Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, Do I Take The Car or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was my big day!. After a10 week wait for my MS 75D in multi coat red,I go to pick it up at the Dania Beach Center,FL, prepared for the unexpected after reading the forum for months. As we walk up to my car under long florescent tube fixtures,I can spot paint irregularities across the room!!. Long story short, in excess of 20 paint bubbles and dust in the paint, on most of the panels of the car. I had my advisor immediately join the DS and me for the walk around. I marked each one with tape, and the DS joined in the fest. I had to cancel the tint,PPF, ceramic appointment for two weeks.

Of course their answer is,"we'll have the detail team take care of it all, and you can take delivery in a week or so."

MY QUESTION:

Knowing that they will buff down all the paint to remove the bubbles and dust and that most of the clear coat will be gone when done, do I reject the car and wait for another?. There's probably enough time to get a delivery before year-end. But what a PAI.

What would you do??

Thanks!

Today was my big day!. After a10 week wait for my MS 75D in multi coat red,I go to pick it up at the Dania Beach Center,FL, prepared for the unexpected after reading the forum for months. As we walk up to my car under long florescent tube fixtures,I can spot paint irregularities across the room!!. Long story short, in excess of 20 paint bubbles and dust in the paint, on most of the panels of the car. I had my advisor immediately join the DS and me for the walk around. I marked each one with tape, and the DS joined in the fest. I had to cancel the tint,PPF, ceramic appointment for two weeks.

Of course their answer is,"we'll have the detail team take care of it all, and you can take delivery in a week or so."

MY QUESTION:

Knowing that they will buff down all the paint to remove the bubbles and dust and that most of the clear coat will be gone when done, do I reject the car and wait for another?. There's probably enough time to get a delivery before year-end. But what a PAI.

What would you do??

Thanks!

Here's an idea: If you accept the car after they fix the paint, perhaps ask them to throw in the 4 year extended warranty or the 4 year service plan? This way you are reimbursed somewhat for the pain tissues and delay and Tesla still gets to deliver the car to you in decent shape.

Especially since you are getting the car wrapped, the paint issues should not affect your long term enjoyment of the car. I would have them fix the paint issues for you and then ask for what I suggested above.

• Helpful
Reactions: MisterTwo
I would give them a week but no more and put a lot of emphasis on the fact that you expect everything else to be in prestige condition.

I really want tesla to have success but this situation would never happen at another luxury car company. They really need to start taking their sh*t together... how on earth will they manage all of the model 3 deliveries which such poor insight. I feel that the least they could have done would of been to notify you before you had to drive there.

MY QUESTION:

What would you do??

Thanks!
I received delivery of my 75D, midnight silver metallic, about 4weeks ago. It had a small paint blemish (1 mm) on hood that I noticed. I took delivery, knowing that it was written that they would correct later. If I would have found more paint issues, I would not have accepted delivery.
You have waited 10 weeks, be patient and do not accept car. Let them get you another car. They probably can find you a new one in inventory in less time.
Get what you deserve and paying for. Best of luck.

Thanks for the opinions and insight. I'll wait to see the outcome, and talk to the wrap folks as well. Upon next delivery, assuming it looks good, I'm going to push for the service or warranty. As a last resort I'll ask for another car and wait it out. I'm just afraid this is the quality I can expect on the next one....

Thanks for the opinions and insight. I'll wait to see the outcome, and talk to the wrap folks as well. Upon next delivery, assuming it looks good, I'm going to push for the service or warranty. As a last resort I'll ask for another car and wait it out. I'm just afraid this is the quality I can expect on the next one....

The later you take delivery in a quarter I think the higher the quality issues. So depending on when you take delivery, if there is a next time, quality control might be better.

I took delivery of a silver car sep 25th last year. No paint issues. Although I may have missed stuff.

I agree with Alex362 given you state all panels affected. Paint correction by your detailer to get good PPF can get expensive. My 12-17 MS75D MSM color had a large tiger stripe on the hood. I couldn’t believe it but was only significant blemish. Body shop repainted and I can’t tell - had it PPF and CC then onto the punch list. Despite my mistress being demanding I still can’t imagine driving another car now and miss her when I do. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: buttershrimp
I just don’t understand how this happens and, more importantly, why it’s not caught and corrected prior to reaching the customer. Are these blemishes coming from the factory or are they cars that have gone from bad to worse when they try to repaint a car with some blemishes.

