Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So far so good MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU2 upgrade done last week on 2015 S 85D. Appointment for Monday morning at 9:45. App said estimated completion 5 PM, OK. Wait, 5 PM Wednesday - what ? Link provided for Uber credits to get me home. Pick up the car and YES, it's like getting a new car. I figured I would have to reset garage door setting, wifi, etc., but not everything.

Still unable to get door handles to auto present. Menu setting is set for auto-present, but the passive entry setting is grayed out. Any ideas ?
Apparently, the passive entry option cannot be set at home. When I got to work the other day, I was able to set passive entry and my handles present again. Still finding settings to change to get back to where it was.

Any of you guys have a pre AP model an had the upgrade. So service called me today. I can have free fix new chip keep old mcu or can upgrade for 1500. Being a 2013 model S. I dont know if 1500 is worth it just for faster screen an netflix. If My car was a year newer would be a easy decision. I do plan on keeping her for as long as she still ok. Only 52,000 miles an in great shape other than the car dying last week. Thought it was 12v battery but they called today said its the mcu

Thanks for quick response. Reason for asking is that AP2 cars gets upgraded to AP3 and talking with some fellow MS AP1 car owners the discussion came up whether the cars would be upgraded to AP3 as well to squeeze a bit more out of the cards even if it doesn't have the same amount of cameras.

Thanks for quick response. Reason for asking is that AP2 cars gets upgraded to AP3 and talking with some fellow MS AP1 car owners the discussion came up whether the cars would be upgraded to AP3 as well to squeeze a bit more out of the cards even if it doesn't have the same amount of cameras.
We only have one camera and radar to be able to use anything but AP1 with mobile eye we will need complete overhaul of our cars. Cost will be astronomical. Tesla is not doing it bc they are in business of selling new cars ;)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
AP2 cars gets upgraded to AP3

Technically Tesla doesn't upgrade AP2/2.5 cars to AP3, it just swaps the AP2/2.5 computer (located above the glovebox on Model S and X), to the FSD computer. You still need to purchase the software to enable the features the FSD computer brings.

That's it!

It's not quite the AP hardware upgrade you mention, since there are other important differences between AP2.0 and AP2.5, that Tesla doesn't "upgrade" for AP2.0 vehicles, let alone AP1 vehicles.

Teslas with AP2.5 have RCCB cameras, a block of e-fuses, second canbus input on AP unit, steering rack with new redundant wiring connections and a different front radar (Bosch, 525 ft range vs. Continental, 558 ft range).

Non of these items (except for the cameras) are user upgradable for AP2.0 cars, and even the cameras have a Gateway.config file differentiator flag on the vehicle's firmware.

All this to highlight just the differences between Teslas built on October 2016 and Teslas built on August 2017 (not even a year apart), without even mentioning the extensive differences between AP1 and AP2.0 cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi and SO16
Technically Tesla doesn't upgrade AP2/2.5 cars to AP3, it just swaps the AP2/2.5 computer (located above the glovebox on Model S and X), to the FSD computer. You still need to purchase the software to enable the features the FSD computer brings.

Yes, acknowledge that and aware; but from my view just getting the AP hw upgraded to AP3/FSD hw in a proactive way is a big plus for us in Europe (I'm in Sweden) since full FSD isn't possible yet based on the current legislation in place.

I did the Infotainment upgrade on my MS75D AP2 (2017:6 with 85kWh battery) a week ago and only expected the MCU and the dashboard screen to be upgraded. When leaving the car at SC they indicated that it's actually 3 components being replaced and the third component was the AP hw - which I wasn't aware about. :D So big bonus! With FSD is possible it's just a matter of paying for the FSD feature and software upgrade and I'm good to go (I hope). Also, since Tesla upgraded the AP hw from v2 to v3 I now also have functional Sentry Mode with camera recording which was an additional bonus.

About the RCCB cameras, what YY/MM did the cameras get full colours all around - was that the 2019 Mars/May refresh? Actually thought that AP2.5 cars did have full colour recording on all cameras.

just getting the AP hw upgraded to AP3/FSD hw in a proactive way is a big plus for us in Europe
I totally agree with you! Big plus not just for Europe.

The thing is, as with all things Tesla, it wasn't a good deed on their behalf. You payed for the FSD computer and Tesla didn't ask if you wanted it or not. Granted, probably no one is going to reject it. That's why AP1 vehicles pay less for the Infotainment Upgrade, as the AP computer on their vehicles is not upgraded.

At some point during the R&D process of upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 vehicles, Tesla realized that they could gather lots and lots of better data for their Autopilot Neural Network if the fleet providing this data had much higher processing power, ie. the FSD computer.

AP1 vehicles only have one front facing monochrome camera with a very limited field of view, with it's AP computer located within the camera housing, but most importantly, as @WhiteWi mentioned, the hardware and software is proprietary of MobileEye, so Tesla won't even touch it. You could argue that small snippets of video from an AP1 monochrome camera can also help train the NN, but for nearly all cases, training requires several camera angles to determine what happened. That's where the 8 cameras from the AP2/2.5/3 vehicles come into play. Some people say that even the current 8 cameras are not enough for "Full Self Driving", as the current suite has some large blind spots in the front fenders between the headlights and the side repeater cameras.

I now also have functional Sentry Mode with camera recording which was an additional bonus.

