Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So all model S are 100D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess those people are assuming Tesla improved the cell chemistry and capabilities for the 2170 during the 6 years since the Model S first rolled out... Perhaps those people are right.

I guess you are assuming Tesla didn't improve the cell chemistry and capabilities for the 18mmX65mm size batteries during the 6 years since the Model S first rolled out. . . . Perhaps you are wrong.

I agree. The biggest difference between the new and old battery packs is cost. AFAIK there is no performance or longevity improvement.
Actually, we don't have longevity data for 2170 since they only came about with the Model 3. We know the 75/85/100's are holding up well in the wild. 2170 only time will tell. 2170 is the "cost optimized battery option" so there may be some cost optimizations in there which nobody knows how they'll fare over years of usage. Maybe Model 3's higher than advertised achieved specs like acceleration are due to the fact that Tesla knows from development days that those specs drop over time. If they promised you 3.3s 0-60, you clocked it at 3.1s new, you can't sue them if you only get 3.3s in 2 years.

3 years of free charging on the EA network is not insignificant, even if it's "only" ~150kw in most places.

It’ll be very easy for Tesla to offer free supercharging for three yrs or whatever when the Taycan comes out. I have FUSC for my 2018 S P100D because they were offering the incentive during the 2018 third quarter. It’s what made us purchase the car on September 15, 2018 (the last day of the offer) instead of waiting.

We considered waiting for the Taycan but wasn’t impressed especially bc the charging network doesn’t exist yet and it is the same as a P3 performance wise. I liked the Panamera Turbo S but it’s slower and a lot more expensive than the S P100D.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
From the Tesla 4Q18 update to shareholders... :cool:

We recently stopped taking orders for the 75 kWh versions of Model S and Model X and will focus on the longer-range versions of these flagship products instead, with the recent introduction of a 310 mile range base Model S and 270 mile range base Model X. Over the years, we have been gradually simplifying options for Model S and Model X by standardizing options such as the air suspension, AWD, premium package, and glass roof.

This is yet another step towards increased standardization, which results in significantly lower manufacturing cost.
Additionally, we believe this will provide more differentiation between Model S and Model 3.

So sad that the pano roof was discontinued :(

Ahem. Battery chemisry, radically better charging speed. V3 ready. Right now Model 3 has faster charging speed with a smaller battery than the flagship.
Where exactly can we see that faster charging in action? Or is it just Elon's tweets and/or TMC rumors? Are Model 3's ready for faster charging like AP2 was ready to drive my kids to school all by itself while generating revenue using Tesla Ride Share Program while waiting for the kids to finish school? Or is this some spec Tesla released, like 691hp P85D?

Where exactly can we see that faster charging in action? Or is it just Elon's tweets and/or TMC rumors? Are Model 3's ready for faster charging like AP2 was ready to drive my kids to school all by itself while generating revenue using Tesla Ride Share Program while waiting for the kids to finish school? Or is this some spec Tesla released, like 691hp P85D?

Model 3 does 118kW on a smaller pack, go figure. The charging rate on that battery size far outcompetes the older battery.

I'm still wondering if there's a mistake in Electrek's information.

The announced reaches for the new models are right in line with what would be expected for a fourteen module car using 100 pack modules, and I have trouble believing the logistic complexity of keeping 14 and 16 module packs will cost Tesla more than the $8k per car they'll be losing by software limiting.

Model 3 does 118kW on a smaller pack, go figure. The charging rate on that battery size far outcompetes the older battery.
Far outperforms? Huh? Below is my P85D (really old battery) supercharing. So those holding off buying a Model S are waiting to buy to get 2KW more (maybe not even that, I think I remember by car charging above 116KW before)? If you tell me they are waiting for V3 superchargers, why not wait until V4 superchargers, or V5, V10? There will always be something better coming at some point in the future. So I guess, those people will never buy, until they know the company is going to die and there will be nothing new I guess, then their excuse will be "company is dead".

