TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

So all model S are 100D now

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Asterix187, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

That's the only way to do a software limit, and the way Tesla has done it in the past. Any solution that didn't use some cells would require a hardware change - and in that case, just leaving a couple modules out accomplishes the same goals in a lighter car that's cheaper to produce.

If Electrek's source is slightly confused, that's still entirely possible - the ranges for the new cars are right in line with what fourteen 100 modules would give from past experience, and it's not like having two battery SKUs is that much extra logistics to carry...

I guess we'll see what happens when one of the new cars supercharges to the top.

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

It also costs very little to put in the extra modules. If you assume $120 per kw/h, then the extra 12.5 kwh would be $1500. But that's offset, maybe completely, by a few other things:

- some people buy the software upgrade at current, highly inflated, pricing.
    - Tesla will eventually drop the price of the upgrade to something more reasonable (maybe $2K), and more/most people will buy.
    - there is some minimal cost savings to reduction in inventory/production costs associate with the second battery SKU.

As with prior software limits, this is a temporary thing. I'm betting that this mostly is related to Supercharger V3, and clearing factory space for manufacturing a new, larger, battery.

3. ChadFeldheimer

On the other hand, if there is a steady supply of slightly out of spec modules or packs, Tesla could sell those in the new standard range Model S. This could be cheaper than reworking or scrapping the modules/packs that don’t pass muster.

This is total speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see if the battery can be unlocked after delivery.

But it seems a little odd that no post-delivery upgrade price is given on the order page.

• Informative x 1
  4. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Many people confirmed this, including myself. When I purchased my range upgrade, I first charged my “60” to 100%, then initiated the upgrade as soon as it finished. Immediately upon reboot, the car became a “75” and the state of charge dropped to ~85%

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

It's funny you still get the over charge nag even though in reality you're not over charging. I think they also handicapped the charge rate when Supercharging. When I first got my car it would charge to full, incredibly fast. Now I've noticed they slow it down substantially after 80% or so.

• Informative x 1
  6. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

That is probably due to your battery aging. With the change in battery chemistry around the same time when they release the 90D, all new batteries have supercharging slow down due to high supercharging count.

It makes 0 sense for tesla to keep you longer at the supercharging station more than necessary. They want you in and out ASAP without killing your battery.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. heinzcatsoup

heinzcatsoup Member

you're thinking about this from a car nerd's point of view. my parents (average consumers) cant tell that a refreshed camry is refreshed other than a new one will probably have a shinier coat of paint out of the factory.

8. whitex

whitex Active Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2018.50.6

• Funny x 3
  10. whitex

whitex Active Member

If true, then those who say they are holding off buying Model S or X until they move to 2170 are holding off purely so that Tesla can make more money from their cars. Sounds like they need a new bumper sticker - "I will not buy a new Model S until Tesla profit margin goes up?"

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

I went to the Tesla store yesterday. Although the sales folk aren't necessarily the most informed, they did mention all the S100s in stock - already here - are being configured and sold as per the new naming scheme. That would strongly suggest that in fact the new Model S standard and long range are unchanged except for the name and the software limitations, as compared to the old S100D.

I was hoping/expecting that one of the 2 motors would be switched reluctance. But not.

On a different note, anyone know if the LED headlights currently available in the Model S are changed/improved from those in 2017? Any other hardware changes in the past 6 months?

12. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

Does anyone know what do the badges say on the back now that the sizing is gone?

• Helpful x 1
  13. Eriamjh1138

Eriamjh1138 Member

If model S and Model X themselves are not profitable to produce, tesla would save money by discontinuing them. No 2170 pack redesign is in their current future per Elon.

We know that’s not happening any time soon. So that means they are profitable now on BOM/gross margin because investment was made (their design and tooling).

What’s left is called “breaking even based on sales”. I think the S/X SR software limited vehicles are low/no margin vehicles. Up selling from there is just a higher margin. Speed and luxury is profitable gravy.

14. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

#154 CSFTN, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Did someone (other than a short) recently suggest the Model S/X aren't profitable? I haven't seen a claim, except SA etc, which aren't worth the electrons it takes to display on my LED screen.

It's just that very soon sales of Model 3 vs S+X will approximate 4:1, if that hasn't already occurred. And in 2 years it will be 6:1 and the Model Y - if its available, will be >10:1

My 2 cents worth, WAG: the 2170 is inferior to the 18650 except in its cost/watt-hr and watt-hr/kg. Both of which are extremely important for mass production, not so much for smaller quantities of top of the line. 2170 is the future, but there's no real rush to put it in the S/X.

• Informative x 1
  15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The best upgrade for a Model S with LED headlights is to convert back to HID... :cool:

2017 Tesla Model S

upload_2019-2-11_19-25-35.png

16. Interferon

Interferon Member

I suspect that the 2170 was really created at the behest of Panasonic so that Tesla-made batteries wouldn't end up competing with their other device markets. Since they are incompatible with laptop batteries, etc.

17. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

Has anyone taken delivery of the "new" configuration yet? Wondering what the rear badging looks like now.