Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So do you leave a note for an ICEd charging spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when you see a charging spot that is specifically marked for EV use and EV use only, does anyone consider leaving a note? A reminder, so to speak, that they're blocking someone's ability to get home, perhaps?

I saw this ICEd spot last weekend in Colorado, just curious...

ICEd_At_Theater.JPG

So when you see a charging spot that is specifically marked for EV use and EV use only, does anyone consider leaving a note? A reminder, so to speak, that they're blocking someone's ability to get home, perhaps?

View attachment 97626
I have a couple of copies of a short note that someone on this forum came up with and I would leave one of those on the windshield.

I call the police and request the vehicle be ticketed. Arizona has an anti-ICEing law that will cost the offender over $300. I treat this situation no differently than if I saw someone blatantly parking in the handicapped spot without the appropriate permit.

The only problem I have is that you have to alter the violator's vehicle - lift a windshield wiper, for example - to leave the note. You could technically be charged with vandalism of the car if the cop is so inclined or is friends with the violator.

Yes, I searched. I liked the business-card reminder that one person printed, but they likely wouldn't be seen or would be thrown away. I'm not decided what to do, if anything.

Yes I give them the benefit of doubt and leave the following:

Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.

By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by keeping a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the price will continue to rise.

So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you

View attachment 97626

@Panoz, ignoring your question altogether, I just wanted to say that I charged in that EXACT spot when I visited Colorado Springs with my Model S earlier this year. Small world.

I think a polite note is the way to go. Now that the EV drivers are getting pissed enough to do nasty things, I think it might help to encourage drivers to park in another spot so that a less-than-kind EV driver doesn't get so mad that they vandalize the ICE. It might not work at all. But at least it is something. I do wish that there was effective enforcement of this. I would think that making these spaces tow away zones and ticketable could be a great money maker for tow companies.

It just amazes me at how self absorbed and inconsiderate Americans are. And I am an American.

So I have created this card, taking the soft approach. I have no intention of vandalizing another car, no matter how tempting it may be. Four flats, anyone!

Dear Gasoline Car Driver,

Please understand that when you park in an EV charging space, chances are that that a driver may well not make it home. We have only one source for our “fuel” and this is it. I have been stranded due to a gas car taking a spot that I so badly needed. I didn’t make it home that day.

Many of us bought an EV in order to be positive contributors to our country. Not just to be cool or flashy. Even if you think we are crazy, please don’t leave us stranded.

Also please understand that EV drivers are starting to get mean when it comes to being stranded and are beginning to get aggressive against those who take these spaces. I am not one of them and that is why I write this. My hope is that my note will help you to understand the predicament you have put us in and that you will understand the importance of leaving this space open for us to charge so we can get home.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Where I work we have a ton of charge stations and ton of electric cars. Unfortunately, one particular Tesla owner insists on parking in an EV charging spot and not charge. I find it particularly upsetting since they must realize that other people need to charge yet they willfully block a charge spot presumably for the privilege of parking in an EV spot.

I've tried leaving notes kindly asking them to only park there if charging to no avail. Would love suggestions.

They know what they are doing. They are violating on purpose. They don't park in a marked disabled spot as they know they will be ticketed and perhaps towed. So, I just let the air out of one of their tires. They won't do it again.:biggrin:

Mods, please feel free to edit as this is the first time that I have used a bad word on this site...But I feel this strongly about this topic.

There are *******s everywhere. I would think that a Tesla owner, of ALL EV owners, would understand the significance of this rudeness. Unfortunate that there are so many selfish people. I would hope that the driver gets ICEd and can't make it home to his/her family one night. That might increase the sensitivity to this issue. It has happened to me, both a Tesla and an i3.

I like several of the responses, I will adopt one or more of the printed notes approach, I think. We do not want to do the keyed car or deflated tires, that will lead to backlash. The ultimate solution, as others have mentioned, is enforcement. In the case of the photo I posted (neato, Polly Wog!), I should call the owner of the shopping mall that has the EV spot and ask what their enforcement policies are. In fact, if they will post a 24-hour phone number to call so violators can be towed, that would solve the problem.

A simple reminder like this should do:

I don't park at your fuelling station so please don't park at mine.

Sincerely
--EV Driver

Exactly. These are not EV parking spots. Even though they're often called that in discussions and even on the posted signs. They're EV fueling spots. Calling them that consistently may eventually help some people--both ICE and EV drivers--understand that parking there while not charging is a big problem. So my resolution: I'm going to always call them fueling spots, from now on, and encourage my friends to do likewise. Spread the word!

I enjoyed the Marriott Anaheim's Tesla charging this weekend, even though that hotel is not normally my preferred in the area. I also left a note on this Camaro's windshield who was blatantly parked in an EV spot. I didn't have to lift the wiper. Just slipped it under. Also, alerted hotel manager as I was thanking her for the Tesla spots.
(Which she didn't even know had been installed yet!):confused:
image.jpeg

I enjoyed the Marriott Anaheim's Tesla charging this weekend, even though that hotel is not normally my preferred in the area. I also left a note on this Camaro's windshield who was blatantly parked in an EV spot. I didn't have to lift the wiper. Just slipped it under. Also, alerted hotel manager as I was thanking her for the Tesla spots.
(Which she didn't even know had been installed yet!):confused:View attachment 101596

10 points for you!!! Perfect.