Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So apparently this is a bad time to have a parking brake fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
My 2015 model S was not subject to the parking brake recall, however a few times over the past few weeks after I put the car in park I saw a message in the instrument cluster that said that the parking brake was not engaged and the vehicle may be free rolling. If I put it in gear and then back into park it would go away.

I dropped my car off at the service center yesterday morning for that issue and a few other things. They told me that they expected to be finished by the afternoon. Unfortunately when I talked to them later I discovered that they needed to replace the parking brake and because of the recall they were having trouble locating one. At one point they said they hoped they would be able to get the car back to me by the end of the week :eek:

The good news is that I got another call earlier today letting me know that they found a parking brake and were already installing it. I picked up the car this afternoon and the service advisor said that he thinks I got the last available parking brake in the country... apparently they spent a decent amount of time trying to find it. I'm not sure if that's really true or not, but it definitely seemed like a hard part to come by right now.

According to the paperwork the part they replaced was "PARKING BRAKE CALIPER ASSY LH (1021252-50-D)". He said in so many words that the reason it was so difficult to find was the recall, so it sounds like it was the same part, otherwise I can't imagine why else it would be so hard to come by, but I don't know for sure. It's quite possible he was just using that as an excuse too.