye-tracking technologies to keep tabs on the driver. Dozing off, reading, or any other extracurricular activities are strongly discouraged during use.

“We have lights on the steering wheel that will flash and illuminate and get your attention.” He added the system will also prompt periodic check-ins to ensure the driver is alert and conscious. If the driver does not respond, “the vehicle does have the ability to come to a stop safely,” Vivan assured.

Cadillac firmed up its stance on autonomous vehicles months earlier, stating it will always offer drivers the opportunity and luxury to let go of the steering wheel, but also to regain control at their leisure, per Cadillac President, Johan de Nysschen.

Read more: Super Cruise Scheduled To Launch During The Second Half Of 2017

Seems every other car ad these days shows drivers taking their hands off the steering wheel and letting their car "self-drive".

Questions:

Do other cars really have auto-steer features equal to Tesla? (level 2-3)

Why are they showing them with their hands off the wheel if they are supposed to keep them on the wheel?

What is it you don't understand about marketing/advertising?

• Funny
Reactions: EV-lutioin