Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Cal (SGV) Tint/PPF recommendations

rich91724

Sep 14, 2020
covina, ca
Hey guys just picked up MY on saturday and looking to do tint and possibly PPF. Any recommendations near the San Gabriel Valley and also what brand you went with. Also curious how many guys have tinted all the windows for UV protection vs just the front. Any major difference tinting all vs just the front? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Reactions: asenseoftri

DennyL

Sep 26, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hey guys just picked up MY on saturday and looking to do tint and possibly PPF. Any recommendations near the San Gabriel Valley and also what brand you went with. Also curious how many guys have tinted all the windows for UV protection vs just the front. Any major difference tinting all vs just the front? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I got mines done at Auto Armour in San Diego. I went with XPEL Prime Plus 70% windshield, 35% all around. It reduced the heat for me and not needing to blast my AC often.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Carbonfiber

Aug 2, 2020
Los Angeles
Just got my car done at G5 in Pasadena. Awesome service and work.

Got all windows tinted included glass roof. I would just take your car there and they can help you decide what’s best for your needs.

artnalex

May 31, 2020
Los Angeles
Got my Car done with XPel PPF (full car coverage) for $4,500 at Xtreme Edge Professional Detail in Garden Grove. They also covered my center console in matte black, included in price. I don’t know if they offer tinting services.

Dtran317

Sep 10, 2020
Ontario, CA
I'm gonna get mine done at protective film solution in Santa Ana. Xpel stealth ppf (turns your car matte finish) $4725. Toured their facility and process. I'm confident in their work.

Jsond

Sep 21, 2020
California
Hopefully picking up my car Thursday and going straight to g5 tint Alhambra Friday. Getting front windshield and all windows besides roof tinted. 3m crystalline. They also do ppf.

SD_Canuck

Sep 6, 2020
San Diego, CA
I got mines done at Auto Armour in San Diego. I went with XPEL Prime Plus 70% windshield, 35% all around. It reduced the heat for me and not needing to blast my AC often.

Are you happy with the work at Auto Armour? What was the price?

alexcue

Aug 5, 2020
Los Angeles
I used Pro-Tint on my last car (on Rosemead). There were other people there doing their M3's looked nice. As far as my MY when it comes in, I'll be taking it there.

artnalex

May 31, 2020
Los Angeles
Deciding to do your roof is more of a personal preference. For me, I wanted all windows to offer uv protection and heat reduction.

I think you are right. It is personal preference. I was thinking of tinting my roof, but then I took my car for a drive when it was 110 degrees here in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. I felt like the OEM tint on the window did a great job of reflecting the heat. Plus, you can also set the cabin temperature to 78 degrees, so that the car is comfortable when you step back into the car. I don’t notice any materially significant battery drain. Maybe 1-2%, only.

I think I talked myself out of it now.

Carbonfiber

Aug 2, 2020
Los Angeles
I think you are right. It is personal preference. I was thinking of tinting my roof, but then I took my car for a drive when it was 110 degrees here in Los Angeles a few weeks ago. I felt like the OEM tint on the window did a great job of reflecting the heat. Plus, you can also set the cabin temperature to 78 degrees, so that the car is comfortable when you step back into the car. I don’t notice any materially significant battery drain. Maybe 1-2%, only.

I think I talked myself out of it now.

I don’t think the oem glass has any tint. From my understanding it’s tempered glass. Either way it’s personal preference.

Also I don’t have facts to back this up and only had the tints for a week. The ceramic tints suppose to keep more of the heat out and keep your car cooler. Maybe the tints will prevent from pre-cooling the car and allows you to save that 1-2%?

artnalex

May 31, 2020
Los Angeles
I don’t think the oem glass has any tint. From my understanding it’s tempered glass. Either way it’s personal preference.

Also I don’t have facts to back this up and only had the tints for a week. The ceramic tints suppose to keep more of the heat out and keep your car cooler. Maybe the tints will prevent from pre-cooling the car and allows you to save that 1-2%?

I’ve read it comes with UV protection. As for tint...I don’t know, but mine seems to have some level of tint by just looking at it. Nevertheless, there’s enough there to sway me from paying hundreds of dollars more for more tint.

As for saving that extra 1-2% battery, I think I can do without having to worry about that. I charge once a week right now, as I am working from home every day. Even if I go back to the office in 2021, I still won’t need to charge more than every other day (at most).

Reactions: Carbonfiber

steve86

Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
F1 Pinnacle 25% front windows and 50% on rear windows included trunk.

Stratos 70% front windshield and glass roof

I got my car tinted at G5 Tint today.... I didnt get the roof tinted. Wondering what are your personal thoughts on it. Was there a noticeable difference in heat coming from the roof?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC