Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So- about that AAA rate hike for Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good driving record here for myself and my wife, and we had to leave So. Cal. AAA last year after nearly 20 years because their quote for Model X 60D was through the roof at ~$3100/year. We are now using Wawanesa, which is much more reasonable. By the way, the $3100 quote was just for Model X by itself. We had 3 cars with them at the time (M3, i3, and Sienna), and the annual premium was still several hundreds less than 1 Model X. And that's with multi-policy discount as well!

anyone have any experience with Metromile insurance?

Yes, their rates were very low for me ($34/mo + 7.5c/mi), but I had some trouble with the "Pulse" device they use to track your mileage. It plugs into the OBDII port for power. I didn't have any problems with the original one I was given, but it stopped working and right after I installed the replacement, I started getting "Power Reduced - Car Needs Service" error messages. After replacing the accelerator pedal and rear drive unit without fixing it, the service center feels that it was caused by the Metromile device. I've been driving without it for about 3 weeks and the error hasn't come back, but it was pretty intermittent in the first place, so who knows. I've changed insurance companies. I could have changed to using a special cigarette lighter adapter they gave me, but I didn't want that cable hanging out of my 12v port all the time.

Progressive was by far cheaper for me. It's going vary not just by state though. Differently providers weight your zip code differently than others. My insurance is insanely high ($1190 for six months) despite having a perfect record and only insuring one car simply because of the zip code I'm in (I live in the North Hollywood area.)

AAA was more than double. As were most other companies.