Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So few s-chargers in San Antonio!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Antonio is generally hostile to EV resources of any kind. Most installations seem to happen despite their efforts to prevent them.
I remember one Tesla site that had to do extra site surveys "in case the batteries leaked". Pretty sure that was on a site that was previously a car dealer.
Its not just Tesla that are being prevented. Go look at plugshare, there are no public high speed chargers of any kind inside the 410 loop. There are a few on the 410 itself, but thats it.
That takes concerted blocking to make sure that happens.
Chances of a supercharger (or any other fast charger) in downtown San Antonio is essentially zero.

Where are you getting that percentage from? Regardless, the percentage doesn't really matter since the population size (especially greater metro area) between Houston and San Antonio is much greater. 1% EV adoption in Houston might equate to 10,000 EVs while 1% EV adoption in San Antonio might equate to just 1000 EVs. And 1% EV adoption in Poteet, TX might only equate to 1 EV. And obviously you do not need 10 superchargers in Poteet, TX just because Houston also has 10 superchargers.

With that said, SA can still use at least a couple more superchargers especially closer to downtown to help serve all of the visitors coming from outside SA. Right now, those visitors all basically go to the Huebner Oaks SC since that is the closest SC to downtown SA.

I was looking at how the CCS chargers are making their way closer to the city, but when I looked on plugshare, they are so laughable. One is a Volta and the other is another single charger near a Harley dealership. San Antonio would be a great place to spread around some urban 72k chargers.

1663852914781.png

Last edited:
As a former resident of Houston, Houston is huge...driving from one side to the other is quite a haul. Therefore you need more chargers because the "surface area" of Houston is significantly greater than San Antonio.