This is the reason why I had the Infotainment Upgrade done on my 2017 Model S. I just wanted the full DashCam/Sentry features with USB recording. For me, the actual MCU2 and all it's Netflix/YouTube, fast navigation, Caraoke, working web browser glory, was just the bonus.

About the RCCB cameras, what YY/MM did the cameras get full colours all around - was that the 2019 Mars/May refresh? Actually thought that AP2.5 cars did have full colour recording on all cameras.

Teslas with build date from October 2016 to August 2017 have AP2.0 hardware, (regardless of the computer installed on the vehicle), which means they have RCCC cameras. Teslas with build date from August 2017 to April 2019 have AP2.5 hardware, so RCCB cameras.

Neither have full color cameras, the only difference is the filters within the camera sensor. Inside the sensor each pixel is represented by 4 photoreceptors, with a combination of filters. AP2.0 cameras produce a sort of reddish black and white image because they have a Red-Clear-Clear-Clear (RCCC) filter. Fun fact, multiple same filters increases the light sensitivity of the sensor, so AP2.0 cameras, like the ones on your Model S, produce a much better image for the FSD computer, but not so much for the human eye. At some point, Tesla realized that with the introduction of the DashCam and Sentry features, videos would now be seen by users, so they added a blue filter to the camera sensor, hence the Red-Clear-Clear-Blue (RCCB) filter on AP2.5 cameras.

With RCCB, there is no green filter to make them full color or to improve the nighttime light sensitivity lost with the addition of the blue filter, but green can be calculated by the AP computer in order to make a semi full color image for the DashCam and Sentry videos at night.

Sorry for the long post 😬. I hope this helps to clear why AP1 vehicles are actually impossible to upgrade to the FSD computer and why the AP cameras vary on the image they produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tastee
Thanks for a very insightful response which can't be too long :) As for many others, the reason for upgrading the MCU1 to MCU2 was that it's just felt slow and I've also over the recent year noticed that audio sometimes stutters regardless of audio source due to that the CPU is squezed to it's limit. So as I wasn't aware about the AP hw update I thinking to opt for FSD upgrade as well in the near future since really wanted the full sentry mode with recording. All the rest with games, netflix, etc, is as you say, nice to have and more show off :)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Good info. I have an AP1 MCU1 car, and am very on the fence about this upgrade.

I don't see myself ever using netflix or games or whatever in the car...faster response times on the screen might be nice, but i'm not sure if it's $1500 nice.

Like you, I'll probably end up doing it if I get screen yellowing or bubbling, but not until then.
I agree…$1500 is not worth it for AP1…Netflix and games are useless …unless u r sitting somewhere w wifi

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
U can’t play the games while car is moving…useless

u can’t watch a movie while car is moving….useless

unless u are constantly playing with the screen ..like an iPad…MCU2 does nothing to improve AP1 car
It improves map and overall speed with music, voice commands, etc.

And those other items are useful when charging.

It may not be “worth it” to some with AP1. But to say it’s “useless” is an exaggeration.

I had a SC Loaner Car with AP1 + MCU2 Upgrade. My car is AP1 + MCU1.

The response time with MCU2 is MUCH faster. Music loads faster, maps move more smoothly, menus move smoothly, and voice commands load much faster.

With that said, I didn't notice the map images actually loading much faster - the icon just moved and rotated more smoothly.

During that time, I took an 800 mile trip, and found myself just using my ipad and earbuds to stream stuff instead of the built in screen. Nothing wrong with Tesla theater, I just preferred using the ipad.

Overall, I still maintain my opinion - the faster response time is nice, but not $1500 nice if you only have AP1. If I had AP2, yeah i'd upgrade.

• Disagree
I had a SC Loaner Car with AP1 + MCU2 Upgrade. My car is AP1 + MCU1.

The response time with MCU2 is MUCH faster. Music loads faster, maps move more smoothly, menus move smoothly, and voice commands load much faster.

With that said, I didn't notice the map images actually loading much faster - the icon just moved and rotated more smoothly.

During that time, I took an 800 mile trip, and found myself just using my ipad and earbuds to stream stuff instead of the built in screen. Nothing wrong with Tesla theater, I just preferred using the ipad.

Overall, I still maintain my opinion - the faster response time is nice, but not $1500 nice if you only have AP1. If I had AP2, yeah i'd upgrade.
I just upgraded and the MCU portion is well worth it. I was crashing often, the UI was slow and the NAV would delay instructions. Many times past the turns or turn offs. I was late often, and blamed MCUONE. Only a few knew what I was talking about. The rest thought my dog ate my Nav. :p

You also get two new screens and wifi card! My screen was yellowing, so it was time. That might be worth it to you, as the screens do start to yellow over time.

I just upgraded and the MCU portion is well worth it. I was crashing often, the UI was slow and the NAV would delay instructions. Many times past the turns or turn offs. I was late often, and blamed MCUONE. Only a few knew what I was talking about. The rest thought my dog ate my Nav. :p

You also get two new screens and wifi card! My screen was yellowing, so it was time. That might be worth it to you, as the screens do start to yellow over time.

Actually the crashing is a good point - I've been lucky that I haven't had issue with crashing in my P90D, but if that was happening, the upgrade would be a no-brainer. I would also do it if I started getting yellowing.