Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Cal FasTrak Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally MetroExpress is communicating it's program better and posting on tollways. ZEV owners, if you haven't already, set the switch to 3 and participating freeways will not charge you. FYI, still need your HOV sticker.

If you cannot view HTML in your email, click here.

banner_metroexpresslanes_600x200.jpg

En español | 中文

Metro ExpressLanes is excited to announce upcoming changes to the ExpressLanes program.

FASTRAK SWITCHABLE TRANSPONDER IS NOW CALLED "FASTRAK FLEX"
Starting soon, Metro ExpressLanes will be rebranding the FasTrak switchable transponder to "FasTrak Flex." Roadway signage, the website and customer correspondence, will be changed to incorporate the new FasTrak Flex branding. The change is necessary to ensure customers from other FasTrak agencies within California are aware of the requirement for a switchable transponder to travel toll-free on the Metro ExpressLanes. Non-switchable FasTrak transponders from other agencies will be charged the posted toll regardless of the number of occupants.

If you are a current ExpressLanes customer with a switchable transponder, there is nothing you need to do. There will be subtle changes to the transponders, the ExpressLanes website, and customer correspondence, which will use "FasTrak Flex" when referring to the Metro ExpressLanes transponder or the need for this transponder type to travel toll-free on the ExpressLanes. Images of the new transponder logo and message signs are included below.

New FasTrak Flex Logo:

detail_expresslanes_150x131.jpg

New Message Signs:

detail_expresslanes__250x121.jpg

When traveling on the Metro ExpressLanes, make sure your switchable transponder (FasTrak Flex) is set to the proper position.

NEW TOLL-FREE NUMBER
Metro ExpressLanes is now offering a single toll-free number for all customers, within or outside the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Customers can now call the Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service Center directly at 1.877.812.0022to update account information, add a vehicle or license plate, or request a new transponder. Customers within Los Angeles, Orange, or Ventura counties can still call 511 and say "ExpressLanes" to be transferred to the ExpressLanes Customer Service Center.

CHANGES TO TOLL RATES
Effective October 1, 2016, the maximum toll rate will be increased from $1.50 per mile to $1.60 per mile. These changes are necessary to continue to manage congestion and provide a safe, reliable and predictable commute for customers of the ExpressLanes. There will be no change to the minimum toll rates of $0.35 per mile during peak hours and $0.10 per mile during the off-peak hours. Remember: you must have a FasTrak transponder in your vehicle to use the ExpressLanes.

WEBSITE UPDATE
The Metro ExpressLanes website metroexpresslanes.net is getting a new look! The new design will make it easier to navigate and manage your account.

AVOID VIOLATIONS
Need to update your credit card, add a new vehicle or license plate, or change your address? Visit metroexpresslanes.net to maintain your account. Remember: it is important to keep your account information current and your transponder mounted correctly to ensure accurate posting of tolls and to avoid toll violations.

Sincerely,

Metro ExpressLanes Customer Service

FWIW, same Flex transponder and system in NoCA--just leave it on 3 (...and of course have your white HOV stickers applied).

Good to see some consistency across the state! I think that leaves The Toll Roads of Orange County the last of the old transponders. Now if we all could ditch the transponders and have some cool CA EV plates instead.......:rolleyes:

Now to CA... is there anything special I need to do to request that transponder? just setup an account and it just said "internal transponder". I know in TX the TollTags we had were iffy for the inside of the windshield

Any special location tips or tricks?
Call 877 812 0022 on Monday and request a transponder but also tell them you drive a Tesla and need to be placed on the manual list that matches/charges by your plate, not transponder. They know transponders don't work effectively with Teslas and set you up on some list. My transponder is in the glovebox somewhere for proof if ever stopped, but its not recording my usage. My monthly statement displays all the road usage by date/time/plate number whereas my other car is tracked by date/time/transponder #. They've got it figured out somehow and I've had no problems regardless of HOV or toll jurisdiction across the state. Not tried golden gate yet.

Welcome to CA, you'll love it!

Call 877 812 0022 on Monday and request a transponder but also tell them you drive a Tesla and need to be placed on the manual list that matches/charges by your plate, not transponder. They know transponders don't work effectively with Teslas and set you up on some list. My transponder is in the glovebox somewhere for proof if ever stopped, but its not recording my usage. My monthly statement displays all the road usage by date/time/plate number whereas my other car is tracked by date/time/transponder #. They've got it figured out somehow and I've had no problems regardless of HOV or toll jurisdiction across the state. Not tried golden gate yet.

Welcome to CA, you'll love it!

So that works with the SoCA time of use HOV lanes?? No need for a switchable transponder? Not what we're told here in NoCA. Now have an internal FasTrak Flex transponder always switched to #3 (for qualifying EVs with white stickers). In my 2013 S85 I have the black area to the right of the inside rear view mirror--transponder works mounted in 'portrait' position (90 degree rotation). In my wife's 2015 S70D, the Flex does not work anywhere in the front windshield, so it's mounted at the bottom of the rear liftgate glass in the center. You don't see it in the inside rear view mirror due to the tall headrest in the center seat.

So that works with the SoCA time of use HOV lanes?? No need for a switchable transponder? Not what we're told here in NoCA. Now have an internal FasTrak Flex transponder always switched to #3 (for qualifying EVs with white stickers). In my 2013 S85 I have the black area to the right of the inside rear view mirror--transponder works mounted in 'portrait' position (90 degree rotation). In my wife's 2015 S70D, the Flex does not work anywhere in the front windshield, so it's mounted at the bottom of the rear liftgate glass in the center. You don't see it in the inside rear view mirror due to the tall headrest in the center seat.

Like a charm! I tried your wife's trick after you posted it earlier but it was inconsistent for me. Rather than risk having to appeal/argue misses, I called LA metro and they explained their solution. Its part of fastrak so I've got the entire state covered, and they trigger my car as a "3" in their system so I am clean in HOV and those tolls that give free lifts to EVs. I drive with my stickers so I'm clean to CHP as well. Everything else is tracked and charged against my account.

The only noticeable difference is it takes several days to a couple of weeks to post the toll charges to my account when driving in non LA jurisdictions. I've assumed its due to the manual match between toll authorities, but not sure. They post the entrance/exit date as well as the post date so its not been a problem to reconcile.

Like a charm! I tried your wife's trick after you posted it earlier but it was inconsistent for me. Rather than risk having to appeal/argue misses, I called LA metro and they explained their solution. Its part of fastrak so I've got the entire state covered, and they trigger my car as a "3" in their system so I am clean in HOV and those tolls that give free lifts to EVs. I drive with my stickers so I'm clean to CHP as well. Everything else is tracked and charged against my account.

The only noticeable difference is it takes several days to a couple of weeks to post the toll charges to my account when driving in non LA jurisdictions. I've assumed its due to the manual match between toll authorities, but not sure. They post the entrance/exit date as well as the post date so its not been a problem to reconcile.

Nice--I might just have to call the NoCA FasTrak folks about this....