Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So all model S are 100D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To confirm, are you saying that there's a source confirming what I asked? SW limit means - all cells are used, but each cell is charged to less than 100%?

For MX, the sw range unlock from 60 to 75 is still $4,500.

That's the only way to do a software limit, and the way Tesla has done it in the past. Any solution that didn't use some cells would require a hardware change - and in that case, just leaving a couple modules out accomplishes the same goals in a lighter car that's cheaper to produce.

If Electrek's source is slightly confused, that's still entirely possible - the ranges for the new cars are right in line with what fourteen 100 modules would give from past experience, and it's not like having two battery SKUs is that much extra logistics to carry...

I guess we'll see what happens when one of the new cars supercharges to the top.

That's the only way to do a software limit, and the way Tesla has done it in the past. Any solution that didn't use some cells would require a hardware change - and in that case, just leaving a couple modules out accomplishes the same goals in a lighter car that's cheaper to produce.

If Electrek's source is slightly confused, that's still entirely possible - the ranges for the new cars are right in line with what fourteen 100 modules would give from past experience, and it's not like having two battery SKUs is that much extra logistics to carry...

I guess we'll see what happens when one of the new cars supercharges to the top.

It also costs very little to put in the extra modules. If you assume $120 per kw/h, then the extra 12.5 kwh would be $1500. But that's offset, maybe completely, by a few other things:

- some people buy the software upgrade at current, highly inflated, pricing.
- Tesla will eventually drop the price of the upgrade to something more reasonable (maybe $2K), and more/most people will buy.
- there is some minimal cost savings to reduction in inventory/production costs associate with the second battery SKU.

As with prior software limits, this is a temporary thing. I'm betting that this mostly is related to Supercharger V3, and clearing factory space for manufacturing a new, larger, battery.

On the other hand, if there is a steady supply of slightly out of spec modules or packs, Tesla could sell those in the new standard range Model S. This could be cheaper than reworking or scrapping the modules/packs that don’t pass muster.

This is total speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see if the battery can be unlocked after delivery.

But it seems a little odd that no post-delivery upgrade price is given on the order page.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
To confirm, are you saying that there's a source confirming what I asked? SW limit means - all cells are used, but each cell is charged to less than 100%?

For MX, the sw range unlock from 60 to 75 is still $4,500.

Many people confirmed this, including myself. When I purchased my range upgrade, I first charged my “60” to 100%, then initiated the upgrade as soon as it finished. Immediately upon reboot, the car became a “75” and the state of charge dropped to ~85%

Many people confirmed this, including myself. When I purchased my range upgrade, I first charged my “60” to 100%, then initiated the upgrade as soon as it finished. Immediately upon reboot, the car became a “75” and the state of charge dropped to ~85%
It's funny you still get the over charge nag even though in reality you're not over charging. I think they also handicapped the charge rate when Supercharging. When I first got my car it would charge to full, incredibly fast. Now I've noticed they slow it down substantially after 80% or so.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
It's funny you still get the over charge nag even though in reality you're not over charging. I think they also handicapped the charge rate when Supercharging. When I first got my car it would charge to full, incredibly fast. Now I've noticed they slow it down substantially after 80% or so.

That is probably due to your battery aging. With the change in battery chemistry around the same time when they release the 90D, all new batteries have supercharging slow down due to high supercharging count.

It makes 0 sense for tesla to keep you longer at the supercharging station more than necessary. They want you in and out ASAP without killing your battery.

The longer they don't refresh the S and X, the longer they look new. Look at all the other companies. Every time a new version comes out, the previous model looks OLD.

you're thinking about this from a car nerd's point of view. my parents (average consumers) cant tell that a refreshed camry is refreshed other than a new one will probably have a shinier coat of paint out of the factory.

Ahem. Battery chemisry, radically better charging speed. V3 ready. Right now Model 3 has faster charging speed with a smaller battery than the flagship.
Ok, how about we look at some quantitative data, rather than just random musings of random people:
Tesla Model 3 2170 Energy Density Compared To Bolt, Model S P100D - Tesla Motors Club

How exactly is the 2170 cell better again?
Tesla 2170 vs 18650.jpg

I went to the Tesla store yesterday. Although the sales folk aren't necessarily the most informed, they did mention all the S100s in stock - already here - are being configured and sold as per the new naming scheme. That would strongly suggest that in fact the new Model S standard and long range are unchanged except for the name and the software limitations, as compared to the old S100D.

I was hoping/expecting that one of the 2 motors would be switched reluctance. But not.

On a different note, anyone know if the LED headlights currently available in the Model S are changed/improved from those in 2017? Any other hardware changes in the past 6 months?

If model S and Model X themselves are not profitable to produce, tesla would save money by discontinuing them. No 2170 pack redesign is in their current future per Elon.

We know that’s not happening any time soon. So that means they are profitable now on BOM/gross margin because investment was made (their design and tooling).

What’s left is called “breaking even based on sales”. I think the S/X SR software limited vehicles are low/no margin vehicles. Up selling from there is just a higher margin. Speed and luxury is profitable gravy.

Did someone (other than a short) recently suggest the Model S/X aren't profitable? I haven't seen a claim, except SA etc, which aren't worth the electrons it takes to display on my LED screen.

It's just that very soon sales of Model 3 vs S+X will approximate 4:1, if that hasn't already occurred. And in 2 years it will be 6:1 and the Model Y - if its available, will be >10:1

My 2 cents worth, WAG: the 2170 is inferior to the 18650 except in its cost/watt-hr and watt-hr/kg. Both of which are extremely important for mass production, not so much for smaller quantities of top of the line. 2170 is the future, but there's no real rush to put it in the S/X.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I went to the Tesla store yesterday. Although the sales folk aren't necessarily the most informed, they did mention all the S100s in stock - already here - are being configured and sold as per the new naming scheme. That would strongly suggest that in fact the new Model S standard and long range are unchanged except for the name and the software limitations, as compared to the old S100D.I was hoping/expecting that one of the 2 motors would be switched reluctance. But not.

On a different note, anyone know if the LED headlights currently available in the Model S are changed/improved from those in 2017? Any other hardware changes in the past 6 months?

The best upgrade for a Model S with LED headlights is to convert back to HID... :cool:

2017 Tesla Model S

upload_2019-2-11_19-25-35.png

Reactions: ikjadoon
Ok, how about we look at some quantitative data, rather than just random musings of random people:
Tesla Model 3 2170 Energy Density Compared To Bolt, Model S P100D - Tesla Motors Club

How exactly is the 2170 cell better again?
View attachment 375753

I suspect that the 2170 was really created at the behest of Panasonic so that Tesla-made batteries wouldn't end up competing with their other device markets. Since they are incompatible with laptop batteries, etc.

Reactions: sillydriver