Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So do you leave a note for an ICEd charging spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, alerted hotel manager as I was thanking her for the Tesla spots.
(Which she didn't even know had been installed yet!):confused:
It's not only classy of you to show appreciation but we're really in an education era when it comes to public chargers. The more conversations about Juice Stations (I'm trying that phrase out), the more the incidents will taper off. "Gas Stations" really don't get ICEd and it's all due to social norm, not enforcement.

10 points for you!!! Perfect.
Yep!
And I had another thought. Really can't overstate how smart it is to install multiple "pumps" to comprise a "station" (the example they set with Superchargers). Even legit use can mean a wait for the next gal to arrive, if there's just a single charger. Uh, Juice Pump.

Exactly. These are not EV parking spots. Even though they're often called that in discussions and even on the posted signs. They're EV fueling spots. Calling them that consistently may eventually help some people--both ICE and EV drivers--understand that parking there while not charging is a big problem. So my resolution: I'm going to always call them fueling spots, from now on, and encourage my friends to do likewise. Spread the word!
Juice Stations. (right # of syllables... I'm not 100% sold on it though, LOL)

Last edited:
I keep a supply of very nicely worded notes pre printed.. I ALWAYS leave them on the windshield of ICE car in the charging spot. I have another one for electric cars taking space and not actively charging. Maybe someday we can educate a few folks.

So when you see a charging spot that is specifically marked for EV use and EV use only, does anyone consider leaving a note? A reminder, so to speak, that they're blocking someone's ability to get home, perhaps?

I saw this ICEd spot last weekend in Colorado, just curious...

View attachment 97626

I normally do as I think education is helpful. I have the following on 16 point font and leave on the windshield under the wiper.

Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.

By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by keeping a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the price will continue to rise.

So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you

The only problem I have is that you have to alter the violator's vehicle - lift a windshield wiper, for example - to leave the note. You could technically be charged with vandalism of the car if the cop is so inclined or is friends with the violator.

I just had a quick peek at the relevant Virginia code and it would not be true here. You have to write directly on the car or cause "damage" under our statute.

The big problem with leaving a note is that the ones who didn't realize what they were doing will likely not do it again, but the ones who think this is "EVs get special treatment" are likely to retaliate.

I would like to see any car at a charger leave a contact number on the dash if the driver leaves. Of course, no one thinks to do that little thing, so how can we expect a harried mother, trying to get some business done, to respond to a note on the window? I figure it's wasted time. It will end up in the trash, if not on the street.

Especially when many charge spots sit empty most of the time, who would not be tempted to park their pickup/trailer across a spot or two as they run into the bank. There's still a couple places open. Is it any worse for a Tesla owner to plug in and then go off to eat somewhere while they do an hour and a half charge?

It might cause a few to think if the charger sign begged: "Please - don't park here if you aren't charging", or "Please leave a contact number if you must leave your car". But probably not. Ultimately, I don't think we're trainable.

I was thinking about printing a bunch of these business cards up. Not too offensive but gets the point across. Small enough to fit a few in your wallet or purse and you can just leave one behind when you are ICEd.

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 9.15.10 PM.png

I would like to see any car at a charger leave a contact number on the dash if the driver leaves. Of course, no one thinks to do that little thing, so how can we expect a harried mother, trying to get some business done, to respond to a note on the window? I figure it's wasted time. It will end up in the trash, if not on the street.

Especially when many charge spots sit empty most of the time, who would not be tempted to park their pickup/trailer across a spot or two as they run into the bank. There's still a couple places open. Is it any worse for a Tesla owner to plug in and then go off to eat somewhere while they do an hour and a half charge?

It might cause a few to think if the charger sign begged: "Please - don't park here if you aren't charging", or "Please leave a contact number if you must leave your car". But probably not. Ultimately, I don't think we're trainable.

I agree with this in general. Except the last sentence. We ARE trainable. This is how we learned to walk. Just takes a long time and many attempts - will not happen overnight.

Can I get a pdf of about 5 of those on a 8x11?

Right? Totally useful and not too offensive.

I can't imagine anyone needing more than 50 of them. Unfortunately, the pricing of business card orders is higher for small orders and the minimum order is 100. I think I'm going to do a massive order and then list it on panjo for people to buy a package of 50 at a reasonable price. I'm thinking about selling a pack of 50 cards for $10 including US shipping. PM me if interested.

I'll make a little cash doing it this way, but you'll save money instead of ordering them yourself and the cost will offset my time of splitting them up and sending them out and paying for postage.

I'm going to print them on recycled paper (can't be a hypocrite if you're driving an EV) in glossy so they hold up better in wet weather.

Notes won't help not matter how polite or well formatted. It will probably get some Tesla's keyed, there, or elsewhere.

Ticket/Tow signs are the only things that will work.

I agree 100%.

SWAG that most people who block the spaces, don't care and know that nothing will happen.

There are 2 ways to fix that
1. Make them care. This is hard, very hard. And using business cards/print outs/etc. on their car wont do it. Just like I constantly see people parking in the "expectant mother" or "parents with young kids" spaces.
2. Make them realize that something will happen. This is what needs to be done.

The reason people don't park in handicapped spaces (and no, I'm not comparing the importance of a handicapped space to an EV space) is that there is a sign "you park here, you get towed and a $500 fine, and o yeah, we strictly enforce it".

Can also get a choice of 3 from Blink:

http://www.blinknetwork.com/file/7741/Blink+Courtesy+Notices.pdf

I print and cut them out to have on hand. A local HEB gets ICE'd a bunch, but lately I've been running into 'abandoned' Leafs that I find fully changed as well.

The text of the notice options:

You have ICEd* me!
I am an Electric Vehicle driver trying to get a charge and you are parked in a spot that is designated for Electric Vehicles only. Please look at the signs and avoid blocking these parking spots.
Thank you!
*ICEing is when an internal combustion engine vehicle takes an electric vehicle only parking spot.

EV Parking Only
You are currently parked in a parking space that is designated for Electric Vehicle Charging only and are preventing electric car drivers, like me, from charging our cars. We don’t block your gas pump, so please don’t park in spaces that are designated for charging. Thank you!

EV Charging Only
This is a great parking spot, but it is designated for Electric Vehicles that are charging and you are preventing other EV drivers in need of a charge, like me, from charging our cars and getting to our destination. In the future, please be sure to move your EV when it’s done charging. Thank you.