Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So all model S are 100D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we’ll see the refreshed MS125 with 21700 batteries or the Model Y and/or Semi very soon. I don’t think that they want to open up the lower cost SR M3 just yet. To improve financials, they’re probably pushing lessons learned from the M3 into a new MS and soon afterwards the MY.

I have heard they are "Unveiling 2 new vehicles this quarter." 2 NEW vehicles!!

This is both what makes Tesla great and terrible. I love my car, but hate random unannounced changes to tech and price. As a "car guy" I love unveilings, but not without warnings. I would love a predictable upgrade pathway. I assume they are going to unveil the Model Y, but what is the second car? The standard range Model 3?? I doubt it, more likely a new S or the Semi? 2 months ago I almost bought a car just for the tax credit, but I would be mad if a new S came out 2 months later. I am going to continue to wait until there is a meaningful upgrade or newer competitors. 2012-2019 is a long time without big refresh. Come on Tesla, give us blind spot, HUD, top-view cameras, apple play or a better Tesla version... :D:D

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and Inside

This is both what makes Tesla great and terrible. I love my car, but hate random unannounced changes to tech and price. As a "car guy" I love unveilings, but not without warnings. I would love a predictable upgrade pathway. I assume they are going to unveil the Model Y, but what is the second car? The standard range Model 3?? I doubt it, more likely a new S or the Semi? 2 months ago I almost bought a car just for the tax credit, but I would be mad if a new S came out 2 months later. I am going to continue to wait until there is a meaningful upgrade or newer competitors. 2012-2019 is a long time without big refresh. Come on Tesla, give us blind spot, HUD, top-view cameras, apple play or a better Tesla version... :D:D
I think the S will be interior refresh, MCU, HVAC, pockets, seats, etc. based on the call yesterday doesn't seem like they are doing much else with it.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I love how much arguing there is over charge rate when that 110+kW lasts for what maybe a few minutes at most and then they all drop to almost the same regardless of battery. ;) Literally a couple of minutes difference WHEN you are supercharging. Aren't most of you charging at home while you are asleep and that couple of minutes only matters on the occasional trip?

Last edited:

Look at it from the other side of the table, though:

Predictable upgrade intervals means unbalanced factory loading and demand/revenue cycles to match. Everyone will want the new car right after it comes out, and no one will want to buy one the last month before the next cycle, so they either have to discount them deeply or accept not selling that month.

Communicating about the next car early gives the competition more time to counter it, decreases sales of the current car (Osbourne effect,) and decreases the intensity of the media circus (less free advertising.)

Reactions: bhzmark
I have heard they are "Unveiling 2 new vehicles this quarter." 2 NEW vehicles!
The Model Y unveiling is expected in a few months; it might be in March, or it might be a bit later. On the Q4 2019 earnings call yesterday, Elon said that the Model Y design was completed and orders were out for tooling production.

He also said the Tesla Pickup unveiling might be during the summer sometime. I heard no indication that it would be “this quarter”.

The Model Y unveiling is expected in a few months; it might be in March, or it might be a bit later. On the Q4 2019 earnings call yesterday, Elon said that the Model Y design was completed and orders were out for tooling production.

He also said the Tesla Pickup unveiling might be during the summer sometime. I heard no indication that it would be “this quarter”.
I wonder if we'll get another 2-for-1 like at the semi event.

No it doesn’t. They both max out the current supercharging hardware at ~120kw.

The current hardware can do more, and I suspect the model 2160 has more of a software limit than the 18650 has. This is just speculation, of course. How can the 62 kWh 2170 pack do 118 kWh, while the 100kWh 18650 pack can do 116, and the 75kWh 18650 pack can do 96?
Is it purely battery voltage and software limitations, or can it be battery chemistry as well? I think the latter in 2170 vs 18650.

The current hardware can do more, and I suspect the model 2160 has more of a software limit than the 18650 has. This is just speculation, of course. How can the 62 kWh 2170 pack do 118 kWh, while the 100kWh 18650 pack can do 116, and the 75kWh 18650 pack can do 96?
Is it purely battery voltage and software limitations, or can it be battery chemistry as well? I think the latter in 2170 vs 18650.

The 70kwh pack from 3 years ago could also hit the max a supercharger can provide (although it tapered much more quickly).

There is obviously room for faster charge speed in the current 100kwh pack. Look at the charging taper. It’s actually better than the M3, which drops
off peak rates sooner.

More headroom in the 2170? Maybe. Enough to matter in the real world? I doubt it.

If 2170 cells are required for Supercharger 3.0 speeds, it would be quite bizarre to have the flagship vehicle limited in charging speed but I guess they can always software limit the Model 3 charging to match the maximum that can be supported by the Model S for now.

I don't think 2170 cells are required for SCv3. 100D can currently max out SCv2 all the way up to 60% state of charge. There is clearly room for significant improvement in charging speeds in the lower half of the 100 kWh pack.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Where exactly can we see that faster charging in action? Or is it just Elon's tweets and/or TMC rumors? Are Model 3's ready for faster charging like AP2 was ready to drive my kids to school all by itself while generating revenue using Tesla Ride Share Program while waiting for the kids to finish school? Or is this some spec Tesla released, like 691hp P85D?

I love how much arguing there is over charge rate when that 110+kW lasts for what maybe a few minutes at most and then they all drop to almost the same regardless of battery. ;) Literally a couple of minutes difference WHEN you are supercharging. Aren't most of you charging at home while you are asleep and that couple of minutes only matters on the occasional trip?

Plenty of Tesla's can sustain 110kW+ peak power for 15+ minutes. See ~800 Tesla's from A Better Route Planner.

Model 3 LR (BT37 battery) -- peak power for ~17 minutes
BT37.png.e2949f5be5f98126fb32b38c6d234588.png

S/X 100Ds and P100Ds (BTX6 battery) -- peak power for ~22 minutes

BTX6.png.a1a58a392f257546bebd1eb0015ca17b.png

But, not so on the older 85kWh packs, which is only ~7 minutes of peak power.

BT85.png.d392a8510126cad356ec03d76d357015.png

Plenty of Tesla's can sustain 110kW+ peak power for 15+ minutes. See ~800 Tesla's from A Better Route Planner.

Model 3 LR (BT37 battery) -- peak power for ~17 minutes
BT37.png.e2949f5be5f98126fb32b38c6d234588.png

S/X 100Ds and P100Ds (BTX6 battery) -- peak power for ~22 minutes

BTX6.png.a1a58a392f257546bebd1eb0015ca17b.png

But, not so on the older 85kWh packs, which is only ~7 minutes of peak power.

BT85.png.d392a8510126cad356ec03d76d357015.png
That’s why I said “for a few minutes” \i/

Yeah, but you are the guy who stops for 15/20 minutes to SC as needed.

I actually tried this on our last road trip and cannot manage to leave Sheetz in less than 30. Obviously it is a dawdle problem not a SC problem. Sad :(. I have a sheetz card now.

Yeah. It's hard to get out in under 20 minutes, especially with a dog. I'm considering getting a Sheetz card. I usually get coffee and a snack when I'm in there.