Here's an idea: If you accept the car after they fix the paint, perhaps ask them to throw in the 4 year extended warranty or the 4 year service plan? This way you are reimbursed somewhat for the pain tissues and delay and Tesla still gets to deliver the car to you in decent shape.

Especially since you are getting the car wrapped, the paint issues should not affect your long term enjoyment of the car. I would have them fix the paint issues for you and then ask for what I suggested above.
I'll be shocked if they agree to 4 years. I had a random driver hit my car as it was being unloaded from the carrier on the street in front of Tesla during rush hour..... I had to wait for the bumper to be replaced on my P100D and I very nearly didn't buy the car, but I am so glad I did. Everyone was telling me not to accept it. They were so wrong. It's not a bad idea to ask, I pushed very hard but the most they'd bend was 3 years and they were very very upset along with me, but they can usually only tolerate so much of a loss. Trust me on this. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Anyway, my recommendation is to take the car, the ppf installer should take a clay bar to it and take out imperfections. Tesla doesn't have outstanding paint, but it is going to be very close to perfect if you hire a good ppf installer. That's just my thought on it.

I really want tesla to have success but this situation would never happen at another luxury car company. They really need to start taking their sh*t together... how on earth will they manage all of the model 3 deliveries which such poor insight. I feel that the least they could have done would of been to notify you before you had to drive there.

I honestly now think they actually know of these issues and just hope people dont notice on delivery. They are already teetering on the edge, they wouldn't be able to stand the cash loss of delayed deliveries and deal with cars that had to be repaired or go back to the assembly line.

There are simply far too many stories or poor quality cars despite what some people on this board would have you believe. Yes, lots of perfect deliveries, but far too many bad ones too.

Reactions: Inside and kavyboy
There are simply far too many stories or poor quality cars despite what some people on this board would have you believe. Yes, lots of perfect deliveries, but far too many bad ones too.

Source other than TMC? The positive stories on this board outnumber the negative ones anyways. Tesla delivered 40k+ cars last quarter, how many of those have had issues that required delivery refusal? If there was a widespread issue, it would be all over the news and the shorts would be all over it.

They are already teetering on the edge,

yeah $4 billion cash on hand is "teetering on the edge"

I'll be shocked if they agree to 4 years. I had a random driver hit my car as it was being unloaded from the carrier on the street in front of Tesla during rush hour..... I had to wait for the bumper to be replaced on my P100D and I very nearly didn't buy the car, but I am so glad I did. Everyone was telling me not to accept it. They were so wrong. It's not a bad idea to ask, I pushed very hard but the most they'd bend was 3 years and they were very very upset along with me, but they can usually only tolerate so much of a loss. Trust me on this. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Anyway, my recommendation is to take the car, the ppf installer should take a clay bar to it and take out imperfections. Tesla doesn't have outstanding paint, but it is going to be very close to perfect if you hire a good ppf installer. That's just my thought on it.
Tesla or the transport company has insurance which should have covered the bumper replacement AND diminished value of the car after the accident, so Tesla should not be losing anything on this (maybe a deductible). On a P100D, brand new vs. one with 10 miles but that has been in an accident probably has some diminished value - possibly enough to cover 4 year service.

Note by the way that your situation was different, I doubt they have insurance for their own manufacturing faults.

Teslas QC team is always like

68FA213F-F261-4008-88F0-A789C146D2A7.jpeg

2:30 PM EST Update: Dania Beach, Florida

After reviewing all the photos I took at yesterday's failed delivery, I counted 40+ defects noted on the car's paint. I called the only responsive guy I have found in the SC and he privately agreed he has never seen a worse paint job on a new MS. I permanently declined the vehicle and he is searching for a replacement now. He's a great person and Elon will know of his efforts when we're done. There are a few good people who care and take pride in their product.

I was offered a new car and new build and more, but in the end, you have to choose for yourself, I’m just letting you know we ran into to a wall with their ability to offer more than 3 years service, they where ready to build a new car for me as alternative but they couldn’t go beyond 3 years for whatever reason... this went up the ladder very far....it’s just trying to validate the op and let them know it is very easy to let anticipation, anger and anxiety begin to fester into becoming unreasonable ....but they may only be able to bend so much. And then it is only your decision that matters ...