Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So existing Tesla Models will NOT be able to perform Robotaxi service? (Shocker). I’m confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
BD6C8741-90C3-4702-9666-9101F0A77B87.jpeg

>> So existing Tesla Models will NOT be able to perform Robotaxi service?

I think the Robotaxi 'shape' represents a new category of vehicles
(Passenger van and utilitary box truck) based on the Cybertruck platform.

But the Robotaxi 'function' can be used on any vehicle (see the Boring loop in Las Vegas)
up to integrating the Robotaxi functions into a real Robot (see Optimus Tesla Bot).

But the Robotaxi 'function' can be used on any vehicle (see the Boring loop in Las Vegas)
Can't wait to try it. They don't even have to have any advanced streets functions for that. Just drive around a toy track at 30mph, park and reverse. Maybe take a few engineers off Twitter for a month. I mean really an undergrad team of engineer students could accomplish this.

While I'm having a go at Boring. Having to get into a car, fill the seats by shimmying along and walking near the passing traffic to load the other side, putting on a seatbelt, listening to how to open the doors, driving at 30mph for a half mile, taking off the seatbelt, getting out by shimmying or exiting near traffic, all while being driven by 70 paid drivers who just go around and around a 1+ mile track all day just trying to keep the car off the wall a foot away...

"It's just soooo stupid". (I'm hearing the voice of Elaine from Seinfeld here)

If they bought or made a larger capacity people-mover that you just step in on the non-traffic side, takes wheelchairs, luggage, doesn't need instruction to get out of, probably needs no seatbelts, and is automated. Well then I would respect them justa smidge. And those vehicles exist NOW if they licensed them. Yeah it's probably another stupid Elon "nope" for not doing the blind obvious.

I have said the same thing over on the Boring subforum too, but it's still relevant to Robotaxi discussion. The guy's a billionaire, he could spend a little and get these things done.

...If they bought or made a larger capacity people-mover that you just step in on the non-traffic side, takes wheelchairs, luggage, doesn't need instruction to get out of, probably needs no seatbelts, and is automated. Well then I would respect them justa smidge. And those vehicles exist NOW if they licensed them. Yeah it's probably another stupid Elon "nope" for not doing the blind obvious.
I was just waiting in front of my home for an Amazon delivery,
and bang the delivery truck was a new 'Rivian' delivery truck !!!

The driver let me have a look inside. This truck is huge.
It could be easily being converted into a passenger van or a motorhome.
A smaller size version could be easily built as a family van or smaller delivery van.

This is the type of van that everyone is waiting for.
The current EV SUVs are certainly nice and comfortable
but too pricey for many people to just take their kids to play soccer.

Note: When you have $44 Billion to spare, why not making a new Van factory, seems more useful?

Last edited:
I was just waiting in front of my home for an Amazon delivery,
and bang the delivery truck was a new 'Rivian' delivery truck !!!

The driver let me have a look inside. This truck is huge.
It could be easily being converted into a passenger van or a motorhome.
A smaller size version could be easily built as a family van or smaller delivery van.

This is the type of van that everyone is waiting for.
The current EV SUVs are certainly nice and comfortable
but too pricey for many people to just take their kids to play soccer.

Note: When you have $44 Billion to spare, why not making a new Van factory, seems more useful?
Rivian Amazon Van Full Tour! Check Out This Insanely Cool Electric Delivery Vehicle
Out of Spec Reviews - Nov 29, 2022
Max takes a look at the Rivian EDV 700 at Amazon's biggest warehouse in Colorado. What is it like for a driver to use this all-electric van coming from the existing delivery fleet? We answer that and more all in this video

Reactions: 2101Guy
>> So existing Tesla Models will NOT be able to perform Robotaxi service?

I think the Robotaxi 'shape' represents a new category of vehicles
(Passenger van and utilitary box truck) based on the Cybertruck platform.

up to integrating the Robotaxi functions into a real Robot (see Optimus Tesla Bot).
Ok. So does that mean ANY of this is still true? Or is it all..."alternative facts", (aka lying about FSD's actual capabilities) once again, by Elon?

From 2019

“From our standpoint, if you fast forward a year – maybe a year and three months, but next year for sure – we’ll have over a million robotaxis on the road,” Musk told an audience."

"By the middle of next year, we’ll have over a million Tesla cars on the road with full self-driving hardware, feature complete, at a reliability level that we would consider that no one needs to pay attention,” Musk said".

Rivian Amazon Van Full Tour! Check Out This Insanely Cool Electric Delivery Vehicle
Out of Spec Reviews - Nov 29, 2022
Max takes a look at the Rivian EDV 700 at Amazon's biggest warehouse in Colorado. What is it like for a driver to use this all-electric van coming from the existing delivery fleet? We answer that and more all in this video

Nice review. I t would have been interesting to show a real itinerary generated on the map.

I have seen such itinerary, where all the customer delivery stops look a little bit like the Supercharger
locations that the Tesla NAP (Navigate on Autopilot) itinerary generates when you are doing a long trip.