P85Dsupercharging.jpg

Far outperforms? Huh? Below is my P85D (really old battery) supercharing. So those holding off buying a Model S are waiting to buy to get 2KW more (maybe not even that, I think I remember by car charging above 116KW before)? If you tell me they are waiting for V3 superchargers, why not wait until V4 superchargers, or V5, V10? There will always be something better coming at some point in the future. So I guess, those people will never buy, until they know the company is going to die and there will be nothing new I guess, then their excuse will be "company is dead".

Note: Model 3 has a smaller battery pack too, you must take that into account. More accurate to compare the 75 pack actually, and there the diff is even bigger.

Note: Model 3 has a smaller battery pack too, you must take that into account. More accurate to compare the 75 pack actually, and there the diff is even bigger.
S75 has an actual 75KWh battery. P85D has a 81KWh battery, so only slightly bigger. What's the size and voltage of Model 3 battery you are talking about?

All that said, anyone saying they are waiting for new batteries, all S have 100 batteries now, should do 118KW where the supercharger lets it, so no advantage if it had 2170's. As for V3, as I said, then there will be something better in some future. V3 was supposively ready to go last summer, still none around any areas I've seen, so will likely not be widely deployed for years. Lastly, most people use superchargers rarely, so no benefit to be had at all.

S75 has an actual 75KWh battery. P85D has a 81KWh battery, so only slightly bigger. What's the size and voltage of Model 3 battery you are talking about?

Mid-range. 62 kWh. Can do 118kW.

All that said, anyone saying they are waiting for new batteries, all S have 100 batteries now, should do 118KW where the supercharger lets it, so no advantage if it had 2170's. As for V3, as I said, then there will be something better in some future. V3 was supposively ready to go last summer, still none around any areas I've seen, so will likely not be widely deployed for years. Lastly, most people use superchargers rarely, so no benefit to be had at all.

They will come soon, and there will be a brief period where a Model 3 MR have equal charging rate to a 100D. Then The differences will increase, especially with a Model 3 LR vs a S75D, and even a 100D.

They will come soon, and there will be a brief period where a Model 3 MR have equal charging rate to a 100D. Then The differences will increase, especially with a Model 3 LR vs a S75D, and even a 100D.
"Elon soon"? Since the Elon announced Summer 2018 unveil, none have been deployed AFAIK (heck, I don't even thing unveil was public). It goes on pile with AP2.0 FSD driving for Tesla Ride Sharing network - it's coming soon, sooner than anyone things, 3 months maybe - 6 months for sure, etc. etc.

Elon will always have some dream. If you're going to hold off buying until all of his dreams are out, you'll have to wait for him to die.

"Elon soon"? Since the Elon announced Summer 2018 unveil, none have been deployed AFAIK (heck, I don't even thing unveil was public). It goes on pile with AP2.0 FSD driving for Tesla Ride Sharing network - it's coming soon, sooner than anyone things, 3 months maybe - 6 months for sure, etc. etc.

Elon will always have some dream. If you're going to hold off buying until all of his dreams are out, you'll have to wait for him to die.

Yeah :) Maybe it comes next millenium

I don't really want it to differ personally, it would be very sad to see Model 3 have better charging perf than S/X, I am just scared of it. Maybe it was the 350V vs 400V that makes all the difference, and that 2170 batteries perform the same as the 100D ones. But I doubt it since it's a different battery chemistry.

Yeah :) Maybe it comes next millenium

I don't really want it to differ personally, it would be very sad to see Model 3 have better charging perf than S/X, I am just scared of it. Maybe it was the 350V vs 400V that makes all the difference, and that 2170 batteries perform the same as the 100D ones. But I doubt it since it's a different battery chemistry.
Even if the S and 3 charged at the same power, the 3 would still beat the S in miles of range per minute, due to greater efficiency. Does that faster charging really matter? To whom?

Even if the S and 3 charged at the same power, the 3 would still beat the S in miles of range per minute, due to greater efficiency. Does that faster charging really matter? To whom?

Taking that into account it will further widen the gap, which is even more alarming. So much for the flagships, eh?

Other companies have done the same thing like Eventide. Eventide made an insane effects unit which was stale for years, while they started to make effect pedals which were better in many respects and more user friendly, while their flagship was nearly abandoned. Now they have a new one though (H9000) but it's more simplified.