Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So all model S are 100D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla launches new cheaper Model S and Model X with software-limited battery pack

What Tesla now calls ‘Model S and Model X’ are the base version of the electric sedan and the SUV equipped with a software locked 100 kWh pack. Tesla is not sharing the capacity at which the battery pack is locked, but it is sharing the range, which is much higher than the recently discontinued 75 kWh versions:

• Model S
      • Price: $85,000
      • Range: 310-miles
      • 0-60mph: 4.1 sec.
    • Model X
      • Price: $88,000
      • Range: 270-miles
      • 0-60mph: 4.7 sec.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
This whole change is weird. The 75 was a great price point, and good range. Killing that and then doing this nonsensical $8K for 25 miles range is just stupid. I always thought Tesla's "Product Managers" (if they had any) were marginal, this takes it to a new level.

Are you sure you're actually understanding what they just did? Obviously no one will pay the extra $8k for the extra range. Over time they will lower that amount or remove entirely and have all standard range cars have the 335 mile full range. In essence they've given the 100D a $9k discount immediately after giving it a $2k discount a couple weeks ago. The costs of the batteries have dropped and manufacturing has become more efficient but Tesla kept the price up because of the tax credit support and lack of competition. Now that they have created their own competition and expect more from other manufacturers and the tax credit halved, they are dropping the price. But if they just dropped it $11k, everyone that recently ordered would be crying foul. This way no one feels particularly enraged by the price drop.

it looks like as predicted all Model S and X are now going to be 100D with the actual 100D being the Extended Range and the Standard range being a software locked battery.

At least every one will get faster supercharging...

Is there a chart that one could compare supercharging speed between the 75d and 100s version? Or also the old p85d or p90d battery pack? Everyone pretty much agree that the 100D supercharging speed is higher, I’m just curious to see the data

Reactions: jbcarioca
Incoming larger battery, or perhaps a full chassis refresh. It's been expected for a long time, and the simple update would be a 2170 battery in the S as it is now but the smarter update would be a completely new car built around a non quickswap Model 3 type module format.

My worthless guess is a March reveal at the Y event. They've eliminated a lot of S options and might be buying fewer old chassis parts, plus they're reducing S/X production now - probably to re-tool for a completely new car. It seems to all be coming together in favor of a reveal very soon.
Per this article they have no team in place yet for a refresh:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-slashed-model-x-staff-173900626.html

"...But Tesla has long debated whether or not it should "sunset" either the Model S or X, or move production of these vehicles out of the crowded Fremont factory, this person added, noting there is no "upgrade" team in place to refresh either the S or X yet."

Damn, I am bummed I bought the 75D in Sep... if I had held out for a bit more I could have gotten 400V and a lot higher charging speed + possible V3 capabilities. DOH.

Don’t be bummed. That car is just as perfect now as when you ordered it. The fact they’ve now changed the available configurations makes no difference to the car you bought. And would you have spent the extra money? You could have spent extra money in September, the 75D was a better deal. That better deal is gone now. I think you made the smart choice.

I feel like with all these recent announcements I'm at a loss of what to actually do next. I've been eyeing up a CPO Model S P85D and P90D in the range of $55k-70k. Then stumbled on the different versions of the P90D battery and how some don't meet the advertised specs. Not sure how to guarantee I get a v3 battery from CPO either, and can't really afford the P100D yet. Any thoughts/recommends from you guys? Really trying to not get a car that's obsolete in a few months :(

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
I'm guessing Tesla wants to accomplish two things :
1) 300 miles to be the floor for Model S range
2) Get market used to standard/extended range designations

Software limiting the 100kWh pack is probably the cheapest way to do this in the short term. I expect them to announce an extended range version with more range, possibly new cells, in the near future.

What this probably means is that Tesla is close to introducing new battery packs with the same 2170 batteries used in the Model 3 - and that the new battery pack capacity might not be exactly 100 KWh.

It's likely the new battery packs will be needed to take advantage of V3 supercharging, so Tesla may have the new battery packs in production for S/X by the time they're ready to introduce V3 supercharging.

This change is essentially a price decrease on S/X, since a software limited battery pack can be charged to around 100% regularly without risking damage to the pack, while the extended range battery packs will usually be charged to 90%. What this means is the extra $8K for the extended range would likely be used only a small number of times, and only after overnight charging when starting a long drive. Because of slow supercharging times, charging above 90% isn't practical, except for overnight charging.

If we were ordering a replacement for our S 100D or X 100D, it would be tempting to go to the standard model, and save the $8K and in the few times when we've charged above 100% before taking a road trip, we'd trade the earlier supercharging stop for the $8K in savings.

Reactions: gilscales
I feel like with all these recent announcements I'm at a loss of what to actually do next. I've been eyeing up a CPO Model S P85D and P90D in the range of $55k-70k. Then stumbled on the different versions of the P90D battery and how some don't meet the advertised specs. Not sure how to guarantee I get a v3 battery from CPO either, and can't really afford the P100D yet. Any thoughts/recommends from you guys? Really trying to not get a car that's obsolete in a few months :(

Dont worry about keeping up with Tesla's changes go with what your pocket allows. No matter what you buy from them Used or New from Tesla you are walking out the door with the same warranty. If you are looking at a P90D than don't hesitate. And don't get discouraged from the P90D specs. If its warrantied than it will perform as expected. Also dont get hung up on AP1 and AP2 they are pretty much the same. If they introduce AP3 then that might be a different story.

Any thoughts/recommends from you guys? Really trying to not get a car that's obsolete in a few months :(

The primary thing to remember is: "there are better options available now" is NOT AT ALL the same as "my car is obsolete". Buy what you can comfortably afford, love it and enjoy it for as long as you can. If I couldn't afford my 100D Model X, I'd still be thrilled to drive my prior 2013 P85 Model S (early enough not to have folding mirrors or parking sensors, for example) over any ICE. Just don't overthink it, and don't fall prey to the consumerist "must have the latest and best to be happy" mindset.