Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So do you leave a note for an ICEd charging spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem will escalate as more Teslas and BEVs hit the highways. Too many people are careless, inconsiderate, selfish or just plain mean for gentle suasion to have any lasting effect. I applaud all of us who are steadfast in trying to educate and cajole those individuals without taking off our gloves, as it were.

As BEVs become more popular and charging is more common, the some of the ICE issues will go away, as the "I never see anyone charging here," or similar excuses will no longer work. By then some people will either have purchased one for themselves or a close family member will have one, so the word will start to spread, albeit slowly.

Two things need to occur before this problem goes away for the most part: First, we need to have concentrated spaces available--either dedicated charging facilities a la gas stations or a cluster of 20-30 spots that are clearly marked for EV charging ONLY and that are away from entrances or other conveniences.

Second, once a few influential politicians who drive BEVs (or their family members) get ICEd and are stranded or late for an engagement because of ICEing, we will see serious legislation AND enforcement. After legislation is passed that has some teeth to enforcement, I feel that the remaining states will follow suit.

As has been pointed out above, a significant fine and/or threat of towing is likely the best deterrent. And that can happen only through political resolve, not through PSA's.

I don't have my MS yet, but during the wait I've been on the lookout for the various public chargers and EV parking spaces around town.
Came across these five 110V EV spots the other day - a 5th spot to the right is hidden by the fancy new model electric CR-V (!). You can't see it in the photo but behind the shopping cart is a blue sign indicating "snow pile area" to the right - so I guess these EV spaces provide double duty (!). Actually when I first arrived there was another ICE parked here too but it left before I came out of the store and snapped the picture. I guess some of those pre-printed notes might have come in handy...
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 3.09.39 PM.jpg

The only problem I have is that you have to alter the violator's vehicle - lift a windshield wiper, for example - to leave the note. You could technically be charged with vandalism of the car if the cop is so inclined or is friends with the violator.

Yes, I searched. I liked the business-card reminder that one person printed, but they likely wouldn't be seen or would be thrown away. I'm not decided what to do, if anything.

I don't see how lifting a windshield wiper to place a note under it qualifies for vandalism. The definition of "vandalism" is: "action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property." No deliberate destruction in placing a note under the wiper.

As I continue to read through this thread, I believe everyone has valid points about the business cards and their value. It depends on the personality of the driver and how much you are impacted by someone ICEing you.

We are all early adopters of this technology and it is the direction that cars are going -- and needs to go for the future of our planet. The more we can make people aware that this technology exists and it is usable and beneficial, the better it is for everyone. What if 1 out of 10 times we leave a card behind, we open someone's eye to EV technology and they consider purchasing one. To me it's worth it.

I think people who receive a ICEd note in their windshield will fall into three categories.

1) They'll ignore it and keep doing it.
2) They'll take it to heart and stop doing it.
3) They'll take it to heart and consider getting an EV for themselves.

If they fall into the 2nd or 3rd categories, then the card is a great idea. I think we be ambassadors for this technology and leaving a note might just make a difference. This is why I like the kinder-gentler card.

As I continue to read through this thread, I believe everyone has valid points about the business cards and their value. It depends on the personality of the driver and how much you are impacted by someone ICEing you.

We are all early adopters of this technology and it is the direction that cars are going -- and needs to go for the future of our planet. The more we can make people aware that this technology exists and it is usable and beneficial, the better it is for everyone. What if 1 out of 10 times we leave a card behind, we open someone's eye to EV technology and they consider purchasing one. To me it's worth it.

I think people who receive a ICEd note in their windshield will fall into three categories.

If they fall into the 2nd or 3rd categories, then the card is a great idea. I think we be ambassadors for this technology and leaving a note might just make a difference. This is why I like the kinder-gentler card.

Also -- the business card sized notices arrived today! They look amazing. I will be sending out the first batch of shipments tomorrow. I hope they arrive by the end of the week.

If you haven't ordered and still want to, please follow this link:

http://www.panjo.com/buy/iced-business-cards-237997?

You forgot #4 - They retaliate. Whether it be to intentionally ICE an EV spot next time, or worse they key someone elses car.

I think most people will fall into #1, with a small percentage of outliers in 2-4.

You forgot #4 - They retaliate. Whether it be to intentionally ICE an EV spot next time, or worse they key someone elses car.

I think most people will fall into #1, with a small percentage of outliers in 2-4.

You are possibly right, Max*. I've been a driver in Oregon for many years and have grown accustomed to the kindness of drivers on the roads. There is an old saying that a traffic jam in Oregon is a four-way stop. Everybody keeps waving each other to proceed. This is not a joke. I've seen it too many times.

This summer I spent some time in Virginia visiting the Wintergreen Resort. What a beautiful place that is. Gorgeous. I was warned by a friend of mine that lives in Leesburg that drivers in Virginia are a little different. I didn't quite get it until I got there. While driving on the freeways, I had the following situation happen multiple times. Driving along, decided to change lanes, so I signaled. The driver in the next lane well behind the location where I was intending to go would floor it to try to prevent me from changing lanes. What is this? I didn't understand, but I was fascinated by this mentality. In Oregon, we ease up a bit to let them in.

Anyway, I forgot to account for regional mentality of drivers. Perhaps retaliation is a real thing, but I couldn't possibly imagine it.

You are possibly right, Max*. I've been a driver in Oregon for many years and have grown accustomed to the kindness of drivers on the roads. There is an old saying that a traffic jam in Oregon is a four-way stop. Everybody keeps waving each other to proceed. This is not a joke. I've seen it too many times.

This summer I spent some time in Virginia visiting the Wintergreen Resort. What a beautiful place that is. Gorgeous. I was warned by a friend of mine that lives in Leesburg that drivers in Virginia are a little different. I didn't quite get it until I got there. While driving on the freeways, I had the following situation happen multiple times. Driving along, decided to change lanes, so I signaled. The driver in the next lane well behind the location where I was intending to go would floor it to try to prevent me from changing lanes. What is this? I didn't understand, but I was fascinated by this mentality. In Oregon, we ease up a bit to let them in.

Anyway, I forgot to account for regional mentality of drivers. Perhaps retaliation is a real thing, but I couldn't possibly imagine it.

I learned to drive in NYC, when I got to VA, the people here seemed very nice and polite (like your story about Oregon) ;)

while region has a part in the equation population densities play a big part as well, in more dense/urban areas people tend to be less courteous to others.
when my son moved to NYC last year he commented on how great it was not to be obliged to be friendly to people.

You're not wrong.

Feel free to ignore the following semantic geekout!

I think you mean 'escalate' (as I suggested to Jerry J upthread) unless you really think keying, or stall blocking, is equivalent to leaving a note?

retaliate
verb
make an attack or assault in return for a similar attack
"the blow stung and she retaliated immediately"
repay (an injury or insult) in kind
"they used their abilities to retaliate the injury"

Sorry to pick and quibble but there's a point to my annoying rhetoric: "retaliate" implies that note-leavers are doing similar harm, or any harm at all.

Now. I don't disagree with the possibility of an escalated response - some drivers have truly um, unfriendly tendencies!