Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So camping mode is useless.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read that thread, not really helpful.

Rear vents have also turned on automatically and are blasting cold air at me.

This is what I'd do.

Change climate to manual, and set the temp to what you want
Turn on rear vents, and turn off the other vents
Use keep climate on and not camp mode
Leave the vehicle and get in the back the back (to keep the screen off)

If it's blowing cold air then something is wrong with your car. Maybe a reboot will fix it, and maybe it won't.

This is what I'd do.

Change climate to manual, and set the temp to what you want
Turn on rear vents, and turn off the other vents
Use keep climate on and not camp mode
Leave the vehicle and get in the back the back (to keep the screen off)

If it's blowing cold air then something is wrong with your car. Maybe a reboot will fix it, and maybe it won't.

Basically did this with camping mode and found some black shorts to cover the screen.

Temp is up above 60 and already feeling like I can sleep.

Mess to actually use though trying to change options while already laying in the back.

Just completed another camping trip.
Things that work:

Do not use Camp Mode!
  • Turn off Lights

• Set Temp to Keep Climate On

• Set to rear vents

• Turn off Walkaway Door Locks

• Turn off Dome lights

• Turn off Sentry

• Turn off Alarm under Safety and Security (scroll down on the screen, below Joe Mode)

DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR once you have set these and are out of the vehicle. If you do you get the pleasure of resetting them again.

Once you are in your bed and comfortable, Press the door locks on your phone app. The car screen will immediately go black.

Enjoy the night sky-views, Good Night

Wait, had a few beverages and you have to go to the bathroom….

Unlock the doors via the Phone app. If you hit the button on the door, your head lights will go on and the car will make its sound. So make sure you unlock from the phone app first. When you return climb back in bed and hit the door lock again on the phone. Remember DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVER DOOR!!!!

You can store your phone on the back seat shelf, or in the door pocket, which ever is easier for you to reach. Door pocket or door handle works well if you are charging your phone via the usb’s for the back seats. Just make sure your cable is long enough.

Be prepared to answer fellow camper questions. I usually leave the doors and trunk open the second night after my wife has made the bed so inquisitive minds can get the answers they were seeking on where we slept last night when they didn’t see a tent.

Just completed another camping trip.
Things that work:

Do not use Camp Mode!
  • Turn off Lights

• Set Temp to Keep Climate On

• Set to rear vents

• Turn off Walkaway Door Locks

• Turn off Dome lights

• Turn off Sentry

• Turn off Alarm under Safety and Security (scroll down on the screen, below Joe Mode)

DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR once you have set these and are out of the vehicle. If you do you get the pleasure of resetting them again.

Once you are in your bed and comfortable, Press the door locks on your phone app. The car screen will immediately go black.

Enjoy the night sky-views, Good Night

Wait, had a few beverages and you have to go to the bathroom….

Unlock the doors via the Phone app. If you hit the button on the door, your head lights will go on and the car will make its sound. So make sure you unlock from the phone app first. When you return climb back in bed and hit the door lock again on the phone. Remember DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVER DOOR!!!!

You can store your phone on the back seat shelf, or in the door pocket, which ever is easier for you to reach. Door pocket or door handle works well if you are charging your phone via the usb’s for the back seats. Just make sure your cable is long enough.

Be prepared to answer fellow camper questions. I usually leave the doors and trunk open the second night after my wife has made the bed so inquisitive minds can get the answers they were seeking on where we slept last night when they didn’t see a tent.
This is exactly what camp mode should do automatically as a mode so I don't have to do all these things.

Which I'd why I made a thread about it being useless.

Save for the screen, I have to disagree that camp mode is useless.

First thing’s first: camp mode disables the headlights which is huge when setting up camp at night around other campers.

It also negates that whole “don’t open the driver door” business (although, you’ll want to turn off the profile switch based on phone otherwise any seat changes you made for camping will revert to driver).

As for HVAC, manual and set the vents you want before letting the screen “sleep.” I usually set the floor & back vents on but turn off the main vents. As for temperature, as long as there’s cellular coverage, you can change your set point in the app while leaving your black shorts over the screen.

Before camp mode, camping in an area without cell coverage meant pushing on the brake every few hours in order to keep climate on. Mind you, that was before dog mode or keep climate on were introduced but I still think (unless I’m mistaken) that camp mode will keep climate on longer than the others (provided the battery % doesn’t drop too far).

Basically, fix the screen issue and allow climate control via Bluetooth (maybe even vent selection) and it’ll be spot on.

Yeah, the main screen absolutely doesn't turn off in camping mode. I've done about 8 nights using it and that damned bright fire lasts till morning. Even if you turn on the screen cleaning mode it turns off after a short while. Turning down the brightness helps a bit but in a pitch black camp site it's still this burning bright beacon while you try to sleep. Camping mode is kinda useless for me with the bright screen going all night.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VGFDSD9/ref=twister_B082N189DY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

51T2xpJFsjL._AC_SL1005_.jpg

This is a lie. When I got up in the morning and took the shorts off the campfire was still going.

I apologize for my mistake. When the "camp" mode was first released, I first tried it out at the beginning of this year and if I remember correctly, the screens did time out after a while at that time. However, now that you've pointed out, I've tried again and you are correct that the screens don't time out.

I hope upcoming updates will address that issue.