Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So about that stereo...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Roadster, a 2010 2.5 with the Infotainment upgrade. I assume, from http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46638-Roadster-stereo-and-speaker-specs that means that it has http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kymOwHhoCd5/p_500INAW900/Alpine-INA-W900.html and http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/2008-current-roadster. Is that correct?

I have a few questions that I’m hoping experienced users might be able to help me out with:

• I couldn’t turn the volume up comfortably. When I put it even to 10 the mid-highs were so loud as to be painful, while the highs and mids were both almost nonexistent. Is this normal or is there some setting to fix this? The equalizer was mostly flat, with treble and bass set +2 or so.
  • There is supposedly a subwoofer, but even turning both the base and sub controls up (+5 to +10) I could hardly feel it. It’s right behind the driver seat so I assumed my whole spine would be vibrating. How can I tell if the sub is working?
  • When I connected my thumbdrive I had trouble navigating. The artist listing only had 15% of my artists along with 3-4 “unsupported” listings. When I tried to browse by folder it showed many of my subfolders, 3-4 “unsupported” listings, and none of my parent folders. As the parent folders are named for the band and the subfolders the album, this made it extremely difficult to find what I wanted. Is there a setting to browse folders normally?
  • If there’s no way to fix these problems, is there anything special I need to do or tell my installer when trying to do an upgrade? Or can I just take it to the local audio shop that hasn’t worked with electric cars and continue as if it were an ICE car

If anyone has equalizer settings that they'd like to share that may be helpful too. :)

Thanks,

Nicholas

My 2.5 has the Alpine IVA-NAV-10, which is essentially the W-900.

The sub is there but, it's not spine-rattling. And the system gets pretty harsh when you try to crank it.

I run my EQ basically flat, except for +4 on the bass...and I usually run the fader one notch to the rear (otherwise I don't really hear the rear speakers at all).

It is...overall...a very unimpressive stereo system (but that wasn't why I bought the car in the first place).

I'm not an audiophile, but I hated the stock system. Here's what i've had installed and love it.

4in Infinity Reference Speakers: Amazon.com : Infinity REF-4002CFX 4-Inch 2-Way Speaker (Pair) : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Infinity Kappa Tweeters: Amazon.com : Infinity Kappa 10.9t : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
Pioneer AppRadio 4: Amazon.com: Pioneer AppRadio 4 SPH-DA120 6-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen Display Smartphone Receiver: Car Electronics
Kenwood Sub: Amazon.com: Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer: Car Electronics
Kenwood Amp: Amazon.com : Kenwood KAC-M1804 Compact 4-channel Amplifier : Electronics

There are connections in the door for installing tweeters, just need to have the door panel cut. The amp was installed in the passenger side behind the door sill and the sub fits perfectly at the back of the passenger foot well.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it. :)

Congrats on the finding a roadster! Pics?

Heh, I don't have many yet as I'm still waiting for it to be shipped up to PA. But here's one I got with my phone when I first picked it up:
!cid_mms_img880412648.jpg

It's perfect! :)

I'm not an audiophile, but I hated the stock system. Here's what i've had installed and love it.
Thanks so much for the list!

I'd be a little concerned about cutting anything or taking up footwell space, though I know my options are limited. Would you happen to be able to share some pictures of each of the speakers so I could see how it all looks?

What did you do with the existing sub behind the driver seat? Just use that in concert with the new one? Or did you replace it as well?

How much base do you actually get out of it? My last car with a good system had a 500w 10" aluminum sub in the trunk and I got used to that. Will the Kenwood be anywhere close? Does your spine rattle at all? :)

I'd be a little concerned about cutting anything or taking up footwell space, though I know my options are limited. Would you happen to be able to share some pictures of each of the speakers so I could see how it all looks?

I'll try to take photos later, but it's only about 4inches and my girlfriend is 5'5" so it's not a problem.

What did you do with the existing sub behind the driver seat? Just use that in concert with the new one? Or did you replace it as well?

I did not have a sub, that was only included if you purchased the premium sound upgrade.

How much base do you actually get out of it? My last car with a good system had a 500w 10" aluminum sub in the trunk and I got used to that. Will the Kenwood be anywhere close? Does your spine rattle at all? :)

Nothing rattles from it, so it's probably not that powerful but I can at least "feel" my music now whereas before it was super flat.